Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 11,756 times

Advertisements

My start date is the middle of October. I was thinking about flying in for a few days to find a place. I was thinking about looking for something short term and then using that as a springboard to find something long term. Before I come I want to zero in on areas and focus my searches there. I don't have a car payment and 2k rent is around what I'm looking for. Thanks for all of your help and advice. Keep them rolling because I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
Default options

Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno and Pacifica are all decent suburbs and very close to the city for an easy commute. They are all working class towns, so they are not fancy in any way, but do have lots of conveniences, lots of shopping and Bart. The only areas that are a little sketchy are in Daly City on the side of 101 around Mission st. and in San Bruno east of El Camino Real - these aren't dangerous just a little more run down. Also note the area from the Pacific Ocean to hwy 280 and north of 380 is pretty foggy, most of the fog occurring in summer months.

The towns of San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, Belmont and San Carlos are all really nice suburbs with walkable downtowns and Caltrain runs through them (Millbrae also has Bart). The weather is better the towns to the north as they don't get the summer fog.

Note-you mentioned tolls - if you are working in downtown SF, you will not want to drive to work- unless your company has free parking - parking anywhere walkable to the financial district is probably $25/day.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 PM

49 posts, read 234,858 times
yeah, find short term at first if you can. Also, a finding an apartment, even short term, in a few days in the Bay Area is going to be really tough. It can take months to find a place. You may want to try "chain" rental companies. My brother used Avalon to find a place. What was nice for him was that since he was already renting from Avalon in Seattle, he didn't have to pay any penalties for breaking the lease. Downside was that he got locked into a 2 year lease. If you are leasing right now, maybe talk with your rental company to see if they have any properties here. My roommate lived in a cheap hotel in the tenderloin when he first moved and I crashed on my brothers air mattress.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I was curious to see if there was an easier way from Alameda to SF, and found this city website, which says there is an express bus from Alameda to SF:

Transportation | City of Alameda

Looks like a monthly pass is about $150.

There are shuttles to BART, and other options, too.

I've been looking at rents on the peninsula and they look to be a lot more than Alameda.

I don't understand people who say you can't live on $60,000. If you go by the general rule of thumb of your rent being 30% of your gross income, that would be $1666/mo rent. You can find a 2 bdrm apt in Alameda (and other places) for that in a decent neighborhood.

You're probably in the 25% tax bracket, so you would net $3750/month, less $1666 for rent = $2084.

You said you don't have a car payment, if I remember correctly.

Lets take out $150 for your bus pass = $1934. Then take out insurance, utilities (which are cheap because the weather is so mild), phone, internet, savings...and there's still plenty left for groceries, new shoes for the little one, maintenance on the car, some entertainment, and I'd still have some left over.

I could so easily live quite well on that much money. What is it everyone seems to think they need to spend so much money on to have a decent life here?

There is so much great free entertainment, the weather is fantastic, so there's lots of outdoor stuff to do in free parks.

You can get great deals on CA wines, produce and fresh fish. You don't need to go out every night of the week. Heck, fire up the grill and blend up some margaritas, invite some friends over and sit out on the porch. We live in paradise!

Heck with that much money, I could even afford HBO! lol

I don't see why all three of you can't live just fine on that much money. My Dad supported 4 kids and a wife and various pets on an Oakland cop's salary. And no, it wasn't because life was cheaper back then. I don't buy that argument. We rarely went out to a restaurant, Mom had a garden, and was really frugal with groceries (and yet the food was great), they had one car, we usually just went camping for vacations, and they could still afford to put us in private Catholic school. It's a matter of budgeting and priorities.

And the beach is free, too! Pack sandwiches, put some gas in the car...full day of fun for a few bucks.

I'm completely baffled by people who say nobody can afford to live here who isn't a millionaire.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, there is a toll if you drive back and forth across the Bay Bridge from the Alameda side to SF. Alameda also doesn't have a BART stop, so you'd have to drive to a BART station if you took BART to SF.

I've heard San Mateo is really nice, but don't personally know that area or Daly City.
The best method to SF from Alameda is the Transbay/commuter bus or casual carpool. It takes 20-30 minutes from most points in Alameda, and isn't as crowded as BART. It is the most pleasant way to commute to SF from most points in the east bay.

You can also take the ferry, but you have to drive to the ferry station, no buses go there.

You will absolutely find money to be very tight with your budget. Alameda might be too expensive for you, and you may need to look in other locations like Concord or Hayward. Does your wife work?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand people who say you can't live on $60,000.

I don't see why all three of you can't live just fine on that much money. My Dad supported 4 kids and a wife and various pets on an Oakland cop's salary. And no, it wasn't because life was cheaper back then. I don't buy that argument. We rarely went out to a restaurant, Mom had a garden, and was really frugal with groceries (and yet the food was great), they had one car, we usually just went camping for vacations, and they could still afford to put us in private Catholic school. It's a matter of budgeting and priorities.
This is mostly true, except that things, particularly rent, were cheaper back then. Also, it helps if you already have/had a house vs. having to make increasingly exorbitant rent payments each month.

Still, at least the OP seems to have reasonable expectations on what they can get with that salary. (i.e. not a 4 or 5 bedroom house, like this one: Can a family of four live in San Jose on a $65K income? )

Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
nomoresnow-

this family would be struggling in the city of sf were the average 2 bedroom rents for $4000

the state of california publishes low and very low income by county to determine who qualifies for public assistance

http://www.hcd.ca.gov/hpd/hrc/rep/state/inc2k13.pdf
Vicious Cycle: How Long Can SF's Renters Continue To Live Beyond Their Means?

i believe they could survive in the bay area but be far from living well.
i also think their child might miss out on a lot of things that lead to a well rounded and stimulating childhood.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM

First year is going to be a bit rough, but my salary increases a decent amount each year for two years. The other adult will be looking for work and should be able to find work.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by 0bsolete; 09-26-2013 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM

How are the areas of Concord and Hayward? I've been Googling both areas. How are the schools? How long is the commute via BART? Thanks.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bsolete View Post
How are the areas of Concord and Hayward? I've been Googling both areas. How are the schools? How long is the commute via BART? Thanks.
Concord has some very nice areas/neighborhoods however if schools are important, most are mediocre/fair (however, I tend to believe that if your child is capable and has parents focused on learning, then almost any school would be good). GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a good site for this info.

Any neighborhood on either side of Treat Blvd would be nicer than some of the areas near highway 242. Pleasant Hill would also be an option to look into. Both cities have good access via BART into San Francisco/Oakland.

I'm not that familiar with Hayward so no comment from me on this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland