Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 AM

9 posts, read 26,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Since we are on the subject, what areas of Pittsburg are deemed to be okay?
you can check out neighborhood scout and look at Pittsburg, CA.
It seems the center/downtown of PIttsburg is the less desirable area, while some of the outskirts are preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
South Eastern area of Pittsburg is okay. Newer homes, less apartments, much less crime.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM

434 posts, read 1,019,283 times
I haven't lived there, but in mid-2011 I thought the Lyon Homes development area was pretty attractive, south of Leland Road and west of Bailey. I haven't visited since. A big bonus: many of the houses here are walking distance from BART.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Bay Point is an unincorporated area without its own police force or other services. It is sometimes referred to as "Gun Point," not entirely without reason. It grew up around the railroad station, and like many old industrial port areas, it declined over the years as their core business fell through. There's a lot of history there.

An Exploration of Our History: Early Bay Point, California - YouTube

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I've owned homes in both Pittsburg and Pleasant Hill.

The home in Pittsburg had twice the square footage of the one in Pleasant Hill and the one in Pleasant Hill sold for a 100k more, both in the same year.

Pittsburg housing dollars will definitely go father...

Between the two, I would still go with Pleasant Hill...

Simply things as in getting a permit from the building department differed like night and day...

Pleasant Hill was very helpful and Pittsburg very adversarial...

Neighbors in PH were a mix of older and young families with lots of improvements being made... not so in Pittsburg...

Just my experience...

Also, much closer to Oakland/SF... that extra time over Kirker Pass was a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 23,179 times
Bay Point used to be West Pittsburg, I guess Bay Point sounds less scary. That whole area depresses me, it's very far, has a decent amount of crime and the traffic is a nightmare.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 61,734 times
I've lived in the Oak Hills neighborhood of Pittsburg for almost five years, now. It's really a great neighborhood. There are big houses for reasonable prices, parks, lots of diverse people and Delta View is a good school with great, hardworking teachers who really care about the kids. Over the past few years, Pittsburg's crime rate has actually fallen to less than that of Concord, and because we're up in the hills, there's very little crime. It's nice to be able to walk to the park and see other families we know from our daughter's school there. Back in the 70s and 80s, Pittsburg got a pretty bad reputation that some people find hard to let go of, but it's improved dramatically and now is a great place to raise a family. The police have done a great job cleaning things up. When you compare what you get for your money, I'd pick Pittsburg over Concord and Pleasant Hill any day.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase2000 View Post
I've lived in the Oak Hills neighborhood of Pittsburg for almost five years, now. It's really a great neighborhood. There are big houses for reasonable prices, parks, lots of diverse people and Delta View is a good school with great, hardworking teachers who really care about the kids. Over the past few years, Pittsburg's crime rate has actually fallen to less than that of Concord, and because we're up in the hills, there's very little crime. It's nice to be able to walk to the park and see other families we know from our daughter's school there. Back in the 70s and 80s, Pittsburg got a pretty bad reputation that some people find hard to let go of, but it's improved dramatically and now is a great place to raise a family. The police have done a great job cleaning things up. When you compare what you get for your money, I'd pick Pittsburg over Concord and Pleasant Hill any day.
I sold my Pittsburg home in 2003... had to put bars on the windows.

I'm glad to hear things are much better now because 10 years ago, it was looking dismal out in the Central Addition and even though I loved the property... I just couldn't be away all day and wonder if my home was safe...

In Pleasant Hill's Gregory Gardens my home was smaller, single story on a concrete slab... never had any problems with break-ins or vandalism... sold in 2005.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buklau View Post
you can check out neighborhood scout and look at Pittsburg, CA.
It seems the center/downtown of PIttsburg is the less desirable area, while some of the outskirts are preferred.
That's too bad. it seems like they were really trying hard to make downtown a neat place. I have driven there at night and I guess they put it together just when the recession hit. I see a few places to eat and some nice locations for more eateries. One thing I did wonder is can the city support the eateries. I saw very few black people and virtually no hispanics in the downtown restaurants. I did drive by the soccer field at night and saw a taqueria that was near it and it was packed. Do most people in Pittsburg just leave town to go out to eat?

Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,824 times
Default arethepleasanthill/concordandbaypoint/pittsburgareasgoodorbad

:Hi ,O.M.G. let me tell you I am living it as we e-speak!!!! I moved to baypoint from Martinez 5 years ago and I am getting second p/t job so i can move back. You should try to visit pittsburg/baypoint . BayPoint is so bad ,alot of people lurking at nite, lot of gun shot sounds,bodies found in parks.The animal neglect and abuse literally blows my mind .Just a couple of weeks ago my son and I watched police HAULING AS__ down our st. and swoop on a uhaul that we noticed parked in different spots over a couple day period..well it was a woman about 50 or so and a younger man they pulled them out ,handcuffed them and opened the back of truck and it was almost full from top to bottom with stacked small animal wire cages every single one had one some had two small dogs. we watched for 2 hours while animal control trucks came and went. There is alot of theft ..cars, yards,homes..There are so many homeless living at end of n.bellavista that when wind shifts you smell urine..Please come see 4 self.If you have kids you wont want to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland