Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I agree there was a good bit of blaming everyone else. She must be very young in maturity, if not in years.

AND, she failed completely to realize this incident is going to be on the web forever.... which company is going to want to hire her now? Being whiny in such a public manner is so short-sited.

She sounds like she has a strong entitlement view of life; would be interesting to know about her family history and educational background. She needs a mentor, but am not sure she would listen. I guess I'm coming down pretty firmly on YELP's side in this matter and I don't particularly like them, and rarely use them, in fact.
She didn't give her real name, so I doubt if it will impact future employment, and I agree there are a whole bunch of things about this young lady that makes it easy to hate on her. But the fact is that tech companies have a reputation for treating their lower paid employees like crap. I posted some links in another thread about Google bus drivers who sleep in their cars between shifts, and another one about Intel handing out different color badges to their service/janitorial workers so that they can't eat in the cafeteria. There's no reason for treating people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I don't feel sorry for her at all. She should have had MULTIPLE roommates making $8 an hour, but instead she was paying $1200+ in rent. WTF was she expecting? 80% of her income was going towards rent! Did she not bust out a calculator and think to herself, hmmm... maybe I can't afford to live here?

Also, even though it wasn't up to her standards, she got free meals and snacks at work, along with health benefits. She sounds like an entitled, spoiled brat that has no clue about the way the world really works. Hopefully she leaves the Bay Area altogether, since she doesn't seem to have any idea about how life works here, and instead complains and blames everyone else.
Amen.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 PM

163 posts, read 273,482 times
There's something wrong with her story. $120.00/month Pg&E bill for an apartment? I know people who live in a single family home and their bill is $120/month and they go all out. An apartment (either a studio or one bedroom, I suppose) should probably be 80 bucks max (heater every night). Or if she was really penny pinching, she should just layer up with fleece jammies, cozy socks and sweaters!

I understand troubles and yes, her pay is low but she jumped too soon and complained prematurely. She should have instead adjusted her lifestyle accordingly (perhaps get a room mate?), start applying to other jobs that paid more then resigned in good terms. Yelp is great for her resume and I'm sure if she severed her employment properly, she could get neutral, if not positive recommendation from her supervisor. At this point, she can't even benefit from that sucky job, not one bit.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
There's something wrong with her story. $120.00/month Pg&E bill for an apartment? I know people who live in a single family home and their bill is $120/month and they go all out. An apartment (either a studio or one bedroom, I suppose) should probably be 80 bucks max (heater every night). Or if she was really penny pinching, she should just layer up with fleece jammies, cozy socks and sweaters!

I understand troubles and yes, her pay is low but she jumped too soon and complained prematurely. She should have instead adjusted her lifestyle accordingly (perhaps get a room mate?), start applying to other jobs that paid more then resigned in good terms. Yelp is great for her resume and I'm sure if she severed her employment properly, she could get neutral, if not positive recommendation from her supervisor. At this point, she can't even benefit from that sucky job, not one bit.
I live in a studio and have had a $100+ bill. Electric heat, electric stove, poor insulation, 1950s fridge. During those cold weeks I had my heater on all the time. Not impossible. Especially in an older building. Also keep in mind, in those older building there is no central heat. Mine is sort of in the middle of my apartment. So it goes up a lot higher than central heat would in another apartment.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
What I don't get is how she worked there for months. Unless she had a ton of savings and didn't seem to notice right away, how on earth do you go to write the rent check for $1200, after getting $750 checks bi-weekly, and not have it dawn on you that there's just no freaking way you can continue working for so little? I mean she did graduate college, didn't she? How the heck could she not have figured out that her situation was not sustainable by, um, the third paycheck she received? It boggles my mind...

Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I think she is a freelancer on the side.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM

629 posts, read 619,715 times
Quote:
I don't feel sorry for her at all. She should have had MULTIPLE roommates making $8 an hour, but instead she was paying $1200+ in rent. WTF was she expecting? 80% of her income was going towards rent! Did she not bust out a calculator and think to herself, hmmm... maybe I can't afford to live here?

Also, even though it wasn't up to her standards, she got free meals and snacks at work, along with health benefits. She sounds like an entitled, spoiled brat that has no clue about the way the world really works. Hopefully she leaves the Bay Area altogether, since she doesn't seem to have any idea about how life works here, and instead complains and blames everyone else.
This is actually very common among millenials. I find them to be the most difficult employees to manage. They feel they deserve everything even before they have done anything.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I mean she did graduate college, didn't she? How the heck could she not have figured out that her situation was not sustainable by, um, the third paycheck she received? It boggles my mind...
To be fair, her degree was in English lit, so...

Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
To be fair, her degree was in English lit, so...
and what is your degree in? Observational Studies?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She didn't give her real name, so I doubt if it will impact future employment, and I agree there are a whole bunch of things about this young lady that makes it easy to hate on her. But the fact is that tech companies have a reputation for treating their lower paid employees like crap. I posted some links in another thread about Google bus drivers who sleep in their cars between shifts, and another one about Intel handing out different color badges to their service/janitorial workers so that they can't eat in the cafeteria. There's no reason for treating people like that.
With any future job application there would be a good possibility of a potential employer contacting her previous job's supervisor. Especially if she was only there for a short while.

I hope this follows her for a good while.

Also, with those positions you mentioned, are they actually employees or independent contractors? If they are ICs then I see nothing wrong with that scenario. If they are employees though, well...they gotta keep their stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland