Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy living in San Francisco?
Yes, of course.... 18 36.73%
Meh, it's alright.... 10 20.41%
No, not at all.... 21 42.86%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphicDN View Post

"People in Chinatown" pretty much ALL want to be right where they are. San Francisco's Chinatown is at least one of two, if not THE destination of choice for many generations of Chinese coming to America. This is no secret. You can't understand why perhaps because your culture is different.
That's definitely not true. SF Chinatown hasn't received large numbers of immigrants in many decades. It probably hasn't been a leading Chinese point-of-entry in a half-century. I would say the San Gabriel Valley (LA) Brooklyn/Queens (NYC) and maybe Cupertino and the like (SV) are the biggest Chinese immigrant centers.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
lol yeah that's not true. My GF and most of her friends also moved from Hong Kong, Taiwan or China and they all think Chinatown is a craphole. It's sort of racist thinking saying all Chinese immigrants want to live in Chinatown LOL.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 PM

335 posts, read 329,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's definitely not true. SF Chinatown hasn't received large numbers of immigrants in many decades. It probably hasn't been a leading Chinese point-of-entry in a half-century. I would say the San Gabriel Valley (LA) Brooklyn/Queens (NYC) and maybe Cupertino and the like (SV) are the biggest Chinese immigrant centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol yeah that's not true. My GF and most of her friends also moved from Hong Kong, Taiwan or China and they all think Chinatown is a craphole. It's sort of racist thinking saying all Chinese immigrants want to live in Chinatown LOL.
Yes. What I was referring to was the past that created Chinatown as it persists now. Which is an aging population.

No, I never said said all Chinese immigrants (particularly young Chinese today) want to live in SF's Chinatown. I said those who are there desire to be there. This was in response to the claim of andyadhi01 that the current residents are somehow "trapped" there with no options.

SF's Chinatown WAS, the target destination for decades. It is its own little world by intention. Not a slum by accident of fate.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm from Texas and moved here without a job, so I'm not "held prisoner" by any means--work or rent-control related. I chose SF because I love it. I even spent 8 months in the East Bay when I first moved here (also loved it, only differently) to try to figure out how to make a move to the City work.

You all should know that the poster above who says the "American Dream" is in Texas is a disgruntled Former Texan. He moved to the foggiest part of SF and claims to hate fog. Then, he moved to a foggier place farther south. He has been trotting this same tired story out for over four years. Why leave Texas? Why live in foggy places? Why berate people who like it here?

Texas is like a cult. It's not a very pleasant place to be, but the people there are generally very good, and they bond together with solid values, which unifies their thinking. It does have a distinct identity and an attitude of independence that is attractive to many. Thus, Texas fosters a strange level of militant pride and people from there bond with one another by shunning other places.

When I left, there were people I hadn't talked to in years who said, "get back to Texas, where you belong." It's as if they resented anyone leaving. Why? Because it invalidates the delusion that Texans and Texas are somehow better than anyone else--especially Californians.

The people most vocal in this are the ones who wrap so much of their identity in that cult, that their only connection with it is to bash California--especially the one metro area that disproves the "Texas Miracle" on virtually every front. There are a vocal few who frequent this sub forum. One such vocal Texan detractor has never lived any closer to San Francisco than Palo Alto, yet will go on and on about how miserable daily life has become since visiting for a month 35 years ago at age 15.

So take that Texas nonsense for what it is. If they were so resourceful, and Texas were so far and away better, why would they sit here in California and grouse for four-plus years? Why constantly berate people who merely say they are happy?

Andy once told me how many square feet my apartment was, how substandard it was, and how I was an alcoholic, because I mentioned having a glass of wine in the evening in a post. This person has never met me or seen my apartment. At some point, that kind of obsessive behavior has to be chalked up to a mental disorder.

All that said, yes, I do love it here. I acknowledge the many flaws and I still love SF for all that it is. Some people aren't cut out for city life. They complain from distant suburbs that SF is too dirty, too crowded, or whatever. Some complain that it isn't enough of a city. They complain from Pennsylvania and Illinois that it's small and will "never be New York" I always enjoy that little projection of their own insecurities.

The fact is, I don't see anyone in Russian Hill, where I live, complaining. What about SF compels people to so vigorously try to convince people not to like it? I'm not talking about people with gripes about living here--there are some solid ones. I'm talking about commuters from Palo Alto, East Bay and Daly City or the Philly contingent, or the Texas gun and Jesus coalition.

It's odd, but at least it's amusing to watch them work.
I guess moving to SF gives you some bragging rights to friends and family back in TX but trust me you will outgrow this soon. People usually tend to become less shallow as they age! (although SF has a good number of 40 year old hipsters to disprove it)

Sorry to pop your bubble but everything you can get in SF is available in every major city in America.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
"People in Chinatown" pretty much ALL want to be right where they are. San Francisco's Chinatown is at least one of two, if not THE destination of choice for many generations of Chinese coming to America. This is no secret. You can't understand why perhaps because your culture is different.
And how do you know this? It's like saying poor people live in slums because it's a destination of choice for them! You are making broad assumptions about immigrants and I doubt the Chinese homeowners in Cupertino are dying to make a move to Chinatown. I doubt any major city in China is as backward and undeveloped like Chinatown anymore.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Yes. What I was referring to was the past that created Chinatown as it persists now. Which is an aging population.

No, I never said said all Chinese immigrants (particularly young Chinese today) want to live in SF's Chinatown. I said those who are there desire to be there. This was in response to the claim of andyadhi01 that the current residents are somehow "trapped" there with no options.

SF's Chinatown WAS, the target destination for decades. It is its own little world by intention. Not a slum by accident of fate.
Oh ok, I understand what you mean now. I haven't been paying close attention to this thread, so I didn't know your post was out of context.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
All that said, yes, I do love it here. I acknowledge the many flaws and I still love SF for all that it is. Some people aren't cut out for city life. They complain from distant suburbs that SF is too dirty, too crowded, or whatever. Some complain that it isn't enough of a city. They complain from Pennsylvania and Illinois that it's small and will "never be New York" I always enjoy that little projection of their own insecurities.
There aren't many long term residents because it doesn't really satisfy a person who wants a city life nor a quiet life. You say some people aren't cut out for city life, but in reality San Francisco doesn't give a complete city life experience. When I first moved here I thought it did, but you will realize over the years that it's quite small and really doesn't offer much city life. What can you do at midnight besides go to a bar? San Francisco doesn't offer anything close to cities like Seoul, Tokyo, London, Rome, NYC etc, yet it has all their problems x3. It is dirtier, more crime, and more poverty. So people who are craving city life can find themselves bored in San Francisco and people craving peace will get annoyed by all the cars and neighbors. On top of that, the cost of living is similar to major world cities, so that is why I believe you see a constant flow of people coming into SF and then leaving eventually.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 AM

732 posts, read 968,830 times
A lot of the people who come & go are priced out.

I have noticed a lot of the people who like SF can't afford to live here, and people who moved here for the current tech bubble are mixed--some like it here, some hate it and constantly complain. It would be wonderful if individuals who hate it here would be considerate to others & themselves by leaving so positive people who want to be here could take their places while the miserable go where they'll be happy (or just go away).

Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I guess moving to SF gives you some bragging rights to friends and family back in TX but trust me you will outgrow this soon. People usually tend to become less shallow as they age! (although SF has a good number of 40 year old hipsters to disprove it)

Sorry to pop your bubble but everything you can get in SF is available in every major city in America.
You're now reduced to setting up your own comeback attempts at insults? Really?

Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There aren't many long term residents because it doesn't really satisfy a person who wants a city life nor a quiet life. You say some people aren't cut out for city life, but in reality San Francisco doesn't give a complete city life experience. When I first moved here I thought it did, but you will realize over the years that it's quite small and really doesn't offer much city life. What can you do at midnight besides go to a bar? San Francisco doesn't offer anything close to cities like Seoul, Tokyo, London, Rome, NYC etc, yet it has all their problems x3. It is dirtier, more crime, and more poverty. So people who are craving city life can find themselves bored in San Francisco and people craving peace will get annoyed by all the cars and neighbors. On top of that, the cost of living is similar to major world cities, so that is why I believe you see a constant flow of people coming into SF and then leaving eventually.
Yes, I've read this...from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland