Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Did you happen to miss the part where I said "I moved to the Bay Area 4 months ago"? The only other place on the West Coast I lived was Seattle. And I only lived their for a year. I've spent majority of my life on the East Coast. Prior to moving to Seattle, the only "west USA" experience I got was 3 days in Vegas for a vacation.

The thing is, there are snobs in NYC, Atlanta, DC, and everywhere in between. The difference is that you'll probably RARELY run into them out East. Ivy league elitist aren't walking around doing everyday people stuff. Plus I don't think NYC get's a reputation of being snobby, because that's not the culture there. However, it seems like smugness, snobbery, etc is commonly associated with San Francisco.

But I'm going to just chalk it up as a bad initial experience. I plan to make a lot more trips to the City, so I'll come back and give my opinion after I've been there a good 5 solid times.
Don't know if I would say "rarely" but the snob-factor is not very dominant in DC and the NYC (Can't speak for Atlanta). But, I agree with your assessment nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, I would totally have to disagree with you on that one. I love visiting the bay area, but I do find the people elitists for the most part. I have always found people in the L.A more down to earth and easy going. BTW, I have lived in both areas as well, so I am not judging simply as a tourist.
Have yet to visit SF, but I did pay the LA area a visit back in October. I found the people there to be very chill, fun, outgoing, and even a little on the quirky side. They were a pretty cool bunch in my book

Old 12-06-2013, 09:17 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Ummm... How does the OP know that ANY of the people he talked to (except the barista who must live here, and has no reason to be snobby since he's a barista) were even locals? Could have been tourists, especially this time of year, who may be as confused as he was, have language issues, or had internalized racism going on. Could be a million reasons for their behavior so making Amy conclusions is purely speculative. If you consider that Oakland and SF are ten minutes apart and locals don't live in isolation from each other, there shouldn't be that much difference between them. My guess is... tourists or transplants.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

493 posts, read 783,336 times
An ex Gf of mine who grew up in San Diego who moved to SF was just the most down to earth and friendly person and always enjoyed coming to my house in Castro Valley, getting to enjoy all the sunshine and hiking around Lake Chabot and how it was so much nicer than being over in the foghole.

But when she was around her friends at work she had an alternate personality of the typical stuck up and judgmental sf person. It ended up she did it to fit in, and while that is anecdotal i think it does apply to the bigger picture: at some point it became de rigeur, something that you do to fit in, like cheering for the local team in your new town.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
But when she was around her friends at work she had an alternate personality of the typical stuck up and judgmental sf person. It ended up she did it to fit in, and while that is anecdotal i think it does apply to the bigger picture: at some point it became de rigeur, something that you do to fit in, like cheering for the local team in your new town.
Interesting, since many folks who came to SF did so because they were outcasts in their original hometown. Are the outcasts also trying to fit in with outcasts? (Or is that what we call "hipsters"?)

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Interesting, since many folks who came to SF did so because they were outcasts in their original hometown. Are the outcasts also trying to fit in with outcasts? (Or is that what we call "hipsters"?)
To the contrary, most people who come to SF are not outcasts, but are instead already a bit snobbish. SF is too expensive, competitive, and precious for most true outcasts to survive here. (And I moved here from So Cal, so draw your own conclusions.)

Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 AM

260 posts, read 768,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You appear to be confusing SF with Seattle.
No competition. Seattle wins, hands down.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 AM

27 posts, read 63,040 times
Why would San Franciscans be snobby? How laughable. I've lived here for a while, and while people here can be smug..not sure I'd rank them as snobby. But to be fair, I've met lots of nice people in the city, and others who breathlessly promote this city like they're working for the chamber of commerce (smugness), but snobby? Most snobs just assume they're the best and don't really acknowledge anything else i.e. New York, or Paris, or London in the case of cities. NYC, Paris and London at least warrant snobbery for truly being the best cities in the world and in a league SF will never be in.

Not hot enough for Los Angeles? Not cool and chic enough for New York? Then move to San Francisco. That's the way it has been and will always be. And yes, SF draws outcasts and the dreaded 49ers (4s who think they're 9s)

Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
When people say sf is a mini manhattan, theyare not talking aesthetics. They are talking crappy attitudes.

I moved to california at age 13, and even I have to admit that all the try hards from back east ruined the place.

Tech bros are worse than wallstreet frat bros.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
People here are much friendlier than Houston, because nearly everyone here is a transplant. You have to make friends as a matter of necessity -- not just maintain relationships you've had since grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland