Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,291,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
^ L-O-freaking-L !!!!!!

You're kidding, right?

San Francisco gives credence to the term "Nor Cal Scowl", referring to the pissy look on everyone's faces up there.

"I'm a San Franciscan...I'm rich, I have a "cause", I read more books than you do, I'm better than you!"

x 1000!

We get it already. You hate SF, and SF hates you. Time to move on already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
If you think SF is bad, have you ever visited LA?

SF is friendly by comparison.
sorry, I would totally have to disagree with you on that one. I love visiting the bay area, but I do find the people elitists for the most part. I have always found people in the L.A more down to earth and easy going. BTW, I have lived in both areas as well, so I am not judging simply as a tourist.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM

587 posts, read 1,412,986 times
Anybody who thinks all San Franciscans are snobby and stuck up hasn't ever left the West Coast. Yes, there are snobs in SF. And they range across many different demographics. People with too much money to know what to do with it tend to be snobby everywhere. Especially people who are rich enough not to work. Even the young trust fund-backed neo-Hippies in Golden Gate Park are snobs. I thought Hippies were supposed to be about love and acceptance, but they are just as cliquey and snobby as any East Coast Ivy league elitist.

A huge percentage of SF is a homeless population. These are the most humble and down-to-earth people you can find. SF is unlike many other cities because average folks are friendly to the homeless. In other cities like NYC and DC, the homeless are invisible. They are looked at as sub-human non-entities and symbolize ultimate failure in life. Many homeless people in SF aren't broke. Many of them make thousands of dollars a week selling bud to tourists, random people and the like. But being homeless is actually more of a lifestyle choice for many there since SF is so breathtakingly beautiful and the weather isn't nearly as harsh and unforgiving as say, Chicago, where hundreds of homeless people freeze to death every winter. Homeless people rely on each other in SF in GGP. The Tenderloin is a different story though. Full of despair, hopelessness, hardcore addiction and death.

SF natives, those who were born in raised in the city, vary in being snobby. Someone from a wealthy family who has lived there their whole life in SF may probably be a mega snob who lives there life like how it was written in the Stuff White People Like manual. However, SF natives, and Bay Area natives in general, raised middle class to lower class, who are endangered species in SF, tend to be very laid-back and much less racist than city natives from any other major metropolitan area of the country. SF natives who were raised to middle to working class in diverse areas have unusually diverse groups of friends and don't mind chatting up strangers.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-05-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM

483 posts, read 843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
...Chicago, where hundreds of homeless people freeze to death every winter.
Hundreds?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,555,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
We get it already. You hate SF, and SF hates you. Time to move on already
I don't "hate" SF, but lots of you SFans love to project your hatred onto LA all of the time.

Doesn't it ever get old? The whole "skeleton of a dead horse" and you standing over it with a baseball bat comes to mind.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,291,209 times
Like a moth to a flame, you always seems to find your way into threads like these to voice your opinion about how nasty/snobby/rude/whatever SF types are like. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm tired of hearing it.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,597,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
Anybody who thinks all San Franciscans are snobby and stuck up hasn't ever left the West Coast. Yes, there are snobs in SF. And they range across many different demographics. People with too much money to know what to do with it tend to be snobby everywhere. Especially people who are rich enough not to work. Even the young trust fund-backed neo-Hippies in Golden Gate Park are snobs. I thought Hippies were supposed to be about love and acceptance, but they are just as cliquey and snobby as any East Coast Ivy league elitist.

Did you happen to miss the part where I said "I moved to the Bay Area 4 months ago"? The only other place on the West Coast I lived was Seattle. And I only lived their for a year. I've spent majority of my life on the East Coast. Prior to moving to Seattle, the only "west USA" experience I got was 3 days in Vegas for a vacation.

The thing is, there are snobs in NYC, Atlanta, DC, and everywhere in between. The difference is that you'll probably RARELY run into them out East. Ivy league elitist aren't walking around doing everyday people stuff. Plus I don't think NYC get's a reputation of being snobby, because that's not the culture there. However, it seems like smugness, snobbery, etc is commonly associated with San Francisco.

But I'm going to just chalk it up as a bad initial experience. I plan to make a lot more trips to the City, so I'll come back and give my opinion after I've been there a good 5 solid times.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
In the magazine’s annual America’s Favorite Cities survey, 35 cities were ranked on measures such as fine dining, high-brow cultural activities, intelligence, coffee shops and high-end shopping, among other traits. To come up with the top 20 snobbiest cities, the magazine took into account the measures traditionally associated with snobbery — like aloofness.

And guess, what? San Francisco ranked high with visitors on the snooty categories like fine dining (#5, behind Charleston, New Orleans and New York, and tied with Chicago), tech-savviness (#2, damn you Seattle), and the kind of judgey eco-friendliness that makes those unused to curbside compost feel small (#4). Those markers of money, combined with low scores in affordability (second to last, ouch) and friendliness (a sad #21), help give the impression that San Franciscans are full of themselves.

Luckily, the city also ranked first for being gay-friendly — at least some people are getting a warm welcome when they visit the city by the Bay!

Other cities that are snobby, but not quite as snobby? New York, Boston and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:54 PM

39 posts, read 86,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
If you think SF is bad, have you ever visited LA?

SF is friendly by comparison.
completely inaccurate

Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,555,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Like a moth to a flame, you always seems to find your way into threads like these to voice your opinion about how nasty/snobby/rude/whatever SF types are like. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm tired of hearing it.
As someone who lives/lived in Oakland and uses it as an identity on this forum, you should know all-to-well the disdain SF has for people like you and the city of Oakland itself...Denial much?

Just watch the local news broadcasts from Van Ness Avenue or pick up a copy of The Chronicle from time to time.

The only thing you share with them, really, is your love for bashing all-things-L.A. / So Cal...which I suppose helps take the heat off of you Oaklanders occasionally and provides a brief bit of relief from the torment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland