Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,001,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nice strawman attempt, but that's not what jade is suggesting at all. Reading comprehension really isn't your strong suit is it?
Should businesses encourage their employees to go outside and have fun while they are at work?

They are there to work, how is that difficult to comprehend?!

How does Bank of America differ from say Twitter?

Bank of America offers employees a 30 minute lunch time, where they can bring a sack lunch or go out to eat or skip lunch. Google offers a longer lunch time with a free meal, but also allows employees to go outside or pack a lunch. Google also gives employees free time where they can do whatever they want. What you are complaining about? You must LOVE Walmart! Oh wait, no you would protest them treating their employees poorly. And, now you protest Google treating their employees too well. I'm so glad this attitude is the minority in our population. I hope more of these protesters get pushed out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM

881 posts, read 1,816,108 times
Quote:
But at the same time, I recognize that gentrification brings up a lot of resentment. Being insensitive and indifferent towards the community you've just moved in to gentrify is a risk. While it's certainly not fair, it's pretty insensitive to expect the people you're crowding out to welcome you with open arms- especially when you don't make much of an effort to assimilate. Does it go both ways? Absolutely. I never once said that it doesn't, nor that it shouldn't. But to deny people's right to be frustrated with change is only going to continue to make tensions worse. People are allowed how to feel however they want about gentrification. Saying people should just get over it and be happy isn't going to solve anything. It will probably make things even worse. BOTH sides needs to get along, and talking about the problem instead of brushing over it or denying it is the first step to makes things better. THAT is what I got out of the article anyway.
And who exactly is insensitive and indifferent towards the community? Have you polled everyone single newcomer to the community? Who exactly crowd you out? Is there a grand conspiracy by some secret techie society to crowd out the working class people of the bay area?

Techies are not a homogeneous group. It's a a job each chose for their own reason. It's presumptive to assign feelings and actions to a whole group of people. And based on what? Because a techie moved in next door? Perhaps one person that you THINK is a techie didn't say hi back at coffee shop?

I heard the argument before for people being having the "right" to be frustrated and angry about change, about being forced out and newcomers not assimilating. I heard is as a kid, as a new immigrant to Toronto. I guess I should've been okay with the kids who yelled racial slurs at me?

I don't deny them the deny the right to feel what they feel. But don't you dare say that I did anything to justify that feeling, now or before. It's their own ignorance that is the cause of their own anger and frustration.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,551,756 times
This whole thread really goes to show that the true totalitarian ideology in the U.S. is modern liberalism.

If you're white and a male, they've painted a target on you. If you're white, male and God forbid, successful, then you'd better watch out because there's a bounty on your head!

They want to control how Wal-Mart treats their employees. Then they want to monitor what tech company employees do on their leisure time or at work, even if they are treated with the utmost respect by the companies they work for.

You just can't win with the Left. They are miserable, mediocre people who wish to make everyone else as miserable and mediocre as they are.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,551,756 times
Quote:
Uh because SF USED to be different? It USED to be a city of close knit neighborhoods with working class families that knew their neighbors and now it's turning into a playground for the rich that don't care to associate with anyone else? It's great that you don't mind this is happening, but other people do. A lot of them might even be your neighbors...
What do you know about that Mr. North Carolina transplant?

San Francisco was a playground for the wealthy way back during California's Gold Rush! At least learn the history of the city if you plan on commenting about it, eh?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
What do you know about that Mr. North Carolina transplant?

San Francisco was a playground for the wealthy way back during California's Gold Rush! At least learn the history of the city if you plan on commenting about it, eh?

He doesn't even live in SF

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Should businesses encourage their employees to go outside and have fun while they are at work?

They are there to work, how is that difficult to comprehend?!

How does Bank of America differ from say Twitter?

Bank of America offers employees a 30 minute lunch time, where they can bring a sack lunch or go out to eat or skip lunch. Google offers a longer lunch time with a free meal, but also allows employees to go outside or pack a lunch. Google also gives employees free time where they can do whatever they want. What you are complaining about? You must LOVE Walmart! Oh wait, no you would protest them treating their employees poorly. And, now you protest Google treating their employees too well. I'm so glad this attitude is the minority in our population. I hope more of these protesters get pushed out of the city.
You are comparing apples to kale. Those bofa workers you speak of are hourly and not the same class of worker as your Google employee. And my point is completely lost on you.

Employees are very clear on the reasons they offer you gyms, dentists and meals. It is because people who have everything in the office work longer hours. And I ask, how employee friendly is that? With the Google bus, GOOG gets about 2-3 extra hours of "unpaid" work from their employees in exchange for convenience. And employees are letting work time encroach on personal time.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
This whole thread really goes to show that the true totalitarian ideology in the U.S. is modern liberalism.

If you're white and a male, they've painted a target on you. If you're white, male and God forbid, successful, then you'd better watch out because there's a bounty on your head!

They want to control how Wal-Mart treats their employees. Then they want to monitor what tech company employees do on their leisure time or at work, even if they are treated with the utmost respect by the companies they work for.

You just can't win with the Left. They are miserable, mediocre people who wish to make everyone else as miserable and mediocre as they are.
If you are white and male it is helpful to be cognizant that you are starting several laps ahead in the race of life, so you can be more sympathetic towards those people who spend a life time trying to make up for those laps.

Your idea that people criticism zing the status quo are "mediocre" is misguided. The proper question is how can we extend the path to success to everyone who wants it.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are comparing apples to kale. Those bofa workers you speak of are hourly and not the same class of worker as your Google employee. And my point is completely lost on you.

Employees are very clear on the reasons they offer you gyms, dentists and meals. It is because people who have everything in the office work longer hours. And I ask, how employee friendly is that? With the Google bus, GOOG gets about 2-3 extra hours of "unpaid" work from their employees in exchange for convenience. And employees are letting work time encroach on personal time.
1) There are more salary positions at BOA than hourly. You seem to think the only jobs at banks are tellers, which is completely false.

2) Gyms, Healthcare, Dentists, Meals, Bikes, Shuttles, Stock Options etc are all PERKS! It is one of the ways they attract talent. My friend at Google says he would never work for Apple because they don't have the same perks he gets working at Google. Businesses are all about competition, not just for customers, but employees too. There are people who say, I won't work at Facebook unless they provide transportation because I only want to live in San Francisco. The great thing about tech companies is that many believe "happy" employees are more productive, which is true. If your company takes good care of you, you will be much more loyal to them. It's simple business 101... even a freshman business student with no experience in the business world can understand why companies offer perks.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,714 times
Quote:
If you are white and male it is helpful to be cognizant that you are starting several laps ahead in the race of life, so you can be more sympathetic towards those people who spend a life time trying to make up for those laps.

Your idea that people criticism zing the status quo are "mediocre" is misguided. The proper question is how can we extend the path to success to everyone who wants it.

The proper answer is that someone's path to success is their problem, and not society's. You really can't come up with a great idea to help people succeed. most people can only really exhaust ideas to help themselves succeed. Guidance is a good thing to give someone though.

In either case, who cares about San Francisco? It's an ok city, but there isn't anything that you can get in San Fran that you can't in other parts of the Bay. For whatever reason, people seem intent on staying in a place that's just overrated. And who cares about what technology workers do? As far as I know they're not harming anyone. I've been working in the field of technology for 15 years. They're the most color blind, unpretentious, merit based people I've ever met. I've gotten a glimpse of how stuck up and narrow minded sales people could be for example. Not impressed. Artist are some of the cruelest and selfish people I've ever met in my life. They're cliquish and judgmental. Really all of the good ideas that is reshaping our corporate landscape is coming from the field of technology. People should learn to take note

Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 PM

881 posts, read 1,816,108 times
Quote:

No one forces them to use the in house gym , dentist (which btw, they don't actually have, and the dry cleaning and massages aren't free) or meals. No one force them to live with long commutes on the bus, nor does anyone force you to work on the bus commute. If one let work encroach on their personal time, that is their choice. You don't think people who work there know why those perks exist? Who are you to say what they should or should not do with their personal time?

Last edited by gnomatic; 12-18-2013 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland