Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM

296 posts, read 625,879 times

Advertisements

This particular perk that certain high-level BART employees received burns me up. It should be available to all BART employees, or stopped altogether. BART's top-level employees' vacation bank tops 69 years of unused time off - Inside Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I actually believe government employees should NOT have the right to go on strike because their employer is the government which is funded by us. It's completely different if a union for a private company wants to go on strike.
Absolutely! We own them. They are our slaves.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
They already receive more benefits than the average working American, so why should they be able to skip work, forcing us to find alternative methods to work, so we can then pay taxes so they can keep their benefits and wages?

I wonder what would happen to the average American if he/she didn't show up to work and said I want more benefits and pay or else I'm not working! He/She would be fired and someone who actually has a strong work ethic would come in and be given a chance to better their lives.

I know plenty of people who would love to have the same pay and benefits as BART employees. Some of the people on this forum are starting to make me want to join the other party, which is quite shocking to me.

It is a bit scary when you see people actually believe everyone is entitled to $100k salaries with great benefits without having to produce anything. Do they truly think the government can just keep increasing taxes, fines, fees and printing money without a negative reaction?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
I hope all the BART employees get fired and they change the rules and hire a new crew

Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 13,747 times
It wouldn't be all too difficult to hire and train a new crew, takes approximately 15 weeks from what I hear. But it would take too long and too much productivity lost. Talks resuming, but hopefully management doesn't cave in too much, I feel their current offer is much better than 2009's deal.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL... Dream on! They already own us taxpayers.. Public employees in bay area, police and fire in particular, will continue with their extortionist demand of salary and benefits and there is nothing we can do. Recently a fire dept guy in SF was drving the fire truck drunk and hit a motorcycle... This is what 200k/yr. gets.. Bay areas finest. I say there is zero chance this guy will be disciplined in any way.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
It's kind of ironic that the one industry that routinely gives employees raises, the tech sector, is the one that has abandoned public transit with their own shuttles.

I'm not sure why the BART unions think that economic times are good so they deserve a raise. Most people are not getting raises, unless they're in tech. Tech is a big part of the problem because they don't pay their fair share in taxes at all. People not getting raises or good jobs is a global issue, but it's especially an issue in the US. Everyone should be rioting and organizing to get a good life for themselves, but instead everyone either just cowers and says nothing or they defend everything that Corporate America does to screw over the middle class. Meanwhile unions like BART's divide everyone by screwing over passengers so they can get paid more, when they should be joining with the middle class to fight for everyone to get a raise and a decent job.

I know that's pretty rantish and scrambled but the problem really is a lot bigger than BART. This economy is screwing over everyone and we just ask for more. Considering how much wealth is in the US there's no reason for us to have so much poverty or have such a fragile middle class, but we rationalize it and have decided that it's normal, or that we deserve to be so dispossessed. Happy 4th, everyone.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It's kind of ironic that the one industry that routinely gives employees raises, the tech sector, is the one that has abandoned public transit with their own shuttles.

I'm not sure why the BART unions think that economic times are good so they deserve a raise. Most people are not getting raises, unless they're in tech. Tech is a big part of the problem because they don't pay their fair share in taxes at all. People not getting raises or good jobs is a global issue, but it's especially an issue in the US. Everyone should be rioting and organizing to get a good life for themselves, but instead everyone either just cowers and says nothing or they defend everything that Corporate America does to screw over the middle class. Meanwhile unions like BART's divide everyone by screwing over passengers so they can get paid more, when they should be joining with the middle class to fight for everyone to get a raise and a decent job.

I know that's pretty rantish and scrambled but the problem really is a lot bigger than BART. This economy is screwing over everyone and we just ask for more. Considering how much wealth is in the US there's no reason for us to have so much poverty or have such a fragile middle class, but we rationalize it and have decided that it's normal, or that we deserve to be so dispossessed. Happy 4th, everyone.
Did you see the Wal-Mart thread? My GAWD! I couldn't believe how virulently people insisted the company's practices were normal, standard, even sound business practices, and that employees count for nothing! People said businesses don't owe their employees anything, not even a 40-hr. week, let alone health care! Seriously! It's alarming what's happened to people's thinking processes.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
LOL... Dream on! They already own us taxpayers.. Public employees in bay area, police and fire in particular, will continue with their extortionist demand of salary and benefits and there is nothing we can do. Recently a fire dept guy in SF was drving the fire truck drunk and hit a motorcycle... This is what 200k/yr. gets.. Bay areas finest. I say there is zero chance this guy will be disciplined in any way.
WRONG!

He will have to endure paid temporary leave otherwise known as a paid vacation!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I hope all the BART employees get fired and they change the rules and hire a new crew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland