Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Pleasanton and I am trying to figure out where to live starting in June. I am thinking about downtown Walnut Creek because of the nightlife. Can anyone recommend any apartments or condo complexes where I can find people my age, young twenties. Having a garage would be a plus. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I think it's interesting that people take a commute for granted, and so, choose places to live that suit their taste, rather than preferring to live where they work. I prefer to live where I can walk to work, or take a short bus ride, if possible. I'm told that's un-American of me, though. That's how Europeans live, not Americans, I'm told.

Whatever. Carry on. Don't mind me. :-/

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think it's interesting that people take a commute for granted, and so, choose places to live that suit their taste, rather than preferring to live where they work. I prefer to live where I can walk to work, or take a short bus ride, if possible. I'm told that's un-American of me, though. That's how Europeans live, not Americans, I'm told.

Whatever. Carry on. Don't mind me. :-/
Exactly. Most of these threads seem to rule out almost immediately living right in the vicinity, for various reasons and assuming a commute.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Traffic from Walnut Creek to Pleasanton and back can be really bad during commute times.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 03-12-2013 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,621 times
I lived in Pleasanton last summer and did not meet many people my age there. Are there any better areas closer than Walnut Creek like Dublin?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy387 View Post
I lived in Pleasanton last summer and did not meet many people my age there. Are there any better areas closer than Walnut Creek like Dublin?
No, if you want nightlife and a higher concentration of young professionals go with Walnut Creek. I don't think a reverse commute from Oakland/Berkeley would be that terrible either.

I've dealt with long commutes before because I understand not wanting to live in a place you find too boring and that doesn't fit you.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Walnut Creek will be your best bet. There is a brand new Archstone Walnut Creek right at the Pleasant Hill BART station, which means you're not near downtown, where the nightlife is, but it's a big complex, near the freeway, and should have a decent demographic of young professionals. Also, there is a great ClubSport fitness club across the street that gets a lot of young professionals. You could get to downtown in five minutes. If you want to be downtown, I'd look on Craigslist for condo rentals by private owners. There are some nice buildings like the Mercer downtown, as well as a bunch of others clustered right above the Habit and Yogurtland (can't remember the names). There are also lots of older and smaller, affordable apartment buildings in the area, that aren't as nice but may be okay as a starter place.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy387 View Post

Assuming you are young and single, the answer is negative. Pleasanton is knee deep in soccer moms territory, your best bet really is Walnut Creek, even though WC is still a bedroom community, it's one with a vibrant downtown.

You'll want to look at the apts around Walnut Creek BART on Ygnacio Valley Rd. There are lots of them there. Your best bet should you choose to live in WC is to BART to Pleasanton, assuming your office is not too far from the station.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Your best bet should you choose to live in WC is to BART to Pleasanton, assuming your office is not too far from the station.
That would take over an hour, require two transfers, and would not be efficient at all. Taking the bus from WC BART to Pleasanton BART is only 30 minutes. Driving would be the best option or the Express Bus over BART.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I don't think WC has quite enough night life to warrant adding in all of that commute time.

OP, you might as well live adjacent to Pleasanton, and just go somewhere more fun to socialize. WC is about 15 minutes from Pleasaton/Dublin off-peak. And 20-30 minutes from Oakland/Berkeley most times of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland