Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Sad day in Berkeley.

The thing that's shocking to me is how new that building is.

I can see this sort of thing happening with older wood frame with the typical dry rotted balconies / decks.

No wood here.

I had (somewhat naively) thought we were getting really good with construction around here given our tectonically rich environment. Reality - boom times. Corners get cut. Look at the Bay Bridge.

In any case: It is sad, but also, it is probably a crime or series of crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Corners get cut.
Welcome the world of new home construction, corporate style.
McMansion, anybody?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Sad day in Berkeley.

The thing that's shocking to me is how new that building is.

I can see this sort of thing happening with older wood frame with the typical dry rotted balconies / decks.

No wood here.

I had (somewhat naively) thought we were getting really good with construction around here given our tectonically rich environment. Reality - boom times. Corners get cut. Look at the Bay Bridge.

In any case: It is sad, but also, it is probably a crime or series of crimes.
Here's a link to the story and pictures:

Balcony collapse kills six, most of them Irish students, in California | Reuters [reuters.com]

This is a wood frame structure, you can see the broken supports in the pictures.

In California, residential buildings 5 stories or shorter will almost always be wood because it's cheaper than steel. It's also easier to get permits for these "stubbies" over a much taller true steel-and-concrete high rise [due to local zoning, neighbors]. I think there may be some exceptions for wood going up to 6 stories with the right foundation and perhaps some commercial occupancy.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Well 10 plus crazy partying irish college students will do that for a balcony only designed for two people. Got to be some video of them partying on that balcony wonder if they were jumping up and down at all.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:18 PM

79 posts, read 127,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well 10 plus crazy partying irish college students will do that for a balcony only designed for two people. Got to be some video of them partying on that balcony wonder if they were jumping up and down at all.
Yeah, it's like they deserved it.

What a ridiculous statement to make. A balcony should not collapse under the weight of the amount of people that it can fit. I'm not an engineer and I'm not qualified to say what happened, but I will speculate that it was shoddy workmanship or someone trying to save money/cut corners that caused this.
Nice work California.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacio View Post
Yeah, it's like they deserved it.

What a ridiculous statement to make. A balcony should not collapse under the weight of the amount of people that it can fit. I'm not an engineer and I'm not qualified to say what happened, but I will speculate that it was shoddy workmanship or someone trying to save money/cut corners that caused this.
Nice work California.
Officials have said it was holding 13 people and engineers have been postulating with that many people even if built to code it would have collapsed. Especially if they were jumping or dancing.

No way in heck that balcony was designed to hold 13 partying college students.

They didn't deserve what they got but they got what was imminent.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default What a horrible tragedy, my heart breaks for the families. :(

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2260785

The balcony may have been "meant" to be more of a decoration, but it was a party with young people who didn't know better, and there were doors that led out to the "decoration".

Sure, maybe the students were having fun and getting rowdy, but for all we know there may have been designated drivers in the group or calls for Uber so no one would drive drunk. The possibility of a collapsing balcony was most likely not on anyone's mind as something to be careful about.

Just so horrible and sad.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:14 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Officials have said it was holding 13 people and engineers have been postulating with that many people even if built to code it would have collapsed. Especially if they were jumping or dancing.

No way in heck that balcony was designed to hold 13 partying college students.

They didn't deserve what they got but they got what was imminent.
This. Sadly.

We complain about the high cost of rents here, but imagine the cost if we had to build every single outdoor balcony to the code of holding up to the weight of as many adults as you could squeeze onto it.

This was likely a "decorative" balcony, which means it's likely capped at 3-4 people - the total number of people who could be on the balcony comfortably along with furniture. 13 people on that balcony had to have been like sardines. That just seems like common sense, but many 21 y/o kids don't really have common sense yet, especially drunk ones.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Yes, there were 13 people partying on a 4x6 balcony. Not surprising that it didn't hold up under their combined weight and jumping around. Dumb to blame the contractor for this.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2260785

The balcony may have been "meant" to be more of a decoration, but it was a party with young people who didn't know better, and there were doors that led out to the "decoration".

Sure, maybe the students were having fun and getting rowdy, but for all we know there may have been designated drivers in the group or calls for Uber so no one would drive drunk. The possibility of a collapsing balcony was most likely not on anyone's mind as something to be careful about.

Just so horrible and sad.
A building constructed in 2006 with a "decorative" balcony? I thought they stopped making rubbish like that back during the 1950s or worst case, 1960s. Really need to look into the developer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland