Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move out to SF and am wondering if there are commuter neighborhoods. In NYC, for example, you have towns like Rye, Harrison, Purchase, New Rochelle, etc where many finance professionals live and commute to the city each day. They are about an hours drive/45 minute train ride outside of the city, have nice country clubs, etc. Are there similar towns in the Bay Area or do most people who work in the city actually live in the city? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 PM

157 posts, read 218,659 times
Of course there are... in Marin, the East Bay, and on the Peninsula. Where to begin?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
No. No one works in finance, no one commutes, and all the country clubs have been converted to organic farm cooperatives.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
Very helpful, thanks. I thought it was strange that a Californian would make such a response because they are generally so nice, but then I noticed that you're actually living in Texas and must have nothing better to do on a Saturday evening than go onto an online forum for a different city and state than your own and be a jerk to someone simply looking for help.

Cheers, won't be back to this site.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM

507 posts, read 917,452 times
Why so serious?

Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushco22 View Post
Very helpful, thanks. I thought it was strange that a Californian would make such a response because they are generally so nice,
Cheers, won't be back to this site.
Not sure if said op would be a good fit for the Bay if they can't take a joke.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Pretty much everything outside of SF is the suburbs of SF. Some areas are more urban, like parts of Berkeley and Oakland, but they're still not as urban as SF generally is. I think a lot of people don't realize where SF begins and ends, because they don't expect it to be so small. Or they're bad at reading maps.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
I disagree. Oakland is REALLY urban in places like Adams Point or East Lake. Downtown Berkeley is pretty compact too. Not all of SF is like Manhattan either- see Sea Cliff, St Francis Wood, and a lot of the Sunset/Richmond districts- not exactly densely populated.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Yeah, downtown Oakland is way more urban than the Outer Sunset. I was just painting a basic picture for an out of towner who seems to have no grasp of geography and doesn't seem willing to do a little online research.

OP could start here:

San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushco22 View Post
I'm contemplating a move out to SF and am wondering if there are commuter neighborhoods. In NYC, for example, you have towns like Rye, Harrison, Purchase, New Rochelle, etc where many finance professionals live and commute to the city each day. They are about an hours drive/45 minute train ride outside of the city, have nice country clubs, etc. Are there similar towns in the Bay Area or do most people who work in the city actually live in the city? Thanks!
Hundreds of thousands of people commute into San Francisco every weekday, from all directions. If you're looking for parallels to those places you listed, which are essentially a step down from the snooty Greenwich/Stamford thing, that would be places like Burlingame, Sausalito, Orinda, or Kensington. Those are all in different directions from SF and there isn't a big difference in commuting difficulty between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland