Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think San Francisco is most like - culturally, lifestyle, and events wise?
New York City 12 15.38%
Boston 17 21.79%
Chicago 2 2.56%
Miami 0 0%
Philadelphia 2 2.56%
Pittsburgh 3 3.85%
Austin 4 5.13%
Portland 8 10.26%
Seattle 25 32.05%
New Orleans 4 5.13%
Washington DC 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times

Advertisements

I'd say Seattle in terms of cityscape. I see no comparison to Portland at all.

Unless something's radically changed since I last spent time in SF, there is PLENTY of diversity there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Vancouver, BC but with better weather.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
How is sf like nola? Nola has black people every where. In sf finding a black person is like where's waldo.
They both have kind of a live-and-let-live attitude. The also both have some seriously messed up housing projects that look pretty similar. But mostly SF is not like NO, which is why i said "a little bit".

And seeing black people in SF is not rare at all. Not that I expect you to represent SF truthfully. Because you never do.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times
Quote:
Seattle, with out question.

Boston has actual history and old money sophistication that is not found in new boom money sf.

Boston has black people and working class whites.

Sf appears to have neither.

Boston natives will punch you in the face, sf natives whine on facebook and instagram, and wear google glasses.

Sf is more like passive aggro seattle, with less rain.
SF does have about 50K black people living within the city limits. Thats more black people than the number that live in Compton. And ironically, SF can be more dangerous than Compton if you are black. Its just that you don't have the actual balls to visit the places where black people live in SF . Maybe you need to stop hanging out in the Castro so much and go to the hood. BUT, you need a hood pass to visit the places where most black people live in SF (i.e. projects in Hunter's Point, Sunnydale etc.). Sorry, you can't print out hood passes online. And punch you in the face? Black SF natives in HP will put a gun in your mouth .

Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,839 times
I'd go with Seattle or Austin. I did vote Seattle because it has the closest setting.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 PM

148 posts, read 175,911 times
Quote:
How is sf like nola? Nola has black people every where. In sf finding a black person is like where's waldo.
Ok this is an old subject and I'm bumping it, but this is a silly strange statement. There are Black people everywhere in SF; 7% of the city is Black, Oakland is almost 30% Black and is across. Sure less than maybe before, but still a presence. I may see dozens to hundreds in SF on a daily, depending on where I am of course. Downtown and Fillmore have large Black communities and even pockets of the Haight.

And relevantly, I think LA reminds me more of SF than Seattle, despite them seeming so different. SF and LA share palm trees, large Hispanic populations therefore lots of Mexican food that is acclaimed, as well as nested Mexican communities. Houses are kind of more similar, the California type lifestyle, Angelino Heights near Downtown was a Victorian like area of LA and reminded me of that Painted Ladies district of San Francisco. I know Seattle has that, and seeing as I didn't drive there, I didn't see as much but I know there's a Queen Anne which is similar to that I believe?

Old 11-28-2021, 11:03 PM

124 posts, read 110,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Culturally, life style, and events wise which city do you think San Francisco is most like?

Honestly , None. No city in the country can compare to everything SF offers. I'm talking about lifestyle, culture, weather, jobs, people, beauty, food, etc.

I am surprised more Movies / TV shows aren't set/filmed here.

Some people are saying Boston? I've only seen Boston in on TV, from what I've seen it has a real east coast , new England vibe to it. It snows there, people have a really different accent, and all the buildings look old like England style lol. SF is totally different.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 11-28-2021 at 11:17 PM..

Old 11-29-2021, 05:21 AM

130 posts, read 159,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTapedToCokeMachine View Post
Ok this is an old subject and I'm bumping it, but this is a silly strange statement. There are Black people everywhere in SF; 7% of the city is Black, Oakland is almost 30% Black and is across. Sure less than maybe before, but still a presence. I may see dozens to hundreds in SF on a daily, depending on where I am of course. Downtown and Fillmore have large Black communities and even pockets of the Haight.

And relevantly, I think LA reminds me more of SF than Seattle, despite them seeming so different. SF and LA share palm trees, large Hispanic populations therefore lots of Mexican food that is acclaimed, as well as nested Mexican communities. Houses are kind of more similar, the California type lifestyle, Angelino Heights near Downtown was a Victorian like area of LA and reminded me of that Painted Ladies district of San Francisco. I know Seattle has that, and seeing as I didn't drive there, I didn't see as much but I know there's a Queen Anne which is similar to that I believe?
My cousin lives in SF and she said if she ever had to leave her backup / most similar lifestyle to NorCal would be LA/SoCal. I mean both cities take health very seriously, both cities are very creative, overall California has changed alot since 2004 with push for california for all from the state capital. The people tend to be the same at this point very busy and care alot about their community with activist etc. The food is amazing in both SF and LA (especially the mexican food in both cities). The biggest difference between SF and LA is weather. SF has the smog with a nickname lol and LA has a bit more warmer weather usually. I would also reckon there is more LA people in Bay Area than any other city. While there is more Bay Area people in LA than from any other city. Biggest factors being UCs and Cal States with students wanting a different area but still be in California. I would say the beaches in and near LA are better but my 2nd pick would be SF beaches in and near it like Ocean Beach, Pacifica (with the fancy taco bell on the beach), and especially Santa Cruz that gives similar cool pier with rides like Santa Monica pier. I mean Elon Musk used to commute back and forth between Greater LA and the SF Bay Area for one since they both have amazing talent pools and the Californian Spirit.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:43 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
None of the above. SF is so iconic that no US city really can be said is similar to SF apart from anecdoctal things.
This, pretty much. In terms of a city built on hills--Seattle. But SF and its surroundings have so much more going on culturally than Seattle, IMO there's no comparison. (Sorry, Seattle.) SF has always been a more attractive city than Seattle or Portland, as well. I haven't been to Boston, so I can't compare it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer;
Vancouver, BC but with better weather.
. OK, here we may have a winner. But...Vancouver doesn't have cable cars!

Old 11-29-2021, 12:06 PM

382 posts, read 179,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
They both have kind of a live-and-let-live attitude. The also both have some seriously messed up housing projects that look pretty similar. But mostly SF is not like NO, which is why i said "a little bit".

And seeing black people in SF is not rare at all. Not that I expect you to represent SF truthfully. Because you never do.
I hardly ever see blacks in SF as well. Makes sense given the actual stats.

San Francisco Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of San Franciscowas:

White: 46.41%
Asian: 34.40%
Other race: 7.68%
Two or more races: 5.57%
Black or African American: 5.21%
Native American: 0.37%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.36%

New Orleans Demographics
According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of New Orleanswas:

Black or African American: 59.53%
White: 33.94%
Asian: 2.91%
Two or more races: 1.92%
Other race: 1.50%
Native American: 0.20%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.02%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland