Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,320,695 times

Advertisements

S.F. tech companies' civic image at stake as backlash grows - SFGate

This is an interesting read- what do Bay area folks on this board think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 AM

23,563 posts, read 24,089,586 times
Some of the backlash is due to envy, but a growing technology industry drives and creates jobs in other industries that support the technology industry.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
From a previous post, but this addresses why some people are hating on tech guys.

If companies like Google, Facebook, Zynga, Wells Fargo etc are the enemy, well then without them we would probably be like Detroit. Sure rent would be cheap, but our city would suck and would most likely be forced to file for bankruptcy considering our massive spending habits and bleeding heart pet projects. These companies provide good wages, yet people complain their employees are the reason why rents are so high. These same people then condemn companies like Walmart because they don't pay their employees enough. Well, what do they want then! LOL

Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 PM

6,419 posts, read 8,285,865 times
Repost:
Quote:
This tech-apologist narrative is just as tired as the anti-tech one. The reality is that when people who are in a position of privilege fail to acknowledge their blessings and flaunt their wealth, others not only notice, they get very angry/resentful. If you're in tech making lots of money in SF, don't cry victim when your 'working class' neighbors express their outward hostility. Go live in a rich suburb with a gated community if you want to avoid interaction with people that think you're the enemy.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
This tech-apologist narrative is just as tired as the anti-tech one. The reality is that when people who are in a position of privilege fail to acknowledge their blessings and flaunt their wealth, others not only notice, they get very angry/resentful. If you're in tech making lots of money in SF, don't cry victim when your 'working class' neighbors express their outward hostility. Go live in a rich suburb with a gated community if you want to avoid interaction with people that think you're the enemy.
Tech guys are usually the less flaunty than most people in similar paying professions... Usually they dress like nerds who could pass off as making less than $35k.

According to you, if you work in tech and aren't willing to listen to your neighbors talk crap about you, then you should be forced to move to a gated suburb?

WOW...

This is the Bay Area... if you don't like tech, then you should move somewhere else. If you don't approve of homosexuality, don't live in the Bay Area. It's like saying, well if you don't want to be attacked for your sexual orientation than go move to a gated suburb. Crazy.

God help America lol

Old 12-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Go back and actually re-read my comment, word for word. Try sounding out the words if they are difficult. Eventually, if you try hard enough, I think you might be able to get it.

And while you're at it, try reading the actual article. It brings up a number of salient points.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Go back and actually re-read my comment, word for word. Try sounding out the words if they are difficult. Eventually, if you try hard enough, I think you might be able to get it.

And while you're at it, try reading the actual article. It brings up a number of salient points.
It's very plain and clear what you wrote...

Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Not to you apparently. Let me break it down for you:

Quote:
This tech-apologist narrative is just as tired as the anti-tech one.
- BOTH sides have valid points, but are EQUALLY annoying.

Quote:
The reality is that when people who are in a position of privilege fail to acknowledge their blessings and flaunt their wealth, others not only notice, they get very angry/resentful.
- I don't see what's difficult to understand about this. I never said ALL techies were obnoxious, but some are. READ THE SF GATE ARTICLE.

Quote:
If you're in tech making lots of money in SF, don't cry victim when your 'working class' neighbors express their outward hostility
I don't see what's difficult to understand about this either. If you move into a gentrifying neighborhood that used to be full of working class people, you get what you pay for, and sometimes resentful/angry neighbors comes bundled with your luxury new condo. Also, when you have no social skills and don't make any effort to get to know your neighbors and brush them off, their resentment might even grow more. AGAIN, you should REALLY read the SF Gate article, since it discusses this very same phenomenon. Even tech companies are acknowledging the problem and are trying to come up with ways to help their workers assimilate into their communities. This isn't some imagined problem that came out of nowhere.

Quote:
Go live in a rich suburb with a gated community if you want to avoid interaction with people that think you're the enemy.
If you feel threatened by your 'working class' neighbors (note: I'm putting working class in quotation marks to suggest that it's a somewhat arbitrary definition, given that a previous poster stated 250k salaries= working class) and you don't want to assimilate or get to know them any better (AGAIN, read the article), then maybe you should live in place where you won't encounter hostility. Like a suburb with a gated community.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 12-15-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Tech guys are usually the less flaunty than most people in similar paying professions... Usually they dress like nerds who could pass off as making less than $35k.
Because they spend all that money on electronics and $6 toast with coffee.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,168,079 times
I work for a tech company in eville. Yes most techies are totally obnoxious, closet republicans, from back east, with parents who live backeast.

I know, I have to deal with them.

But they are insular and keep to themselves.

And if sf has such a problem maybe they should not vote for people who give twitter tax breaks.

And lastly, if you don't own property, you don't have a right to live any where.

You are a peasant who pays a monthly homage to your land lord. If u don't like it, find a new lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland