Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM

35 posts, read 56,984 times

Advertisements

Wonderful post ttocs99. Over a year ago went to V Sattui and loved that place. The picnic area is awesome. Ordered a case of varietals and shipped to home Last year went back to SF area with bunch of friends but didn't make it to V Sattui, instead we went to another winery with a castle built there, can't' remember the name. Some of them had never been there before so we did quite few tourist spots. Truly enjoyed the trip.

Btw, a friend of mine took me to a Burger joint near the Marina area and their burger was quite good. My friend told me, it's a very popular place. Planning of going back there soon. My son is planning of doing internship next summer in one of the companies in Silicon Valley and once he graduates in a year hopefully he can get a job there too.
Btw, my niece's daughter will be attending BU and her dad graduated from there.

You mentioned you lived in Walnut Creek before. How long ago was that? We are interested in Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek areas. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinsight View Post
Wonderful post ttocs99. Over a year ago went to V Sattui and loved that place. The picnic area is awesome. Ordered a case of varietals and shipped to home Last year went back to SF area with bunch of friends but didn't make it to V Sattui, instead we went to another winery with a castle built there, can't' remember the name. Some of them had never been there before so we did quite few tourist spots. Truly enjoyed the trip.

Btw, a friend of mine took me to a Burger joint near the Marina area and their burger was quite good. My friend told me, it's a very popular place. Planning of going back there soon. My son is planning of doing internship next summer in one of the companies in Silicon Valley and once he graduates in a year hopefully he can get a job there too.

You mentioned you lived in Walnut Creek before. How long ago was that? We are interested in Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek areas. Thanks for sharing.
Was it a chain-like burger, but still super crafty? The Marina area has a Super-Duper Burger (Small SF chain), a Roam (Small SF chain) and an Umami Burger (small California chain). All are excellent, in my opinion. The best in town may be around the Embarcadero at the Ferry Building, though. Not only do they have an outpost of Gott's Roadside (which you may have seen in St. Helena) but they also have a Prather Ranch counter there, fresh grinding grass-fed premium beef. The burgers are sublime.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,191,411 times
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words. I think the winery you went to is also owned by the guy who owns V Sattui. This might have been the place ? I'm dying to go to that place, and may go there next time.

Castello di Amorosa

As far as Walnut Creek, I lived there from 1999-2006, and it was the best 7 years of my life. Coming from NYC, I truly appreciated the slower paced life there, and in California in general. Not just that, I absolutely love Walnut Creek's downtown area, which luckily for me, was a short walk from my apartment. It was literally a 3 or 4 minute walk and I was in Downtown WC. I loved all of the restaurants and stores, there are both big chain restaurants like Ruth Chris' Steak House, PF Chang's and Cheesecake Factory, etc. And there were family owned restaurants that are only in Walnut Creek. So a great mixture of things. Then, also, big chain stores, of which, I spent a ton of time in The Apple Store, Borders before it went out of business, but if you have some richer tastes, they even have a Tiffany's ! Also, family owned businesses as well. Just a very convenient area, and enjoyable just walking around town, hitting the farmer's market, etc. Wonderful memories of Walnut Creek, and I plan on moving back there eventually.

Pleasant Hill, I liked that area almost as much as Walnut Creek. I liked the shopping area, which also has restaurants, and a great movie theater. In fact, even after they built a movie theater in Walnut Creek, my ex-wife and I preferred the Pleasant Hill movie theater. The ex-wife and I also enjoyed Balck Angus Steak House in Pleasant Hill, went there often. Not as good as the Ruth Chris' of the world, but very good for the price.

Black Angus Steakhouse, Restaurant

Love both areas. But really, to each their own, you have to spend time in both areas, and decide which one you like better. FYI, I have a great screen saver pic of Walnut Creek on my computer in my office where I work, that might tell you how much I love WC.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Was it a chain-like burger, but still super crafty? The Marina area has a Super-Duper Burger (Small SF chain), a Roam (Small SF chain) and an Umami Burger (small California chain). All are excellent, in my opinion. The best in town may be around the Embarcadero at the Ferry Building, though. Not only do they have an outpost of Gott's Roadside (which you may have seen in St. Helena) but they also have a Prather Ranch counter there, fresh grinding grass-fed premium beef. The burgers are sublime.
Believe it or not, they JUST opened up a Umami Burger in Manhattan NY. Dying to try it out.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM

189 posts, read 362,591 times
Tell you sister to forget Boston and the whole east coast in general. Too cold, and full of rude unfriendly people.

Come on over to the Best (West) Coast.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Tell you sister to forget Boston and the whole east coast in general. Too cold, and full of rude unfriendly people.

Come on over to the Best (West) Coast.
You're preaching to the choir my friend. But my sister is a hardcore Boston fan, as is my nephew. We go there twice a year now, once for my sister's birthday weekend (late October), and now for my nephew's birthday weekend (Early April). I myself have a fondness for Boston, probably my third favorite large city (behind SF and NY). I'm a big Patriot's fan, so I've been to Boston at least 20 times in my life. My sister is our guide, she knows it like the back of her hand (where as I'm the SF guide). Funnily enough, on our way back to NYC from SF, my nephew blurted out that he liked SF better than Boston, BUT, I think a lot of it has to do with being in the moment, and the newness of it.

Believe me, I'll keep working on brain washing the kid to lean towards the West Coast, lol.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
Believe it or not, they JUST opened up a Umami Burger in Manhattan NY. Dying to try it out.
It's very good. They make everything, down to the ketchup, fresh on-site. It's a bit weak on the value side, but good for flavor/ingredients.

That said, I'm still a sucker for a good ol' Gott's or Prather Ranch burger from the Ferry Building.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 PM

dalparadise, yup, it's the Super-Duper Burger. I didn't know it's a SF chain. I even took picture of the signage so I won't forget it Will try other recommendations too. Thanks

ttocs99, I was in the East Coast last week and stayed with family in Boston area and NY for few days. Fun places to visit.
Yes, that's the one, Castello de Amorosa. Didn't know same guy owns it. I heard from the tour guide that it was built as a replica from a european castle. It's really huge and their tasting room is in the lowest level and kind a dark. No picnic area like in V Sattui.

Greatly appreciates your info re Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. I read that Iron Horse Trail is accessible from these areas. My husband and I like to ride our bikes, run or hike. So when I search for places, I will also check if parks or trails are close-by. We've have been coming to Ca too many times and visited many parts of the state. I passed by these areas a long time ago because a friend of mine lives in Pittsburg and still lives there. I just didn't have a chance to visit her last year. Maybe in the coming months. Btw, I like the BART system too.
I read the East Bay can get really hot in the summer. We live in the Midwest and like cooler months. Is northern part of Ca cooler during summer? We'll try to rent first and explore places. Livermore come in mind too. Thanks all.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
dalparadise, yup, it's the Super-Duper Burger. I didn't know it's a SF chain. I even took picture of the signage so I won't forget it Will try other recommendations too. Thanks

ttocs99, I was in the East Coast last week and stayed with family in Boston area and NY for few days. Fun places to visit.
Yes, that's the one, Castello de Amorosa. Didn't know same guy owns it. I heard from the tour guide that it was built as a replica from a european castle. It's really huge and their tasting room is in the lowest level and kind a dark. No picnic area like in V Sattui.

Greatly appreciates your info re Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. I read that Iron Horse Trail is accessible from these areas. My husband and I like to ride our bikes, run or hike. So when I search for places, I will also check if parks or trails are close-by. We've have been coming to Ca too many times and visited many parts of the state. I passed by these areas a long time ago because a friend of mine lives in Pittsburg and still lives there. I just didn't have a chance to visit her last year. Maybe in the coming months. Btw, I like the BART system too.
I read the East Bay can get really hot in the summer. We live in the Midwest and like cooler months. Is northern part of Ca cooler during summer? We'll try to rent first and explore places. Livermore come in mind too. Thanks all.
Calinsight,

There are so many different weather ecosystems in Northern California. For instance, when I was out in the Bay Area 2 weeks ago, the high averaged about 65 in SF, while out in Sausalito it averaged about 72, while out in Napa the high averaged about 80-82, while in Walnut Creek it averaged about 85. And that can change in a heartbeat, I was told by a cabdriver, that a few weeks earlier in San Francisco, that specific week the average high was 85 (which is kinda rare for SF in July). Walnut Creek can get pretty hot, it reaches 100 degrees sometimes (maybe 5 times all summer), than mid to high 90's. But the cool thing about the Bay area, it usually cools down at night. That's unlike the East Coast, where you could be 95 (and humid !) during the day, and by 9 or 10pm it's still 90.

One great tool to check how weather is in a specific town is wikipedia, it will show you the typical high and low per month for any town or city. Here's Walnut Creek's for instance.

Climate data for WALNUT CREEK 2 ESE, California (1893–1974)MonthJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNo vDecYearRecord high °F (°C)80
(27)83
(28)97
(36)94
(34)103
(39)109
(43)115
(46)112
(44)114
(46)101
(38)89
(32)76
(24)115
(46)Average high °F (°C)55
(13)61
(16)65
(18)71
(22)76
(24)83
(28)88
(31)87
(31)84
(29)77
(25)66
(19)56
(13)72.4
(22.4)Average low °F (°C)36
(2)38
(3)40
(4)43
(6)47
(8)52
(11)54
(12)54
(12)52
(11)46
(8)41
(5)37
(3)45.0
(7.2)Record low °F (°C)17
(−8)21
(−6)24
(−4)28
(−2)32
(0)34
(1)38
(3)41
(5)36
(2)27
(−3)23
(−5)18
(−8)17
(−8)Precipitation inches (mm)4.52
(114.8)3.62
(91.9)2.47
(62.7)1.38
(35.1)0.56
(14.2)0.14
(3.6)0.01
(0.3)0.04
(1)0.24
(6.1)1.05
(26.7)2.26
(57.4)3.83
(97.3)20.12
(511.1)[SIZE=4]Avg. precipitation days [/SIZE][SIZE=3](≥ 0.01 in)[/SIZE]109853100136953Source: [13][14]

If you notice, the average highs in the summer from June-Sept is around 86, where the average lows for those months (usually evenings) is 53. I loved Walnut Creek's weather, loved the cool evenings, and even when it gets hot during the day, no humidity like the East Coast.. As you notice from the chart, it hardly rains from June-Sept as well.

So as you check the towns/cities you're interested in, the charts above are really handy tools. best of luck wherever you wind up, I know you're going to love living in Northern California. I miss it every day I'm not there.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM

ttocs, thank you so much for the great effort giving me insights re Walnut Creek's weather. Good to know that it isn't as bad as I read from other posts. This is my hubby's ideal summer temperature. Two weeks ago we experienced 90's-100's here in the Midwest and also in the East Coast, it was uncomfortable. Will post updates in the near future where we end up. And surviving the long cross-country driving. Thanks again. And good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland