Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Ezra Klein's blog was discussing the national median household income data the other day, and I thought it might make a nice topic in this forum. Top 10% household cutoff is about 176k, top 5% is 232k. From the 5% mark you could probably haul a 1m house with 20% down. Crazy to realize the median sale price in SF is something like 870k. Bay Area has well above average HH income distribution, and I've been meaning to find a histogram to look at for my own contemplation. I imagine the long tail is quite a bit fatter than nationally. Makes me reconsider my career options if I want to stay for a while. I'd especially like to see the crosstabs with home ownership, original mortgage amount, and current equity and value. Maybe I've missed the bubble/appreciation boat and could be priced out of the market forever.

I'm also interested in data on rent control. Number of units, controlled rate vs market, length of tenancy, etc. Blog comments are fun popcorn but devoid of any real analysis.
Median house price is 870k in SF??? That's dirt cheap! It just crossed a million recently and a million will get you a 2 bedroom condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM

119 posts, read 233,639 times
I think most inhabitants of SF and Bay Area try overly hard to convince themselves that it's worth living here.

It seems that many have either never lived elsewhere b/c the standard of living here is very low. You pay an exorbitant tax rate for low govt services. You pay exorbitant living costs for deplorable homes and apartments (yes, ther are exceptions), and you brag about the weather that is available in many other areas in the nation.

I'm not sure if you simply don't know any better or Are so embarrassed about it that you have to vehemently defend it.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
I think most inhabitants of SF and Bay Area try overly hard to convince themselves that it's worth living here.

It seems that many have either never lived elsewhere b/c the standard of living here is very low. You pay an exorbitant tax rate for low govt services. You pay exorbitant living costs for deplorable homes and apartments (yes, ther are exceptions), and you brag about the weather that is available in many other areas in the nation.

I'm not sure if you simply don't know any better or Are so embarrassed about it that you have to vehemently defend it.
So what U.S. city do you think is the same as San Francisco but cheaper? And since you're applying an objective standard to SF and the Bay Area, please don't try to weasel out of it by saying "well, to me ...," because if you do that your entire assertion will crumble into dust.

Last edited by legal_eagle; 09-21-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Quote:

It seems that many have either never lived elsewhere b/c the standard of living here is very low...
According to which objective measures is the standard of living in the Bay Area low?

Here are just a few metrics where the Bay Area or SF region in fact is among the leaders:
- quality of live (google Mercer QOL survey, EIU survey)
- human development index (source)
- median household income (source)
- lowest obesity rates (source)

And to suggest that the Bay Area residents never lived elsewhere is utterly ridiculous. I don't have the stats handy, but let me assure you, the percentage of people that lived elsewhere is very high. In fact, I can't think of a single person I know who didn't live elsewhere or doesn't travel often.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 PM

119 posts, read 233,639 times
there's no sense getting into this argument so I will bail out.

SF is like a gilded thriftstore frame - shiny and fancy so long as you dont scratch the thin surface. . .

Old 09-21-2013, 10:43 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,670 times
Don't get me wrong, life in Bay Area is certainly not without its challenges. I just don't think that you are factually correct and perhaps quick to judge based on the stereotypes, not reality. Also something tells me that you have not been here or not spent enough time to get an idea what SF is really about. As a rule, it does not project an image of fancy or gilded. On the contrary, its predominant nature is much more along the lines of rustic charm. To some it's run down, to others it's character. A lot depends on your expectation. Nobody likes to admit that their expectations were unjustified, which leads to a lot of disappointment.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:52 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:

Other than stunning natural scenery bay area has no advantage over any other large metropolitan area but has a long list of serious disadvantages. I think in overall balance of everything, DC metro area is the best in the country. The weather is overrated here. SF has year long cold and gloomy weather and south bay has very boring blindingly sunny weather all year. I like seasons and nothing beats the beauty of snow or the sheer fun of a strong rainstorm on a hot day.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
There are many reasons I've chosen to move to the Bay Area, but three of the major reasons are cool mild climate all year, urbanism, and beautiful nature nearby.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
...diversity and inventiveness of the cuisine, art, history, proximity to Wine Country, top public and private universities, vibrant economy, Access to easy day and weekend trips, major domestic and international airline hub, pro/college sports, outdoor lifestyle, educated populace, ability to live well without a car...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I think in overall balance of everything, DC metro area is the best in the country.
Well, there are some major negatives about the DC area as well. I spent a summer there and the humidity was miserable. In addition, it seemed very stuffy, with the political scene.

However, I would agree that it has a lot to offer, at a more affordable price than the Bay Area (still expensive though). I will say that I was pleasantly surprised with the food scene over there and that it rivals SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland