Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:15 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times

Advertisements

If high density is allowed, the main areas I could see accomodating it are those with vast parkings lots such as Emeryville, Downtown Fremont, Foster City, and parts of Daly City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
San Jose will have two million people in twenty years. It will have a lot more high rise condo buildings than it does now. Especially in South San Jose or other areas where they don't deal with the height restriction around the airport.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 AM

San Jose is already becoming very dense. It has a higher population than San Francisco. One million people live there currently.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
San Jose will have two million people in twenty years. It will have a lot more high rise condo buildings than it does now. Especially in South San Jose or other areas where they don't deal with the height restriction around the airport.
That sounds way too fast, I think it will take 90 years for San Jose's population to reach 2 million, most easily developable land has already been built on, most development will be taking less dense uses like used car lots warehouses, surface parking lots, or 1 story shopping areas and replacing it with denser uses. I think in the next 20 years most high rise condo construction will still be in downtown area.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to the area of South San Jose that is mostly warehousing and flight industrial near the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Are you referring to the area of South San Jose that is mostly warehousing and flight industrial near the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds?
No, that's north of what I'm talking about. I'm talking about like near Santa Teresa Light Rail Station and Cottle Light Rail Station. Like where Martin Murphy Junior High is, and Kaiser, and IBM (the IBM facility where the hard drive was invented). We need high rises there.

The area you're talking about, to my knowledge, is still subject to the height restriction related to the airport. Eh, I could be wrong, though, of course.

But even 190 foot tall condo buildings in South San Jose would be along the lines of what I'm suggesting.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 AM

I looked up that area on Google maps. Mostly single family homes.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
No, that's north of what I'm talking about. I'm talking about like near Santa Teresa Light Rail Station and Cottle Light Rail Station. Like where Martin Murphy Junior High is, and Kaiser, and IBM (the IBM facility where the hard drive was invented). We need high rises there.

The area you're talking about, to my knowledge, is still subject to the height restriction related to the airport. Eh, I could be wrong, though, of course.

But even 190 foot tall condo buildings in South San Jose would be along the lines of what I'm suggesting.
Most of that land is being taken over by 5 story apartments and some shorter buildings. I doubt it will get high rises. It seems impractical to talk about high-rises outside of downtown. But there is probably demand in some neighborhoods to the west.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Most of that land is being taken over by 5 story apartments and some shorter buildings. I doubt it will get high rises. It seems impractical to talk about high-rises outside of downtown. But there is probably demand in some neighborhoods to the west.
I think the only opurtunity is if the tech campuses build highrises on their parking lots. Most of them are out of the path of the Airport.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Most of that land is being taken over by 5 story apartments and some shorter buildings. I doubt it will get high rises. It seems impractical to talk about high-rises outside of downtown.
Well, there is a light rail station right there in that area (Santa Teresa Light Rail and also Cottle Light Rail). So it is more practical to build dense housing structures near existing mass transit.

Also at one point they were going to build a huge development in Coyote Valley, which is why the natural gas plant is there (it was the first phase). They could put a high-rise right there instead, maybe a couple. Need to remove that natural gas plant though. Fossil fuel based power is obsolete and it pollutes the atmosphere with stuff that accelerates global climate change and is toxic to humans.

Plus there's a huge empty field next to Santa Teresa Light Rail, great place for a high-rise.

Quote:
But there is probably demand in some neighborhoods to the west.
You mean like where the Winchester light rail line goes? Yeah, that would be a good place to build high rises too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland