Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
How is it that you support a no/limited growth movement in SF and also complain about the ever increasing costs of rent/ownership?
Where / when did I ever complain about increasing costs of rent / ownership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I worked in Union City while in college in Hayward and have to agree that it would not be my choice. I remember when the police chief was shot at a community meeting at a church there.
Don't scare the guy out of Union City with a shooting from 1974. The area of Union city west of 880 is a nice area with a convenient commute to the peninsula.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
For your price, you could get a large condo in Fremont, and there are some nice ones. The parts of Union City that border Fremont are fine, too.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
You don't seem to have a very specific preference list for "living arrangements."

I believe you should live in a place you like (especially these days) as no job is forever.

Just settling to buy something to buy something may not make you particularly happy if it isn't the sort of neighborhood/lifestyle you want.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 3,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You don't seem to have a very specific preference list for "living arrangements."

I believe you should live in a place you like (especially these days) as no job is forever.

Just settling to buy something to buy something may not make you particularly happy if it isn't the sort of neighborhood/lifestyle you want.
I can't justify renting in SF anymore. It doesn't make sense that my rent can cover a 30 year mortgage for a decent neighborhood in the East Bay. I am bitter that I am moving out San Francisco, but I will get over it. Like my screen name suggest, I am aiming to come back to SF/ The Peninsula, so I am seeing this as a short term investment that would allow me to come back. Anyone have any experiences with San Leandro ? I am looking at the Floresta Gardens neighborhood at the moment. In addition, do anyone know if building a in-law unit in these cities will be profitable ?

-Thank You

Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Will-Be-Back View Post
I can't justify renting in SF anymore. It doesn't make sense that my rent can cover a 30 year mortgage for a decent neighborhood in the East Bay. I am bitter that I am moving out San Francisco, but I will get over it. Like my screen name suggest, I am aiming to come back to SF/ The Peninsula, so I am seeing this as a short term investment that would allow me to come back. Anyone have any experiences with San Leandro ? I am looking at the Floresta Gardens neighborhood at the moment. In addition, do anyone know if building a in-law unit in these cities will be profitable ?

-Thank You
You need to look at the zoning laws in each city and each neighborhood to see if they allow in-law apts. Of course it would be profitable, especially if you can convert an existing space into an in-law (basement, garage, or spare bedroom).

Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Will-Be-Back View Post

-Thank You
LOL! My childhood home was 949 Portola Drive in San Leandro. In Floresta Gardens! Wow. Small world. My dad was a cop and ingrained our address into our little heads. I'll never forget that address.

That neighborhood way back when were all pretty small cookie cutter homes. Ours was a little 3 bedroom with 1 bath. My folks added on a family room that took up the back yard. The back yards were too small for a separate in-law unit, but if you find one that didn't have an add-on like ours, you could perhaps just add on to the house.

The house had a tiny front room, a tiny kitchen, a tiny bath and 2 front small bedrooms with a somewhat larger bedroom at the back.

The freeway noise was noticeable even way back then. And if you look at the City Data map of that neighborhood, you can see it's close to the freeway:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...eandro-CA.html

Just north of that neighborhood is commercial - used to be a Gemco way back when, if I remember correctly, then a K-mart, I think.

It was the first home my folks bought and my dad was able to get it with a GI Loan (veteran) on a cop's salary (Oakland cop). So, they're nothing fancy. And they were built early 50's.

I have no idea of what the neighborhood looks like now. But, it's just an older subdivision with small homes and yards, next to commercial/industrial area.

And I said in my previous post, to get to the marina and the Blue Dolphin restaurant (if it's still there) which was our fancy family place to go, you had to first drive through an industrial area, including a John Deer tractor yard, and that type of stuff.

So, San Leandro just really has no character. I think you can find something better. I can't imagine you happy in that little subdivision listening to the freeway.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM

Maybe you can try closer to downtown San Leandro so it is semi-walkable. Also, I live in Oakland, commute to San Mateo. I use the SM bridge. It adds about 2-4 miles.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM

There are some cute homes in the hills of San Leandro/San Lorenzo.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Just for giggles, I googled the Blue Dolphin restaurant to see if it's still there at the marina in San Leandro. Apparently it's empty, but there. Sounds ugly lol!

But, this looks exciting. There's a proposal to put in a nice development at the marina in San Leandro. That would be fantastic, in my opinion. I hate to see these areas with beautiful views of the water and SF, that are ugly half-used industrial type areas now.

Impact of San Leandro shoreline project to be reviewed - ContraCostaTimes.com

If you could get into one of these homes when/if they get built, I think it could be really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland