Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
"Hipsters" will be as quaint a term in 20 years as "yuppie" is today. Maybe in 20 years the 'it' crowd will be "HSters" (because they all use HSR to commute from their organic farmlets in the Central Valley), or "tuppies" (because they all use that new-fangled teleporter to get around, leaving the poor and unwashed stuck on Muni...

Speaking of which, in 20 years Muni will be ... pretty much exactly the same as it is now. With no new infrastructure on the drawing board, other than finishing the Central Subway to Chinatown, it's pretty much guaranteed that nothing else new will be in existence by then. Which is sad, because we need to extend the Central Subway to North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf, and then maybe turn to the Marina... and we need a 2nd line through SoMa (to deal with both the congestion on the Market underground, and the increasing population density in SoMa)... and a subway out Geary, maybe turning south around 25th to Daly City & BART. All are eminently needed *now*, let alone 20 years from now... but unless someone starts the planning process today (then interminable public meetings, then initial plans, then EIR, the EIR appeals, then revised plans, then a revised EIR... etc!), none of it will be present 20 years from now.
It's kind of amazing that after the central subway, I haven't seen anything for future MUNI plans. At least a concept, or a "we'd love to have this" kind of thing. Too bad. As you rightly point out, if they're not even planning something now, we can be certain it won't be built in 20 years, since concept to built system/extension can take multiple decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:03 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
"Hipsters" will be as quaint a term in 20 years as "yuppie" is today. Maybe in 20 years the 'it' crowd will be "HSters" (because they all use HSR to commute from their organic farmlets in the Central Valley), or "tuppies" (because they all use that new-fangled teleporter to get around, leaving the poor and unwashed stuck on Muni...

Speaking of which, in 20 years Muni will be ... pretty much exactly the same as it is now. With no new infrastructure on the drawing board, other than finishing the Central Subway to Chinatown, it's pretty much guaranteed that nothing else new will be in existence by then. Which is sad, because we need to extend the Central Subway to North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf, and then maybe turn to the Marina... and we need a 2nd line through SoMa (to deal with both the congestion on the Market underground, and the increasing population density in SoMa)... and a subway out Geary, maybe turning south around 25th to Daly City & BART. All are eminently needed *now*, let alone 20 years from now... but unless someone starts the planning process today (then interminable public meetings, then initial plans, then EIR, the EIR appeals, then revised plans, then a revised EIR... etc!), none of it will be present 20 years from now.
I just visited the Powell Station at 10pm and it was empty.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:47 AM

372 posts, read 513,867 times
I feel the transit priorities are: electrify Caltrain, extend Caltrain to the Transbay Terminal, extend Caltrain over the Dumbarton to Fremont, extend BART to San Jose/Diridon, connect BART to Transbay (or at least create a pedestrian tunnel), and have timed transfers of Caltrain/BART at Transbay, Millbrae, Fremont, and Diridon. Then you could get nearly anywhere around the Bay by train in a decent amount of time (except Marin).

Old 08-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I just visited the Powell Station at 10pm and it was empty.
Go there at 8-10 AM, or 3-7 on a weekday. Or on a weekend day. It most certainly won't be empty. BART and MUNI.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
I feel the transit priorities are: electrify Caltrain, extend Caltrain to the Transbay Terminal, extend Caltrain over the Dumbarton to Fremont, extend BART to San Jose/Diridon, connect BART to Transbay (or at least create a pedestrian tunnel), and have timed transfers of Caltrain/BART at Transbay, Millbrae, Fremont, and Diridon. Then you could get nearly anywhere around the Bay by train in a decent amount of time (except Marin).
I agree with this.

I might add a second transbay tube somewhere in there, but it's probably REALLY far off (decades away). Most of this stuff are things that should happen in 5-20 years.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:10 PM

411 posts, read 719,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
For the next 5 years, yes. But we also badly need a second BART tunnel from East Bay to SF. That ideally would also come within 5 years, but realistically, is more of a 20+ year project

Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
For the next 5 years, yes. But we also badly need a second BART tunnel from East Bay to SF. That ideally would also come within 5 years, but realistically, is more of a 20+ year project
I don't think the 2nd tunnel is necessary. It's more important to extend the central subway and Geary subway. The 2nd tube would go Alameda Island is mostly low density residential.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I don't think the 2nd tunnel is necessary. It's more important to extend the central subway and Geary subway. The 2nd tube would go Alameda Island is mostly low density residential.
It would go beyond Alameda connecting to the rest of the East Bay and relieve overcrowding on the current tube. Plus many plans for a 2nd tube also include extending BART down Geary Blvd. The Central Subway is a joke in comparison.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM

East Palo Alto Rebounds as Crime Plummets, Economy Thrives

Forum - The Unz Review

Old 10-04-2015, 07:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Then again, maybe not. As the last semi-affordable part of the East Bay, Antioch-Brentwood-Discovery Bay will pull in quite a few decent people from other parts of the East Bay. I'm talking about people crammed into a Walnut Creek or Pleasanton townhome who want more space and don't mind the drive.

The Section 8 plague that infested Antioch isn't a permanent thing, either. Home owners can opt to end the program at any point in time and, believe it or not, they will. Especially when housing demands go up!

At that point, the ghetto element will have no choice but to up and move. Stockton, Sacramento, Reno...anywhere they are building new homes, they will go!
Section 8 generally cannot opt out... what you can do as a Landlord is choose not to accept Section 8 when a unit becomes vacant.

At one time I managed a number of low income rentals with a good percentage in Oakland.

When Section 8 became portable after one year of residency... many on the program choose to move and the top 3 destinations were Antioch, Hayward and Vallejo....

I still manage many of the same rentals and have one last legacy Section 8 tenant in Oakland... all the former Section 8 rentals are mostly occupied by those that left San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland