Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Right. So just like bmw335xi, because it doesn't apply to you, it can't be true. Thanks for that insightful post.

... suddenly are filled with taciturn, snobby techies, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. ...
Since I work in tech now I can't have an opinion on prejudice and discrimination. Or it because I am Hispanic or my partner is gay or because he is black. Yeah, people that are discriminated against will be biased against discrimination, that is to be expected. That doesn't mean we cannot have an opinion on the matter. You may think prejudice is not a big deal, as long as it is other people, but I disagree.

I think it is prejudiced to just say they are "taciturn, snobby techies," without actually meeting them. You don't know these people, sounds like you don't like them for some reason, but snobby? Why are they snobby? You have evidence of such, or taciturn, sounds like a stereotype you seek to propagate. I would love to see evidence of this, but it sounds like you just have an agenda against these people, granted if you do have evidence of them being snobby or taciturn that would be another thing, but it sounds like you are talking about people in another city as if you know them, when you probably don't interact with them. Kind of heavy accusations, but I have yet to see more than stereotypes in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,295,361 times
Please go back and re-read all of my posts in this thread and point out a single instance where I specifically said it's OK to discriminate against ANYONE. I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure I never said those words.

Quote:
I think it is prejudiced to just say they are "taciturn, snobby techies," without actually meeting them. You don't know these people, sounds like you don't like them for some reason, but snobby? Why are they snobby? You have evidence of such, or taciturn, sounds like a stereotype you seek to propagate. I would love to see evidence of this, but it sounds like you just have an agenda against these people, granted if you do have evidence of them being snobby or taciturn that would be another thing, but it sounds like you are talking about people in another city as if
Go back and re-read the article, since that's how it's portraying these tech workers. If you want to deny that they're like this that's fine, take it up with the people who are complaining about it, not me.

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 12-17-2013 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM

881 posts, read 1,817,046 times
Quote:
But if I had been living in a working class neighborhood, used to interacting with my neighbors and socializing with them at coffeeshops and restaurants which suddenly are filled with taciturn, snobby techies, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. I'd be REALLY mad if I was forced to move because of these people.
So if you where living in a working class neighborhood...what exactly did "they" do to annoy you? Is it because they are patronizing the same establishment as you? Was the coffeeshops, restaurants a members only club open only to 'locals'? And how long does one have to live somewhere before you would consider them a "local". Is there a written rule? Is there some income, profession criteria? Or is the fact that they didn't initiate interaction first a sign of their snobbish/anti social behavior? If so, did you initiate interaction first? If not aren't YOU the snob by not initiating interaction first.

How did they forced you to move? Did "they" physically threaten you? Property prices is due to supply and demand. How is it "techies" fault that you can not afford to live where you want. Why should you get to live where YOU want base on what YOU can afford, but "they" are not allow the same? And would you be less mad if it's another high income (non tech) person can afford what you can't?

And for the record, this "techie" is a first generation working class immigrant. My parents worked their asses off in factories, work second jobs as dishwashers, driving cabs to make sure my brother and I got the education they didn't. They did it in the hope that the education would need to a more comfortable life then they had. My parents still live in the same formerly working class, now gentrified neighborhood I grew up in. They worked their asses off to buy the house, and my brother and I helped them pay it off. They aren't bitching about the "newcomers" that increased property prices. And their property taxes is based on current value, not purchase value, so it has increased substantially since they bought it 20 years ago. This is up in Toronto. No where is immune to change. Places changes, for better or worst depends on what side you are on. Expecting a place to exactly the same as 30, 20, even 10 years ago is strange.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
And for the record, this "techie" is a first generation working class immigrant. My parents worked their asses off in factories, work second jobs as dishwashers, driving cabs to make sure my brother and I got the education they didn't. They did it in the hope that the education would need to a more comfortable life then they had. My parents still live in the same formerly working class, now gentrified neighborhood I grew up in. They worked their asses off to buy the house, and my brother and I helped them pay it off. They aren't bitching about the "newcomers" that increased property prices. And their property taxes is based on current value, not purchase value, so it has increased substantially since they bought it 20 years ago. This is up in Toronto. No where is immune to change. Places changes, for better or worst depends on what side you are on. Expecting a place to exactly the same as 30, 20, even 10 years ago is strange.
That's great that you've worked hard to get an education and now you have marketable skills that have paid off. I've never once said that techies don't deserve nice things for working hard. I worked really hard too, putting myself through college and grad school with very little help from anyone, and while I don't make as much as a lot of tech workers, I do pretty well and I enjoy my current occupation. But at the same time, I recognize that gentrification brings up a lot of resentment. Being insensitive and indifferent towards the community you've just moved in to gentrify is a risk. While it's certainly not fair, it's pretty insensitive to expect the people you're crowding out to welcome you with open arms- especially when you don't make much of an effort to assimilate. Does it go both ways? Absolutely. I never once said that it doesn't, nor that it shouldn't. But to deny people's right to be frustrated with change is only going to continue to make tensions worse. People are allowed how to feel however they want about gentrification. Saying people should just get over it and be happy isn't going to solve anything. It will probably make things even worse. BOTH sides needs to get along, and talking about the problem instead of brushing over it or denying it is the first step to makes things better. THAT is what I got out of the article anyway.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,559,056 times
If San Franciscans want to turn their noses up at tech, I can tell you that we down here in Los Angeles would love to have tech guys and tech gals as our neighbors, working and living near us! We don't care if you live in the city or the 'burbs and we don't care if you're liberal, conservative or libertarian.

And, we have nice, sunny and warm beaches and lots of "eye candy"!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 PM

All the jocks/celebs would ridicule them though

Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,043,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
If San Franciscans want to turn their noses up at tech, I can tell you that we down here in Los Angeles would love to have tech guys and tech gals as our neighbors, working and living near us! We don't care if you live in the city or the 'burbs and we don't care if you're liberal, conservative or libertarian.

And, we have nice, sunny and warm beaches and lots of "eye candy"!
Most of the ruckus comes from across the bridge, mainly Oakland! Even on this forum lol. That's why I said the reality of living in SF is so different than on this forum.

I'll say it again and again, anyone that hates someone because they simply work in tech can GTFO. Move to Oakland where you can riot and blame everything on successful people, businesses and destroy their property while being applauded by the community.

People who work in tech studied their butts off in school instead of partying all the time. They deserve the income they receive and cool working environments. Mr. Joe who partied his way through college or dropped out of high school can move out.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
All the jocks/celebs would ridicule them though
No. Not at all. That's a myth.

People in LA just find their own niche and do their own thing. Nobody gets harped on for not trying to "fit in" or whatever. You do you're own thing and it's more of a true "live and let live" environment down here.

If you want to be a hipster and live in an old Victorian in Echo Park, go for it!
If you want to be a suburban yuppie and live in a tract home with a dog, cat and 2.5 kids in Simi Valley, by all means...
If you want to be "granola" and live on the beach in Venice, peace out dude!

No pressure here and nobody makes fun of anybody or harasses anybody for the scene they choose or how much money they make or don't make or what they do for a living. We have a good mix of Republican and Democrat viewpoints and we don't hate each other or bash success. That's what I love about it.

Last edited by kttam186290; 12-17-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

People who work in tech studied their butts off in school instead of partying all the time. They deserve the income they receive and cool working environments. Mr. Joe who partied his way through college or dropped out of high school can move out.
They sure did and you are right!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:48 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,557,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
No. Not at all. That's a myth.

People in LA just find their own niche and do their own thing. Nobody gets harped on for not trying to "fit in" or whatever. You do you're own thing and it's more of a true "live and let live" environment down here.

If you want to be a hipster and live in an old Victorian in Echo Park, go for it!
If you want to be a suburban yuppie and live in a tract home with a dog, cat and 2.5 kids in Simi Valley, by all means...
If you want to be "granola" and live on the beach in Venice, peace out dude!

No pressure here and nobody makes fun of anybody or harasses anybody for the scene they choose. That's what I love about it.
Doesn't Venice already have Snapchat, granted such a company wouldn't fill be with confidence they would stick around. But I think it might be part of a trend in the future if it does take off. Is Venice friendly to newcomers, Santa Monica, Marina Del Ray? Even if it meant higher rents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland