Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Advertisements

I am visiting the San Francisco area in June. I will be there 3 days before going to Sacramento. I would like to know the popular tourist destinations in the area - good views of Golden Gate Bridge, the ocean, downtown. I know about Golden Gate Park and Fisherman's Wharf. Is there something similar to Space Needle and what exactly is Lands End?

Last edited by Botev1912; 04-29-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
You should do the following...

Start in Union Square and walk to Chinatown to North Beach (Little Italy) to Telegraph Hill (Coit Tower) to Filbert Steps (Google It) to Fisherman's Wharf via Embarcadero Drive to Ghirardelli Square and then take the Cable Car from there back to Union Square. This can be done in one day easily.

Twin Peaks has incredible views and "The View" inside the San Francisco Marriot Marquis Hotel has amazing views. If you have a car I would highly recommend going across the Golden Gate Bridge to Battery Spencer for some amazing views of Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, and the Bay Area.

If you are interested in food trucks, you can check out "Off The Grid" which host events for food truck vendors to meet in one area. The biggest meet up is on Friday nights at Fort Mason. There is some interesting food, but it's more for the atmosphere.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
a) Coit Tower is pretty good to get a nice view of the city, you gotta pay for the elevator though. Just standing on top of the hill at the base of the tower gives you a pretty good view for free. I think the Transamerica Building or Bank of America Building might have elevators for tourists, probably gotta pay too though. Those are the two highest bldgs in the city I think.

b) Lands End is basically the NW corner of the city, in Lincoln Park which is mainly a golf course. There's a really nice and fairly rugged trail along the edge of the park, way up high on a cliff. Really great views of the Golden Gate Bridge from it. Definitely one of my favorite outdoors places to go in SF, it's a little strenuous but much easier than hiking up a hill like Bernal Hill. Also it's close to some bus lines.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I would also go and see the views at the Cliff House and Fort Funston. In Oakland, visit Oakland Museum of California (close to Lake Merritt BART).

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
While in SF, I would highly recommend taking some time to get away from the popular tourist areas and visiting at least one locals' neighborhood such as the Lower Haight, Inner Sunset, Noe Valley, Polk Street, or even the Mission. These places feel totally different than the Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf tourist corridor. Not that there's anything wrong with Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. They're both very vibrant and exciting areas to be. I just think it's a shame that so many visitors leave the city thinking they've "done SF" after taking a walk through Pier 39.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Is there something similar to Space Needle and what exactly is Lands End?
The only thing similar to the Space Needle with great views is Coit Tower Coit Tower San Francisco. Limited parking - take a bus.

Lands End is near the Cliff House in the far northwestern part of the city. "N" Judah light rail from downtown goes near there. Cliff House and Sutro Baths

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In Oakland, visit Oakland Museum of California (close to Lake Merritt BART).
I was going to chime in and say the same thing. The Oakland Museum is great! You could time it on a Friday and check out off the grid.

If you can get lucky, an Art Deco tour of downtown Oakland is really good.

Oakland Heritage Alliance runs them, as does the city of Oakland.

Back to SF? The Cartoon Art Museum is really great. As is the Asian Art Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland