Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Again thanks! Is Lowell a lottery high school or??? How would she get in?
Lowell is not a lottery school,it's a school for students with high academics (who make the cut off). http://www.sfusd.edu/en/enroll-in-sf...plication.html

Admission guidelines http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd...ication_en.pdf

You must live in SF at the time of submitting an application, and must remain living in SF throughout the time your kid attends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM

268 posts, read 357,989 times
[quote=twins4lynn;29665582]Lowell is not a lottery school,it's a school for students with high academics (who make the cut off). http://www.sfusd.edu/en/enroll-in-sf...plication.html

Admission guidelines http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd...ication_en.pdf

You must live in SF at the time of submitting an application, and must remain living in SF throughout the time your kid attends.[/
Looks like a school with very high expectations and discipline

Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Looks like a school with very high expectations and discipline
Yes, Lowell is an excellent high school. All the kids are high academic (they have to be to get in ). Hard to get in, though. Very competitive (although I don't know how the competition is for admission in the higher grades). And if you don't get in you're stuck with one of the other SF high schools.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM

OP - I just want to mention that if you consider other high schools on the peninsula (that are under the SMUHSD...which includes Mills, Burlingame, Aragon, etc.), you have to take into consideration that there are enrollment periods which already passed for the 2013/2014 school year. If you move to a city specifically for the high school, and it has reached capacity, your child will be enrolled at another high school in the district which has room. San Mateo Union High School District: Enrollment I know you are carefully considering locations and schools and thought you should be aware of this.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
She will be a senior next year. What would the options in terms of high school be for her? Many thanks to all
Transferring schools just for the senior year is almost always a bad idea and can run into graduation problems because of credit discrepanicies. For example in San Francisco a semester length Health course is required for graduation. In some other high schools a geography class is required but other schools systems do not even offer that type of class. How does your daughter feel about transferring to a new school just for her senior year?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 PM

^I never thought of that, and, yes, that can be a problem. However, the OP stated his daughter has lots of AP's, so most likely it wouldn't be math/english/history/language requirements missing, but rather the health or PE difference of one school district to another. Absolutely something for him to check into (and grad info should be listed on each schools website). The SMUHSD schools (Mills, Burlingame, Aragon, etc.) all require 2 years of PE, 2 years foreign language, 1 year performing arts, and a semester of health along with the math/history/english/science requirements. Since students can take 7 classes (although most seniors take 5 or 6) a student transferring in senior year and already taking AP classes would be able to do a catch up of the other academics required by the new school without too much difficulty.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM

thanks for all the info. If I could leave her where she is for the senior year I would but restructuring at the work place has brought me to look for a new job. There is no choice here . I know that technically she has enough credits to graduate here in Carmel Indiana ( that it seems is a very high rated school) with one semester in her senior year.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
thanks for all the info. If I could leave her where she is for the senior year I would but restructuring at the work place has brought me to look for a new job. There is no choice here . I know that technically she has enough credits to graduate here in Carmel Indiana ( that it seems is a very high rated school) with one semester in her senior year.
Here are the high school rankings for San Mateo county which will give you a starting point for research. I suggest focusing on Burlingame as a first choice. Maybe Terra Nova in Pacifica as a second choice. I would personally avoid Daly City,South San Francisco and San Bruno in your particular situation. Also it seems unlikely you will make the June transfer application deadline for Lowell in San Francisco.

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - San Mateo County

Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks. You are correct that I will probably not meet the Lowell June deadline .
I hope other schools are good!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Brisbane is the city next to SSF, however Brisbane feeds into the Jefferson High School District (which includes the cities of Daly City, Colma, Brisbane and Pacifica).
Right. I mis-wrote that, you're right, it's Jefferson. But there is no actual HS located in Brisbane. Kids have to go over the hill. Those schools are not anything to write home about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland