Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,737 times

Advertisements

Hello, I could not find an older thread on this topic but are there any Emeryville residents who have experience in commuting into the city?

Specially, I'm curious if commuting via AC transit F line from shellmound & powell stop by Bay st shops or taking the Emeryville shuttle + MacArthur BART would be quicker in the mornings? Google maps shows the bus would be quicker due to the shuttle taking 8 minutes to get to BART but I'm not sure it takes into account potential slowdowns on the bridge. I also would be commuting back in the evening between 6 to 9pm on average.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycriesx View Post
Hello, I could not find an older thread on this topic but are there any Emeryville residents who have experience in commuting into the city?

Specially, I'm curious if commuting via AC transit F line from shellmound & powell stop by Bay st shops or taking the Emeryville shuttle + MacArthur BART would be quicker in the mornings? Google maps shows the bus would be quicker due to the shuttle taking 8 minutes to get to BART but I'm not sure it takes into account potential slowdowns on the bridge. I also would be commuting back in the evening between 6 to 9pm on average.

Any insight would be appreciated!
You could try them both, and see which you prefer. I'd vote for the bus. There shouldn't be much trouble with traffic slowdowns on the bridge, because transit has its own dedicated lane. Wouldn't AC drop you off closer to your SoMa destination?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Google maps shows:
Bus line - 23 minutes bus ride + 8 minute walk to office from transbay terminal in SOMA.
Shuttle/Bart - Emery shuttle shows 8 minute ride 24 minute Bart + walk to office.

Bus looks quicker cause of no transfer so I think I'll go with that if buses don't slow down on the bridge. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycriesx View Post
Google maps shows:
Bus line - 23 minutes bus ride + 8 minute walk to office from transbay terminal in SOMA.
Shuttle/Bart - Emery shuttle shows 8 minute ride 24 minute Bart + walk to office.

Bus looks quicker cause of no transfer so I think I'll go with that if buses don't slow down on the bridge. Thanks!
Transferring from the shuttle to BART you'd lose time waiting for your BART train to come, too.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,263,802 times
It really depends on what time you need to get to the office. If you're in the middle of rush hour in the mornings, then it may not be any faster by bus. The evening commute sounds better for you by bus, though, time-wise. Also, as we get into the winter and drivers panic when it rains, then on those mornings you may be much better served choosing the BART alternative to avoid crowded roads, so you can always think of BART as a backup.

One more option: Drive to West Oakland BART station and park there (I wish the Emeryville shuttle went there but it's not a transfer station), then take BART just ONE station to Embarcardero. That'll be your fastest, but you pay extra for parking, and West Oakland does have some car break-ins here and there.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The bus schedule takes into account typical congestion on the bridge. After a 2 year constant bus commute to SF, it was rarely more than 5 minutes off schedule. I think there were 1-2 days where it was more than 10 minutes off.

Side benefit for the bus? You'll get a seat. Not typically super crowded. The F might even have wifi. Or perhaps the J. One of those 2 does.

The way home actually takes a few minutes longer, there is a backup until about 6:30. At least in my direction. After that it is smooth sailing.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The bus schedule takes into account typical congestion on the bridge. After a 2 year constant bus commute to SF, it was rarely more than 5 minutes off schedule. I think there were 1-2 days where it was more than 10 minutes off.

Side benefit for the bus? You'll get a seat. Not typically super crowded. The F might even have wifi. Or perhaps the J. One of those 2 does.

The way home actually takes a few minutes longer, there is a backup until about 6:30. At least in my direction. After that it is smooth sailing.
You can't go wrong with Jade's Bay Area advice, OP. She's the undisputed ruler of the SF/Oakland advice dept.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Take the bus. It's cheaper, faster and more comfortable. There is a special lane at the Bay Bridge toll plaza just for buses. Be aware they will be closing the BB from Aug 28-Sep 2 to prepare the new eastern span, so if you are starting soon then you will have no choice but BART for a few days.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 PM

365 posts, read 779,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Take the bus. It's cheaper, faster and more comfortable. There is a special lane at the Bay Bridge toll plaza just for buses. Be aware they will be closing the BB from Aug 28-Sep 2 to prepare the new eastern span, so if you are starting soon then you will have no choice but BART for a few days.
Actually, from MacArthur BART station to downtown the BART fare is only $3.35. All ACTransit transbay fares, regardless of how far out you are or close in -- such as Emeryville, is $4.20. If you ride the bus a lot in addition to commuting to and from work you may want to get a ACTransit transbay 31 day pass for $151.20. It's good on local buses as well as transbay buses. One other option, and the cheapest is casual car pool. The Emeryville stop is Christie south of 63rd in front of the Pacific Park. Casual car pool is free with a suggested donation to the driver of a buck.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM

@Tsieber - Good to know W. oakland has parking and can be another backup option. I ended up getting that lease in the building so thanks for your advice, look forward to moving in.
@Jade408 - THANK YOU, I wasn't sure on how crowded the F would be if I got on at one of the last stops before it went across the bridge. I'll take F from powell/shellmound I think in mornings and F/C/J home between 6 and 12 (more often it'll be after 6:30). The 31 day ac transit pass seems like it will be the best deal for me overall in case I want to use it on weekends also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland