Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 PM

12 posts, read 16,905 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Petaluma and we are thinking of moving closer to the city for proximity and good schools , possibly Larkspur. Am I right that Larkspur might be a bit less monocultural and relaxed than some parts of southern marin? Is it a good place for kids? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin74ca View Post
I have a job offer in Petaluma and we are thinking of moving closer to the city for proximity and good schools , possibly Larkspur. Am I right that Larkspur might be a bit less monocultural and relaxed than some parts of southern marin? Is it a good place for kids? Thanks!
I'm not aware of any part of Marin that would be considered monocultural. Do you live in the area now?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:50 PM

I don't, just comparing demographics to where I live now and talking to people who live there.... hard to get the whole story that way.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:45 AM

Take demographic information with a grain of salt. Yes, Marin and the north bay are probably, statistically, predominantly white. But the people are very liberal, very progressive. Marin especially is a highly affluent and educated group, and the whole idea of inter-racial couples and alternative lifestyles are pretty much yesterdays news. Nobody cares. I posed the question to my husband, because he works in sales in southern Marin. His response was that people are going to be more concerned with how much money you make than the color of your skin or the origin of your accent.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:32 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,859,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
His response was that people are going to be more concerned with how much money you make than the color of your skin or the origin of your accent.
That's what I was going to say. As long as you can afford the $1.4M median home price in Larkspur, you will be accepted. That, and make sure the supercharged Range Rover you drop the kids off at preschool in isn't more than three years old.

For diversity, there's always Marin City.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 PM

Hmmm... well, I guess if people are going to care that I am driving a 2001 Toyota Corolla then I might not want to live there either!

Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,859,367 times
Well the big question is, can you afford it? You stated you lived in an upper middle-class neighborhood now. If that also describes your household income, you probably can't afford it. You need around a 99th percentile income minimum to be comfortable in Marin (at least $400k annual household income). I wouldn't want to have to make it on less.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin74ca View Post
Hmmm... well, I guess if people are going to care that I am driving a 2001 Toyota Corolla then I might not want to live there either!
In southern Marin? You will stand out like a sore thumb. Personally, if I could afford to live anywhere in Marin, I'd choose San Rafael. It's the only city left that still has the old Marin blue collar vibe. The rest of it has been taken over by the Range Rover crowd.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 PM

339 posts, read 515,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
In southern Marin? You will stand out like a sore thumb. Personally, if I could afford to live anywhere in Marin, I'd choose San Rafael. It's the only city left that still has the old Marin blue collar vibe. The rest of it has been taken over by the Range Rover crowd.
Not true. I still see lots of Subarus, VWs and Priuses in Mill Valley and Tiburon. You won't see ****ty, beat up cars but there are still lots of people who prefer Marin's traditional "wealthy, but not flashy" feel.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Well the big question is, can you afford it? You stated you lived in an upper middle-class neighborhood now. If that also describes your household income, you probably can't afford it. You need around a 99th percentile income minimum to be comfortable in Marin (at least $400k annual household income). I wouldn't want to have to make it on less.
This may be true in southern Marin, but is not true in northern Marin. There are lots of "upper middle class" people in San Rafael, and even more in Novato. Larkspur values will be between the two. If you are working in Petaluma, there are lots of places with good schools that are closer to the city. Get yourself a good realtor. Remember that the closer you get to the city, the higher the real estate costs. If you want to just go into the city now and then, it may be worth it to live further north.

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 10-02-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland