Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 17,609 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Bay Area and have been searching for a decent apartment in CL. I found quite a few that meets my need (see end of post). However, when I try to do research of the apartment, I found bad reviews of the apartment, from Yelp, ApartmentRatings.com, etc.

mod cut

I am not looking for a luxury apartment or areas that are "unsafe" (been reading many other threads). My ideal apartment is:

- Studio max $1200
- Accept cat
- Have parking garage
- I will work in SF (Market St.), so need somewhere that is close to BART - I don't mind 35-40 minutes BART ride.

Can anyone make any recommendation?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: sorry, no consumer complaint reviews here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Since you're looking in Alameda, your best bet is to go for a small "mom & pop" landlord as opposed to a big complex managed by a property-management company. Those bad reviews are there for a reason. Of course there's no guarantee that you won't end up with a sh*tty landlord anyway, but my own experience with 2 rentals in Alameda was quite positive. One of them was a condo, which is a good way to go since the building is likely to be occupied mainly by owners, who have more of a vested interest in maintaining a nice building.

OTOH my current landlord in San Francisco (who runs his own PM company) is a major a-hole.

Oh, and there aren't really any "unsafe" areas in Alameda, though the area around Webster St. is Section 8 land.

As for being close to BART, Alameda is geographically close to both the West Oakland and Fruitvale stations, but getting to them can be a pain.

Last edited by pch1013; 04-01-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the information! Yes, I am looking for those "mom-and-pop" rental but there are not many of them, at least not the ones I see in CL. The ones I DID see are in-laws with street parking and no pets.

I did look at Alameda, but I am open for other areas if you (or anyone) have recommendation per my criteria above.

For Alameda, is there a TransBay direct bus from Alameda to SF? I was looking at Albany and there are a few such bus which arrives at the Central Bus terminal in SF.

PS: I was looking at Santa Clara because I thought I can take the Bullet Train but it'll still take me 2 hours!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
I am moving to Bay Area and have been searching for a decent apartment in CL. I found quite a few that meets my need (see end of post). However, when I try to do research of the apartment, I found bad reviews of the apartment, from Yelp, ApartmentRatings.com, etc.

The bad reviews are consistent (I read each review to make sure it's not bogus), such as pest problem, management took months to fix issue, car broken into, etc. mod cut

I am not looking for a luxury apartment or areas that are "unsafe" (been reading many other threads). My ideal apartment is:

- Studio max $1200
- Accept cat
- Have parking garage
- I will work in SF (Market St.), so need somewhere that is close to BART - I don't mind 35-40 minutes BART ride.

Can anyone make any recommendation?
My suggestion is to look a little further out, since BART is decently quick. In Alameda you're not going to get a very nice place for the money; you'll like your options better in Walnut Creek and the surrounding area, and the door-to-door travel time would likely be exactly the same.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
For Alameda, is there a TransBay direct bus from Alameda to SF? I was looking at Albany and there are a few such bus which arrives at the Central Bus terminal in SF.
Yes, there are 3 transbay bus lines that travel from Alameda to SF. The only drawback is that they can get stuck in bridge traffic, but otherwise they're a nice way to travel -- they even have WiFi on board.

Another option is the ferry, but then you'll have to find a way to get to a ferry terminal -- neither of which is conveniently located to where most people live.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
..you'll like your options better in Walnut Creek and the surrounding area...
I am looking at Walnut Creek but can you recommend these other "surrounding areas"?

Some of my friends do not recommend Antioch or Pittsburg due to the crime and some of the apartments have questionable individuals (rowdy neighbors, drugs, unsafe parking, etc.). They also say East Oakland and some parts of San Leandro and Hayward are a no-no.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Consider El Cerrito also.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I am looking at Walnut Creek but can you recommend these other "surrounding areas"?
There's Concord and, um... let me think... Concord. Apparently it has its share of sketchy areas, but I'm sure they're nowhere near as unpleasant as Antioch, West Oakland, etc.

The upscale suburbs of Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda (collectively known as Lamorinda) west of WC are all on BART, but I don't know whether there are many affordable rentals there. I suspect not.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Speaking of BART, is it easy to find parking in BART station in the morning or do I have to be there by 7:00 AM to even get a spot?

I tried to get a monthly BART parking but I am on a "waiting list".

Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
It depends on the station. Some are very full by 6:30-7:00 AM and others have spaces all day that are open.

Quote:
Speaking of BART, is it easy to find parking in BART station in the morning or do I have to be there by 7:00 AM to even get a spot?

I tried to get a monthly BART parking but I am on a "waiting list".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland