Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 PM

16 posts, read 11,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriatraveler View Post
Wow.
I'm all about self determination but sorry to hear that they treated those couple like that.

Thanks for the input.

Wouldn't San Francisco consist of more "less-judgemental people" who have crazy ideas, lifestyle and goals in life? This is what Steve Jobs and Scott Dinsmore spoke about. That their ideas were hindered in their state that they lived in but upon moving to San Francsico. They found an environment conductive to their business and ideas. Even Mark Zuckerburg moved to San Francsico.

What did they mean by that conductiveness? These are college kids who had dreams and they three of them achieved it in SF.

I find it amusing that people living here don't like it. Thank you by the way for explaining the acronyms and such.

Can you give me thoughts on the thoughtfulness of this video? Google "Ted talk Scott Dinsmore"

That's interesting! I'll check out this website. Thank you for sharing it.

Thanks! Weather sounds cool.

that would be cool! At this moment I can only afford moving and relocating and working. Or staying here and working. I'm either uprooted or not.

Cool! Thanks.

Totally! I'll try that.

I'll check out those two cities. I'm definitely up for a new location. But I see myself at least being surrounded by judgemental people. I've had bad experiences on small towns who protect their business like their baby and will badmouthing the new city guys. This even happens for college graduates who's surrounded by coworkers who aren't educated. Out of envy will they be toppled down.

Better to surround myself with people who are better than me and receive mentorship in SF than to stand out in a smaller cheaper cities and not learn anything new.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

That's true.

I've visited before a long long ago as a kid. I'm sure it's way different before than it is now.

What are the people and relationships like? Friday night bars? Girlfriends you meet at a public library or event?

I'm fine with the interview. How does one get a room for a room share without having a room! I guess a hotel.

I don't see myself getting stuck into homelessness in San Francisco. I'm sure There are people to help or even jobs to obtain that would even this out.

I am at a situation in my life where I can actually afford to move. I can either die here in the east side regretting that I never took the chance to SF sort to to speak or die trying in San Francisco with a goal and drive in mind.

Not cool! Isnt therre affordable bed bug repellents available? It won't be the end of the world I don't think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
It sounds like you have your mind made up. Life is short. Do it! Chase your dreams. If moving to the SF Bay Area doesn't work out, could you move back?
You got a lot of good advice here and suggestions. You might be off to a rocky start but who knows? Maybe it will work out for you here. Maybe it won't. You won't know unless you try.
Keep us posted on your journey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
LOL guys, this is master troll material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty clear that it's dumb for the OP to move to SF because dreams bear little relation to reality, but it's also relatively low-risk. It might in the end be good to have one's illusions unmasked for good.

There are tons of great people here in the Bay Area. And in NY. And in LA. And everywhere. But the economy and market have created circumstances that make it inhospitable for anyone who isn't super career-driven (professional, not service) or already wealthy, to have a quality life here.

It's simple. It's not a place for dreaming anymore, or for being a non-professional, sadly. It hasn't been for a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
kyriatraveler; SF is a bit dirty at the street level and their is a fair amount of very visible homeless in SF. It is not just the high cost of housing that contributes to the homeless problem in SF ... the moderate climate and SF reputation as being tolerant toward the homeless is an attraction to those already homeless to migrate to SF.
You can safely assume, if you do move to SF, you will not be the only one to come here under the same circumstances as you. You will be competing with those same individuals to make a successful go of it here.
If you do come to SF, just make sure you have a exit plan & the money set aside to fund the exit if it does not work out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
Go back to school there at the Art Institute and take out a loan. I would also look into moving to a boring, cheaper part of the Bay where housing is cheaper and easier to find. It is extremely competitive to find housing in SF, and you will find yourself staying at hostels and SROs for weeks until you find something. By that time you will be too broke to afford the security deposit.

I visited the Bay to see if it was a good place for me to move to and I decided I did not like it. I would not take this risk unless you are certain this is where you want to live. Being from Ohio you are going to find the people remarkably different from yourself and hard to fit in. I know I did.
Cool! There has to be some sort of strategy to get into school for a price and also be able to work and have a living situation.

I looked at one of the art institute and the tuition is over $22,000. I may have to take one class at a time or something but the benefits incur after taking over 2 classes to differ student loans.

If that's the case then more strategy need to be implied. In other words, with several grand on hand minus the travel in cost would probably leave me with a couple of grand and that would probably be burned out by the housing security deposit for the apartment or something else.

Need better and smoother landing ideas.

Just checked air plane tickets and it's costing only $55 (no joke) If I fly in the next few weeks from here in the east.

If I don't move now I won't be able to move at a future to SF or anywhere and I'll die and rot here in Ohio lol.

So far the most valuable information and strategy I've received here in this forum is the encouraging posts of that kid after high school being able to work and have been able to pay the bills and possibly entering school in order I meet friends and get roommates.

The question I have is what university is actually affordable that I can enter in. Or should I just take a community college class or even a class at a uni for continuing studies ($2400) but can be paid Over a few months and work two or three jobs to pay for it and the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
The question I have is what university is actually affordable that I can enter in. Or should I just take a community college class or even a class at a uni for continuing studies ($2400) but can be paid Over a few months and work two or three jobs to pay for it and the apartment.
You will need to be a full time resident in California for a year in order to get resident tuition. Out of state tuition is considerably higher but you can google it, there are plenty of sites where you can find out both in and out of state tuition.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:57 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
[quote=kyriatraveler;42024374]Cool! There has to be some sort of strategy to get into school for a price and also be able to work and have a living situation.

I looked at one of the art institute and the tuition is over $22,000. I may have to take one class at a time or something but the benefits incur after taking over 2 classes to differ student loans.

If that's the case then more strategy need to be implied. In other words, with several grand on hand minus the travel in cost would probably leave me with a couple of grand and that would probably be burned out by the housing security deposit for the apartment or something else.

Just checked air plane tickets and it's costing only $55 (no joke) If I fly in the next few weeks from here in the east.

If I don't move now I won't be able to move at a future to SF or anywhere and I'll die and rot here in Ohio lol.

So far the most valuable information and strategy I've received here in this forum is the encouraging posts of that kid after high school being able to work and have been able to pay the bills and possibly entering school in order I meet friends and get roommates.

The question I have is what university is actually affordable that I can enter in. Or should I just take a community college class or even a class at a uni for continuing studies ($2400) but can be paid Over a few months and work two or three jobs to pay for it and the apartment.[/quo

If you are still seriously considering coming out to SF, then if I were you, at this time I would be thinking about employment and a stable hosing situation....in which in your case will almost certainly mean roommates...maybe even sharing the same room with someone.

Academy of Art University | San Francisco Art School

Old 11-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You will need to be a full time resident in California for a year in order to get resident tuition. Out of state tuition is considerably higher but you can google it, there are plenty of sites where you can find out both in and out of state tuition.
Yeah though of that myself. Would Ohio or somewhere in the east be better schooling for photography? Like New York?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Quote:
Cool! There has to be some sort of strategy to get into school for a price and also be able to work and have a living situation.

If you are still seriously considering coming out to SF, then if I were you, at this time I would be thinking about employment and a stable hosing situation....in which in your case will almost certainly mean roommates...maybe even sharing the same room with someone.

Academy of Art University | San Francisco Art School
Sounds like a good idea.

Like I said the way I see it. Buy a plane ticket, arrive in SF. Stay at a hostel or hotel while finding a job and house. Then find the house and apartment. Then switch jobs if necessary. Then find the art school?

Old 11-22-2015, 01:28 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I have never lived there, just visited. I think this is an awful idea. Do not move anywhere unless you have a friend you can couch surf with til you find a job....or already have a job lined up.
Find new roommates where you are.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post

There are tons of great people here in the Bay Area. And in NY. And in LA. And everywhere. But the economy and market have created circumstances that make it inhospitable for anyone who isn't super career-driven (professional, not service) or already wealthy, to have a quality life here.
This is true and it seems as if a lot of people are in denial about this.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Yeah though of that myself. Would Ohio or somewhere in the east be better schooling for photography? Like New York? Sounds like a good idea. Like I said the way I see it. Buy a plane ticket, arrive in SF. Stay at a hostel or hotel while finding a job and house. Then find the house and apartment. Then switch jobs if necessary. Then find the art school?
I'm starting to wonder if this is a joke..I can't imagine anyone considering moving to San Francisco to attend the academy of fine arts so that they can learn to be a photographer. You are either a photographer or you aren't. If you have a talent for it, you can pick up the requisite technical information from reading books. And there is no career field for a 'photographer' unless you are thinking about taking class photos of kids in grade school. Photography is very much a free lance job and only a very small number of photographers earn enough to support themselves. If you think you are a photographer start taking photos of local events and submit them to your local paper, see if anyone else thinks they are great..Or start a blog of your work and gauge the response of people who look at it. Unless you are just stinking rich, moving to SF to become a photographer sounds like an epic fail

Old 11-22-2015, 01:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Yeah though of that myself. Would Ohio or somewhere in the east be better schooling for photography? Like New York?

Sounds like a good idea.

Like I said the way I see it. Buy a plane ticket, arrive in SF. Stay at a hostel or hotel while finding a job and house. Then find the house and apartment. Then switch jobs if necessary. Then find the art school?
If only it were that easy.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have never lived there, just visited. I think this is an awful idea. Do not move anywhere unless you have a friend you can couch surf with til you find a job....or already have a job lined up.
Find new roommates where you are.
Sweet! Couch surfing really works? The website that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
This is true and it seems as if a lot of people are in denial about this.
I wouldn't say I'm in denial but wouldn't I want to be conditioned to have the same outlook and mentality of success people? I believe that you become who you are surrounde with. I think being around great people will at least increase and give you a different standard than being sick in a small town like here in Ohio where standards can be lower than the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this is a joke..I can't imagine anyone considering moving to San Francisco to attend the academy of fine arts so that they can learn to be a photographer. You are either a photographer or you aren't. If you have a talent for it, you can pick up the requisite technical information from reading books. And there is no career field for a 'photographer' unless you are thinking about taking class photos of kids in grade school. Photography is very much a free lance job and only a very small number of photographers earn enough to support themselves. If you think you are a photographer start taking photos of local events and submit them to your local paper, see if anyone else thinks they are great..Or start a blog of your work and gauge the response of people who look at it. Unless you are just stinking rich, moving to SF to become a photographer sounds like an epic fail
Consider it this way. You can either find and be around poor clients who pay you nothing to minimal in Ohio or be around tourist locations in San Francisco. I'm going to school to establish my brand and identity to learn and take better photographs at the same time be around like minded networks for individuals. Moving to San Francisco without connections is hard to find at public places. But at universities it's easier to find people and connections and hopefully clients. I'm sorry that you feel this is an epic fail but the academy of fine arts was suggested to me by someone. My original intent is just to move out there and start anew since things aren't working out here.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
If only it were that easy.
What are the best outcomes of doing this? Worse scenario and best case. I'm sure this is not an impossible task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland