Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:31 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,329 times

Advertisements

It could be as little as an hour depending on when you travel but you're right it really wouldn't qualify as a "quick jump and hop". If you live out there though it's potentially a lot better than driving through the mess at the Caldecott and the toll booths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM

18 posts, read 95,523 times
Yeah, commuting to UCSF is not a quick jump and hop. But some UCSF campuses might be more tolerable, commute-wise. My sister, who sometimes stays with us, works in the main UCSF campus (she takes the N train) and it takes her an hour and 10-15 mins to get to work (door to door). If the hubby is working in the new UCSF campus near the SBC ballpark, I think the commute will be a little less (but not by much, i think)

If the East Bay commute is too much for the hubby, the Pennisula will be a viable option (Daly City, San Bruno, Colma, San Mateo, South San Fran). The only thing with these towns is the cost of homes. The only thing that you can touch with $500K are condos and maybe jacked-up townhomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
It could be as little as an hour depending on when you travel but you're right it really wouldn't qualify as a "quick jump and hop". If you live out there though it's potentially a lot better than driving through the mess at the Caldecott and the toll booths.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
Default Ditto

We currently live in the central valley in california. A two-three hour communite (each way). My husband just started working at ucsf cancer research center. we are also looking for areas to move closer as the commute is killing us in time, and not to mention gas. We have looked into livermore, dublin, pleasanton area. We are also a one income family and the prices are too high for us to afford. I think California is just over-rated and are looking into moving out of state due to commute times and cost of living. I would definately look into all options in California. If you want to save money you need to commute. If you want to live local, you must give up making good money. It all depends on the priority of your family. The SAn Joaquin valley is well known for it's high rate of allergy and asthma problems. so if health is a factor you will need to consider that. let me know what you find.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM

52 posts, read 215,401 times
If your husband is working at the main UCSF campus, you should definitely concentrate your search in the Upper Peninsula area, ie, Brisbane, Daly City, San Bruno, South SF and Pacifica. These towns are all relatively safe and quiet (some not-so-great neighborhoods, but nothing too bad). They are also more affordable than the rest of the Peninsula and SF (although I think you'll still have a hard time finding a single-family house in your price range - you may have to compromise and get a condo). I've done the BART to Muni commute from the East Bay to UCSF and it's long. Plus, you are so much closer to the City if you're in the Upper Peninsula.

Have you thought about renting for awhile once you get here instead of rushing to buy something?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Concord to UCSF Med would be an hour and a half in each direction - BART to the N-Judah line. That doesn't sound like a "quick jump and hop" to me.
Its not that bad-but hardly a hop, skip and a jump.

You can also take the 6 Parnassas Bus from BART. Either way its very convenient.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:33 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Oh,
UCSF also has vanpools for employees that go all over the Bay Area. My BF used to take it from our house in Oakland.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM

605 posts, read 866,125 times
Again, as said many times on these boards, Craigs List could help you out OP regarding Mill Valley.
It is so family oriented - from parks, to schools, all ages, really nice.
Why not try San Mateo.....

Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
I'm sort of partial to Alameda. It doesn't really have any truly bad areas. You can get a small older home in your price range there. No you're not going to be living in an exclusive area and the house will be old but Alameda has good schools, a couple of outstanding private shools, and it's generally pretty safe. It's got that small town feel with convenient shopping and all that. It's one of the few places in the Bay Area that you can get along without a car. The beaches are nice and never too crowded.
If you must have something newer or with more than two bedrooms, the prices will start jumping way up real fast. An older 4 bedroom for example will start in the $750K range. Even at that price, there won't be a lot of choices.

If you don't want to drive to SF, the ferry is a great way to get to the city. It's lot more pleasant than Busses or BART in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
I think we're putting of S.F. for awhile- maybe visit, but my husband isn't interested in the permanent move for the job anymore.
His opinion, he didn't spend so many years in medical school, and then getting a specialty, to move to SF and barely afford a house...I love SF but I can't blame his rationale..thanks for the advice anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland