Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,819,470 times

Advertisements

https://www.couchsurfing.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:38 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,289,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriatraveler View Post
I see! What are your thoughts in this?
http://m.yelp.com/biz/cw-hotel-san-francisco

Wow! That's good.

How are the people like? I'm assuming if you meet a cool photographer or perhaps at a public venue you could get some housing or sponsorship and make easy friends? Even at work at a restaurant waiting tables jobs. Thoughts?

If you're super outgoing and a big risk taker, your opportunities could be great- assuming you're lucky. The problem now is that SF has gotten a lot snobbier and people seem to be much more impressed with wealth than genuine weirdness. The service industry in SF is pretty cutthroat these days and for good reason- the tops restaurants servers make really great money. If you're good looking, charming, and can make friends easily, you might fare well. I'd suggest bringing at least 10k- you'll blow through it super quickly, but your chances for survival are much, much better than 2-3k. That might buy you 2-3 months, tops. Have you actually been out to visit? I'd strongly suggest checking it out firsthand.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:59 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,345,411 times
One of the big problems is that even room shares in San Francisco are requiring a resume and an in person interview to make sure that you are sufficiently cool by the standards of 4 or 5 strangers. If that's what you want to do, go for it but keep enough money for a plane ticket back home. Regarding the hotel you linked, CW Hotel - 18 Photos - Hotels - SoMa - San Francisco, CA - Reviews - Yelp It's bad..really bad; bed bugs, shared restrooms (it's all in the reviews). San Francisco is a tough place. There are better options, Santa Fe New Mexico, & someone mentioned Tempe Arizona. You asked "what is Sac" I think that was a reference to Sacramento, it's 2 hours from San Francisco much, much cheaper and has a pretty nice urban center (midtown) You might try it for a while, not sure what kind of 'creative job' you will find, but you probably could get a job waiting tables. At least your money would last longer, and you could drive to San Francisco on the weekends and decide if that's where you really want to be. Another possibility is Oakland, but prices there are going up really fast, but you might still find a room share for under $800, also- it's close to Berkeley and if there is still a bastion of "free thinkers" that would be it. I did a craigslist search for rooms/apts. under $900 in three parts of Oakland that are decent places to live (there might be other areas but I'm not sure about them) SF bay area housing, apartments, real estate, etc - craigslist

Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7848...8i6656!6m1!1e1

"from $80" a night, shared bathroom in this bedbug hotel in SF.......

Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM

16 posts, read 11,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I have lived in SF for 10+ years and I have never heard or experienced that.

This quote sums up SF for me: "We moved here from Austin for work and can't wait to leave less than 10 months later. Aside from the obvious, traffic, high cost of living, lousy child-care and schools, what really drives us crazy are the miserable people. I can't get used to the fact that strangers will not make eye contact or even acknowledge one-another's presence, using even the most civil of informal greetings. I've lived in big cities, e.g. Chicago, but I've never experienced the complete disregard for civility and humanity that I encounter on an hourly basis here. The "me-first" and "me-only" attitude that is evident from getting cut off and glared at while commuting to the rudeness of clerks and waiters really is taking a toll on us. I'm tired of getting jostled on the train, rammed in the grocery store, or even bumped into at the playground without an acknowledgment that I even exist. Meeting people has never been an issue for me or my wife until we moved here. The denizens of this area are the most insular, close-minded people ever. Forget about small talk, you will only get glares or people literally running away from you."

And:"I recently had lunch with a friend I made here (who is from the east coast of course -did not know that when we befriended each other) and I said well yeah, people here kinda suck. She said, I know, it took me 10yrs to really make true friends here. I smile at people and they look at me like Im nuts."

FYI: Sac=Sacramento- an affordable & nice city 90 miles from San Francisco

Bart = Bart Area Rapid Transit system - our heavy rail subway/commuter train

Even the storage units are expensive here. Plan on paying $115+/month for a small closet!

https://www.publicstorage.com/califo...lng=-122.41782

Wow.
I'm all about self determination but sorry to hear that they treated those couple like that.

Thanks for the input.

Wouldn't San Francisco consist of more "less-judgemental people" who have crazy ideas, lifestyle and goals in life? This is what Steve Jobs and Scott Dinsmore spoke about. That their ideas were hindered in their state that they lived in but upon moving to San Francsico. They found an environment conductive to their business and ideas. Even Mark Zuckerburg moved to San Francsico.

What did they mean by that conductiveness? These are college kids who had dreams and they three of them achieved it in SF.

I find it amusing that people living here don't like it. Thank you by the way for explaining the acronyms and such.

Can you give me thoughts on the thoughtfulness of this video? Google "Ted talk Scott Dinsmore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Here is an interesting website. The slow loading interactive map on the bottom of the webpage ranks SF 89th for photographers. The bigger light colored circles are the low ranked cities and the small darker circles are the higher ranked cities.

https://www.thumbtack.com/blog/10-be...photographers/
That's interesting! I'll check out this website. Thank you for sharing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
GG Park is Golden Gate Park. Think of it as San Francisco's version of New York's Central Park. See link to map below.
Something else I would like to mention, is that the western neighborhoods in SF have a lot of overcast days. So, if you are somebody who likes a lot of sunshine, you might not like that area. Normally the best weather in the western part of SF is mid Sept until about mid Nov. Summers are often day after day of rather cool, overcast weather, in the western neighborhoods.
San Francisco Map | Map of San Francisco City, California
Thanks! Weather sounds cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
Take a vacation here for a brief while and check it out before you make any hard decisions. Talk to folks here, maybe even go for some job interviews and looks at housing options. If you still feel like giving it a go, make it happen.
that would be cool! At this moment I can only afford moving and relocating and working. Or staying here and working. I'm either uprooted or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
Probably one of the better options. Do a recon of the City and truly try and get a feel for things before committing.
Cool! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Kyriatraveler,
If you really want to pull this off, would you be willing to do couch surfing? Google it. Many travelers use this to stay where they go. You could do this for a couple of weeks while looking for a job.
Another option is Phoenix, AZ. I know a few people who works as photographers there. The Tempe, AZ area is nice and happening. It's a progressive city. Cost of living is a fraction of what it is in the bay area.
I wish I could move back. A job brought me to this area. I'm stuck here for now.
Totally! I'll try that.

I'll check out those two cities. I'm definitely up for a new location. But I see myself at least being surrounded by judgemental people. I've had bad experiences on small towns who protect their business like their baby and will badmouthing the new city guys. This even happens for college graduates who's surrounded by coworkers who aren't educated. Out of envy will they be toppled down.

Better to surround myself with people who are better than me and receive mentorship in SF than to stand out in a smaller cheaper cities and not learn anything new.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If you're super outgoing and a big risk taker, your opportunities could be great- assuming you're lucky. The problem now is that SF has gotten a lot snobbier and people seem to be much more impressed with wealth than genuine weirdness. The service industry in SF is pretty cutthroat these days and for good reason- the tops restaurants servers make really great money. If you're good looking, charming, and can make friends easily, you might fare well. I'd suggest bringing at least 10k- you'll blow through it super quickly, but your chances for survival are much, much better than 2-3k. That might buy you 2-3 months, tops. Have you actually been out to visit? I'd strongly suggest checking it out firsthand.
That's true.

I've visited before a long long ago as a kid. I'm sure it's way different before than it is now.

What are the people and relationships like? Friday night bars? Girlfriends you meet at a public library or event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
One of the big problems is that even room shares in San Francisco are requiring a resume and an in person interview to make sure that you are sufficiently cool by the standards of 4 or 5 strangers. If that's what you want to do, go for it but keep enough money for a plane ticket back home. Regarding the hotel you linked, CW Hotel - 18 Photos - Hotels - SoMa - San Francisco, CA - Reviews - Yelp It's bad..really bad; bed bugs, shared restrooms (it's all in the reviews). San Francisco is a tough place. There are better options, Santa Fe New Mexico, & someone mentioned Tempe Arizona. You asked "what is Sac" I think that was a reference to Sacramento, it's 2 hours from San Francisco much, much cheaper and has a pretty nice urban center (midtown) You might try it for a while, not sure what kind of 'creative job' you will find, but you probably could get a job waiting tables. At least your money would last longer, and you could drive to San Francisco on the weekends and decide if that's where you really want to be. Another possibility is Oakland, but prices there are going up really fast, but you might still find a room share for under $800, also- it's close to Berkeley and if there is still a bastion of "free thinkers" that would be it. I did a craigslist search for rooms/apts. under $900 in three parts of Oakland that are decent places to live (there might be other areas but I'm not sure about them) SF bay area housing, apartments, real estate, etc - craigslist
I'm fine with the interview. How does one get a room for a room share without having a room! I guess a hotel.

I don't see myself getting stuck into homelessness in San Francisco. I'm sure There are people to help or even jobs to obtain that would even this out.

I am at a situation in my life where I can actually afford to move. I can either die here in the east side regretting that I never took the chance to SF sort to to speak or die trying in San Francisco with a goal and drive in mind.

Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7848...8i6656!6m1!1e1

"from $80" a night, shared bathroom in this bedbug hotel in SF.......
Not cool! Isnt therre affordable bed bug repellents available? It won't be the end of the world I don't think.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,603,381 times
It sounds like you have your mind made up. Life is short. Do it! Chase your dreams. If moving to the SF Bay Area doesn't work out, could you move back?
You got a lot of good advice here and suggestions. You might be off to a rocky start but who knows? Maybe it will work out for you here. Maybe it won't. You won't know unless you try.
Keep us posted on your journey!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,640,842 times
LOL guys, this is master troll material

Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 PM

901 posts, read 1,169,422 times
Yeah, it's pretty clear that it's dumb for the OP to move to SF because dreams bear little relation to reality, but it's also relatively low-risk. It might in the end be good to have one's illusions unmasked for good.

There are tons of great people here in the Bay Area. And in NY. And in LA. And everywhere. But the economy and market have created circumstances that make it inhospitable for anyone who isn't super career-driven (professional, not service) or already wealthy, to have a quality life here.

It's simple. It's not a place for dreaming anymore, or for being a non-professional, sadly. It hasn't been for a very long time.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 PM

kyriatraveler; SF is a bit dirty at the street level and their is a fair amount of very visible homeless in SF. It is not just the high cost of housing that contributes to the homeless problem in SF ... the moderate climate and SF reputation as being tolerant toward the homeless is an attraction to those already homeless to migrate to SF.
You can safely assume, if you do move to SF, you will not be the only one to come here under the same circumstances as you. You will be competing with those same individuals to make a successful go of it here.
If you do come to SF, just make sure you have a exit plan & the money set aside to fund the exit if it does not work out

Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 AM

427 posts, read 500,775 times
Go back to school there at the Art Institute and take out a loan. I would also look into moving to a boring, cheaper part of the Bay where housing is cheaper and easier to find. It is extremely competitive to find housing in SF, and you will find yourself staying at hostels and SROs for weeks until you find something. By that time you will be too broke to afford the security deposit.

I visited the Bay to see if it was a good place for me to move to and I decided I did not like it. I would not take this risk unless you are certain this is where you want to live. Being from Ohio you are going to find the people remarkably different from yourself and hard to fit in. I know I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland