Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Why is Levi's such as disaster? Honest question, I'm in LA so I'm not familiar with the situation. Other than the fact that the stadium is 45+ minutes from the City, what else is so bad?
Slapped-together eyesore built entirely for the purpose of optimizing usage by TV networks and high end suite holders. Meanwhile the plebes bake in the sun or freeze in the shadows / wind in way overpriced seats. There is also a curse. There were several preventable deaths during construction. Maybe some mob money. To get the stadium sited there was a dirty election campaign and highly corrupted city officials in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I love how all these experts pop out of the wood work who haven't even been to a game at the actual stadium. Just like the other experts who think they know Venice beach by looking at youtube videos.

So many experts. So impressed!
I went to a pre-season game when I visited.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
If losing the Raiders means losing their fans as well, that would be the best thing that could happen to the Bay Area.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Slapped-together eyesore built entirely for the purpose of optimizing usage by TV networks and high end suite holders. Meanwhile the plebes bake in the sun or freeze in the shadows / wind in way overpriced seats. There is also a curse. There were several preventable deaths during construction. Maybe some mob money. To get the stadium sited there was a dirty election campaign and highly corrupted city officials in the mix.
Someone who actually knows why Levi's Stadium is a complete failure.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Someone who actually knows why Levi's Stadium is a complete failure.
Levi's has been a failure for 49ers fans (although, I'm sure the owners and the league are happy with the deal they got!) - but this has nothing to do with the viability of the Bay Area as a NFL market (which I think you're trying to argue). Please see the decades of success both teams have enjoyed in the region for evidence.

The Yorks are terrible owners. No 49er fan I know was happy with the move (and as such have stopped going, or trying to go, to games), and I don't know anyone that speaks highly of the Yorks (or their decisions).

The team should have stayed in SF. They should have just worked it out (although, I think the Yorks just wanted out no matter what...so I don't think there was anything SF could have realistically done).

I'm not a 49ers fan, so it really isn't a big deal to me personally - but as an admirer of storied franchises, it was unfortunate to watch unfold.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Levi's has been a failure for 49ers fans (although, I'm sure the owners and the league are happy with the deal they got!) - but this has nothing to do with the viability of the Bay Area as a NFL market (which I think you're trying to argue). Please see the decades of success both teams have enjoyed in the region for evidence.

The Yorks are terrible owners. No 49er fan I know was happy with the move (and as such have stopped going, or trying to go, to games), and I don't know anyone that speaks highly of the Yorks (or their decisions).

The team should have stayed in SF. They should have just worked it out (although, I think the Yorks just wanted out no matter what...so I don't think there was anything SF could have realistically done).

I'm not a 49ers fan, so it really isn't a big deal to me personally - but as an admirer of storied franchises, it was unfortunate to watch unfold.
My understanding was that because the 49ers were already practicing in Santa Clara, it would make sense to have the stadium right next door.

It's a beautiful stadium that mainly caters to the wealthy but that is the case for almost all the new stadiums. They make most of their money off the luxury suites. They faced them east so their clientele wouldn't have to face the sun. You get what you pay for. The NFL is a business after all.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM

711 posts, read 689,113 times
Quote:

It seems that Levi's has also been a failure for the people of Santa Clara based on the variety of news clips I've seen. From the traffic to the finances to the 49er's wish to control activities outside the stadium it doesn't seem like much is working well at all.

I do believe a publicly financed stadium is very unlikely to get support here. Particularly after people have seen the bill that Al Davis has stuck Alameda county with and the continuing failures of Levi's.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My understanding was that because the 49ers were already practicing in Santa Clara, it would make sense to have the stadium right next door.

It's a beautiful stadium that mainly caters to the wealthy but that is the case for almost all the new stadiums. They make most of their money off the luxury suites. They faced them east so their clientele wouldn't have to face the sun. You get what you pay for. The NFL is a business after all.
Yeah - and who moved the 49ers down to the South Bay in the first place? The Yorks.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah - and who moved the 49ers down to the South Bay in the first place? The Yorks.
It is a private business. Like it or not, they can do whatever they want. What I don't agree with is any public funding. Santa Clara definitely got the short end of the stick with the financing but maybe the extra exposure during the Super Bowl was worth it. I've read conflicting studies on it, some say a Super Bowl is worth it, others say it isn't.

Los Angeles was very smart, they let the owners and league pay for everything. They knew the league couldn't go without a team in the #2 market.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It is a private business. Like it or not, they can do whatever they want. What I don't agree with is any public funding. Santa Clara definitely got the short end of the stick with the financing but maybe the extra exposure during the Super Bowl was worth it. I've read conflicting studies on it, some say a Super Bowl is worth it, others say it isn't.

Los Angeles was very smart, they let the owners and league pay for everything. They knew the league couldn't go without a team in the #2 market.
Sure - they're welcome to do what they want. But they should also recognize that their fanbase isn't happy with their moves. They don't have to...I mean, they could run the team into the ground (a la the movie "Major League") since they're a private business and can do with it what they please. But they shouldn't. Moving the team to Levi's was a mistake for the organization (as far as its fanbase goes), and I think many people are starting to realize that.

On the public funding side of things, I think the consensus is that Santa Clara got a raw deal. I'm sure the Yorks (and the league) are happy with the deal, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland