Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 03:39 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Numbers, here you go. $900k house with 20% down equals PITI of $4,300/month at 3.625% interest rate. Someone making $200k grosses $16,700 per month, maybe just under $11,000 per month net. There is $6,700 left over per month to cover health insurance ($300), gas and electric ($175), cell phone ($150), gas ($100), 401k ($1,500), car payments ($600), groceries ($500), dinners out ($300), vacations ($500), kids activities ($1,000). Seems like it can be done on $200k to me. What did I miss? College tuition, sure guess that is another one. Good thing there is $1,500 left over. Haven't budgeted like this since our kids were small, but these are the ones I remember. Let me know, I'm open to suggestions if there is disagreement here as I'm done wasting my time on this.
For that to be accurate you'd have to pencil in saving PRE-that point for for the down.

So, same couple. Change their 4300 month PITI to 2500 a month rent. 180,000K (20% down) / 5 years / 12 month a year = $3000 a month.

So Prior to this point, that $4,300 is $5500.
There's still 300 left over to spare- BUT! BUT! BUT! BUT!

That's on a 200K salary! (or two $100K salaries).
Those are still Top Earners nationally.

Most people are NOT earning 100K.
The advice to son leaves out -

DONT WORK in the majority of the Bay Area industries.
Don't be a hotel manager, don't be a teacher, don't be a social worker, don't be an auto service advisor, don't be a house painter, don't be an airline flight attendant, don't be a ballet dancer, don't be a tour guide, don't be a postal employee, don't be a carpet salesman, don't be a cafe manager, don't be a retail manager, don't be a taxi driver, don't be a museum docent, don't be a security guard, don't be a customer service representitive, don't work in print journalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
For that to be accurate you'd have to pencil in saving PRE-that point for for the down.

So, same couple. Change their 4300 month PITI to 2500 a month rent. 180,000K (20% down) / 5 years / 12 month a year = $3000 a month.

Don't be a hotel manager, don't be a teacher, don't be a social worker, don't be an auto service advisor, don't be a house painter, don't be an airline flight attendant, don't be a ballet dancer, don't be a tour guide, don't be a postal employee, don't be a carpet salesman, don't be a cafe manager, don't be a retail manager, don't be a taxi driver, don't be a museum docent, don't be a security guard, don't be a customer service representitive, don't work in print journalism.
My reply was to someone that said you needed over $300k to do this. Don't care that they are top earners or not. My scenario is $200k. If you have a problem with my math and budget let me know. Otherwise, these people can save up for 5-10 years to buy their house, just like the majority of people that own houses do. I was 32 and considered myself luck to do it back then and it was only 10% down.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:18 PM

964 posts, read 995,233 times
Quote:
\

My reading of the OP gave the impression he was talking to precisely that lower-earner level. He mentioned taking extra jobs, living with parents to save for the downpayment (the whole thing would be impossible without this, in today's market), and other austerity measures to pull it off. Some of Ultrarunner's suggestions about finding unusual opportunities in the market were also helpful. The overall tone has been that it's very challenging for mid-range earners, but not impossible with sacrifice, compromise and some resourcefulness.

Whether or not someone is willing to make those sacrifices and compromises, and buy a marginal property being auctioned off, or in need of repair, or located in a transitional neighborhood, is a personal decision. Some may bag it and move to where that degree austerity isn't necessary. But whether or not to make the decision to take it or leave it and move elsewhere isn't the topic of the thread.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:

You could be a trash collector in San Francisco or a Nurse at SF General...

As to many of the others... it would help if you started your own House Painting Business, Floor Covering Business or even a Security Business.

I think you are lamenting the demise of the Union Worker in Manufacturing...

Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM

OK... I will post this again...

Young high school sweethearts the first in their family to go to college...

He is African American and is a police officer and her family is from the Philippines and she became a Nurse.

This 24 year old couple bought a nice little home in San Leandro that had lots of upgrades... no silver spoon or money tree...

The first full year they made 220k between them for overtime...

Not only is it possible it happens...

Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM

958 posts, read 1,148,301 times
https://www.city-data.com/city/San-Le...alifornia.html

Yep, you are right. It is entirely possible for a couple like your example that is earning 3.7 times the median household income in san leandro, which was 63k in 2013.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangul313 View Post
What year was this in and how big was the house? A 2 bed room tiny house goes for 400K in San Leandro. Yes you can technically buy something if 900 Square feet and 1 batrhoom for 400-450K is your thing. I think that is ridiculous personally.
2014 and with the added family room it was just under 1400 square feet.

They had no trouble qualifying... both have government jobs... she works for Highland and he works for OPD>

Old 03-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/city/San-Le...alifornia.html

Yep, you are right. It is entirely possible for a couple like your example that is earning 3.7 times the median household income in san leandro, which was 63k in 2013.
There are young people with no family money or position that make their own way in this very expensive area... overtime sure did help and is fairly typical for Police Officers and happens in Nursing.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:18 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:

So, same couple. Change their 4300 month PITI to 2500 a month rent. 180,000K (20% down) / 5 years / 12 month a year = $3000 a month.....
And recall that his advice was to put down a much lower amount than 20%, since apparently all he looks at is monthly payment, as opposed to the enormous amount he's financing for all those years into the future.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 PM

958 posts, read 1,148,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There are young people with no family money or position that make their own way in this very expensive area... overtime sure did help and is fairly typical for Police Officers and happens in Nursing.
Yep, no argument, those are great careers. But most folks are not making anywhere near that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland