Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM

78 posts, read 164,442 times

Advertisements

Battling homophobia with racism. Brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I know we are not on that topic, but since you brought it up...How about politicians, clergy, and even newspapers in African countries telling Africans that homosexuality is a Western disorder?
The interesting thing about that attitude, in Africa and the Caribbean too, is that it is almost exclusively found in former British colonies. That's because many of them never got around to repealing colonial-era sodomy laws. Former French, Portuguese, etc. colonies either have no such laws, or have already repealed them, or just don't care.

So the same Africans who call homosexuality an evil Western import are also relying on their colonial-era religion to fight it -- quite often under the influence of American ultra-conservative evangelicals.

My point is that it's unfair to lump all Africans (and African-descended people) together when it comes to cultural homophobia.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOctagon View Post
Battling homophobia with racism. Brilliant.

Pointing out the black community's reputation for national and international homophobia is now "racist" ?

Alriiiiiiighty then.............

I guess I know who the new "Sacred Cows" are in America.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:29 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Kttam186290 - get off yor soap box. Let's not act like the rest of America (white/asian/hispanic) has embraced homosexuality but blacks hate gays. Please. Oh, and let's not act like the 7% BLack population in CA (who don't all vote) is the sole reason why Prop 8 didn't pass.

There used to be quite a few places in the N Oakland/ Downtown Oakland in the late 80's and 90's. I don't know the names, I just remember talk and seeing the clubs with mostly Black guys. Broadway/Telegraph area. Maybe someone in that scene will chime in.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM

108 posts, read 227,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Kttam186290 - get off yor soap box. Let's not act like the rest of America (white/asian/hispanic) has embraced homosexuality but blacks hate gays. Please. Oh, and let's not act like the 7% BLack population in CA (who don't all vote) is the sole reason why Prop 8 didn't pass.

There used to be quite a few places in the N Oakland/ Downtown Oakland in the late 80's and 90's. I don't know the names, I just remember talk and seeing the clubs with mostly Black guys. Broadway/Telegraph area. Maybe someone in that scene will chime in.
Thanks for the help baybook, I found a club called Bench and Bar on San Pablo and Telegraph and will keep looking for more. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I definitely appreciate it.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Thanks for the help baybook, I found a club called Bench and Bar on San Pablo and Telegraph and will keep looking for more. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I definitely appreciate it.
Yep, that's the one I hear about most often, but I don't know how long it's been around. 24 years is a very long time in the gay bar business...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Bench and Bar in Oakland is definitely a hangout for gay blacks these days. Go check it out if you're curious. Saturday nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland