Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Never been to Napa Valley, mostly because my wife and I do not drink alcohol. So we thought there was nothing there for us.

Still worth a visit for other stuff? IF so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
There is nice stuff, but it's a bit expensive. Good restaurants, good spas, you're close to Lake Berryessa if you have a boat or rent one. So I think it's worth it for a weekend getaway, if you want to pamper yourself. If you're not into pampering yourself, then I think there are plenty of other places to go that would be just as beautiful but cost a lot less.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
There is nice stuff, but it's a bit expensive. Good restaurants, good spas, you're close to Lake Berryessa if you have a boat or rent one. So I think it's worth it for a weekend getaway, if you want to pamper yourself. If you're not into pampering yourself, then I think there are plenty of other places to go that would be just as beautiful but cost a lot less.
Would you mind suggesting alternatives for a "weekend getaway" (that's what I have in mind ). Strangely I have not visited the "touristy" destination that are close to the Bay Area, like Napa Valley or Sacramento. I did make a brief day trip to Monterrey to visit the aquarium in the past, but didn't do much else, so that could be an option as well...

Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM

14,681 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Santa Cruz is nice if you like the beach and want to see a hippie town still in existence (Berkeley doesn't count). You could also drive the extra 2 hours to Tahoe or Yosemite.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
There is great natural beauty along highway 29. Great restaurants also. Worth a trip, in my opinion!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Title says it all. Never been to Napa Valley, mostly because my wife and I do not drink alcohol. So we thought there was nothing there for us.

Not worth it if you don't appreciate wine. You are better off going to Monterey and Carmel By The Sea. Downtown Napa has a lot of "for lease" signs... seeing the homes of my favorite wines were great, but other than that it is nothing special.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
If you're good with exploring other places besides Napa Valley, Yountville is a fantastic little town for fine dining and checking out small art galleries/boutiques. The town of Sonoma has a beautiful historical plaza with some great cafes/restaurants/shops and the famous Sonoma Cheese factory. It's fun to just hang out there and people watch/amble.

If you like hiking/picnicking etc, there are some really gorgeous places to do that also..Jack London State Park is really fun place to explore...Jack London State Historic Park

This place is supposed to be fantastic and a real splurge if you're looking for a spa sort of weekend..Napa Valley Hotel, Restaurant & Spa Resort | Auberge du Soleil

Napa has a wonderful gourmet market (there used to be a huge garden and wine museum next door as well, but not sure if it's still around). Oxbow Public Market Napa CA

I think there's loads to do if you don't drink. Frankly I've never done the wine tasting thing because I would probably drink too much or visit too many wineries and not be able to get home safely!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

Why bother? There's so much more to see in the area. Redwood forests, unique historic sites, beaches. Wineries? ...meh.

http://www.fortrossstatepark.org/ Russian fort, from the days of Russian Alaska.
http://www.parks.sonoma.net/lachryma.html The home of the last Mexican military governor of northern CA.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-16-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 04:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Oh yeah...just remembered this place. Really fun if you're into this kind of thing...The Petrified Forest

Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
do you like to bike? Napa and Sonoma can be nice for bikers, although i far prefer Sonoma County for biking over Napa..

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland