Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
I am trying to understand why BART is so expensive? I compared it to Chicago Transit Authority and MARTA (Atlanta). MARTA covers 32 miles end to end on its longest line and has a monthly pass a little above 50 USD.
MARTA only charges a flat rate of $1.75 per trip, (less if you buy the monthly cards). It's not a zone fare type of system.

The difference:

MARTA has a very inefficient police department. You RARELY see uniformed officers on the actual trains (unless they're in groups socializing). They don't check the trains when at the end of the line either, so bums will get on the train for $1.75 and ride/sleep on it all day long for that price. This is why in the last few years it's reached the point where if you ride certain lines or at certain times of the day you'll have someone sit next to you within minutes asking for money.

Other systems that charge more don't have this problem, or at least not nearly as bad. They put police on the cars, and check cars for vagrants/roudy teens, etc. It's nice that our MARTA system is very affordable, but you pay for that affordability in other ways.

Note though, that they replaced the token fare system with the "breeze cards" recently, which you charge up with fares and tap on the circular thing as you enter or exit the station - they are setting this system up so that one day they CAN switch to a zone fare based system like BART and other transit agencies use. Getting rid of the cheap $1.75 fare will help clean it up, but they'll still be able to offer discounted fares to the elderly to poor who need it but who will have to apply for it (bums and teens who play on the system all day won't bother) . It should be also be noted that MARTA receives no state funding at all - I think the only transit agency in the U.S. that doesn't. They have operated on a shortfall for years with only a few exceptions as a result of their "affordability".

So while I can't speak for the Chicago system, I'll just say that sure, Atlanta is cheaper to ride, but not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM

140 posts, read 429,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yes, but by that point, to get from downtown San Jose to downtown San Francisco is pushing $240 a month not including parking. That's more than a lease on a Honda Civic.
That's why you get a three-zone monthly pass on Caltrain for 152.50, take the free transfer to VTA light rail at Mountain View and ride to San Jose. Total cost:192.50/month-- no parking, no paying high gas prices, no car insurance, no car payment, no car maintainence!

Wow, I could save a lot of money by living there! See ya soon!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times
I get so angry when they blame slow ridership on the huge fares. I ride BART all the time and I'm stuck standing because all the seats are taken more than half the time. Not that you'd want to sit on those disgusting seats anyway!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
I say Paris Metro is better, stretching out the Disneyland and Versailles. And as far as prices, it's much cheaper than London! Bart is similar in price, which isn't so bad. It's crazy in London.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:43 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
OAKLAND / BART to replace dirty cushions this year

I read recently that relief is on the way? A lot of the seats are indeed pretty gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
Not that you'd want to sit on those disgusting seats anyway!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 PM

277 posts, read 884,050 times
Talking Does anyone regret living in a SF suburb since Bart cost so much?

I moved to Alamo Square and the buses are great, but what they call a studio is a box w/ an awful paint job and paint falling off the windows.

I am thinking about moving to Oakland, but I wonder will it cost me a lot of money to commute back to SF everyday. If the commute cost that much, then I might as well live in SF and pay more for rent.

Not to mention the buses here spoil me!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:19 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post
I moved to Alamo Square and the buses are great, but what they call a studio is a box w/ an awful paint job and paint falling off the windows.

I am thinking about moving to Oakland, but I wonder will it cost me a lot of money to commute back to SF everyday. If the commute cost that much, then I might as well live in SF and pay more for rent.

Not to mention the buses here spoil me!
don't use BART, but AC Transit to travel to the city. costs me 116$/31 days unlimited use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland