Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:11 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,289,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most people say hi back to me. But yes, initiating a hello isn't part of the culture of CA.
Depends on which part of CA. I grew up in a small town on the Central Coast, where saying hi was very common. My wife (girlfriend at the time) used to tell me I was weird for trying to say hi to people while we were hiking and getting irritated when they'd ignore me. Slowly, but surely, living in the Bay Area for over a decade has hardened me and I think that is not necessarily for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Just to be clear, only a fraction of Peet's customers are the 'Peet's people' I illustrated in my previous post. I do prefer Starbucks coffee and their stores, however I have found Peet's baristas are usually better able to be on top of keeping the condiment bar stocked. Peet's also has one item that Starbucks does not (I have to limit myself to maybe 1-2 per week max when in California )....their salted chocolate chip cookies.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:13 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In my post that you originally asked for the explanation for I was responding to the content of THAT PARTICULAR post, not specifically the thread title. I may be wrong, but I think if he was ONLY referring to smiling, I don't think he would have phrased his post in the manner he did.

The Peet's/Starbucks thing....Everyone in my family that I can think of....doesn't matter, either one is fine. However, nearly all of us know people who are 'Peet's people', who think Starbucks is for the hoi polloi, people they deem to have no taste, no sense of discernment. Those 'Peet's people' would only darken the door of a Starbucks if a Starbucks = the only option, or might decide to 'suffer' and still avoid the Starbucks. I had barely started this explanation to the aforementioned (earlier in the thread) Starbucks barista in Texas (Peet's only exists in Texas (physically) in airports, which not everyone utilizes) when I didn't need to explain any further...he told me had had just spent the summer living with his uncle in Orinda, and that his uncle is one of those 'Peet's people'.
hm...I think people are taking others' preferences way too seriously. It's not a big deal. Just because I like Peet's (and I don't even drink coffee!), I'd be labeled a "peet's person"? I don't think so. But....whatever.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into all that. Who knew that there were people out there who dedicate time and energy to mocking Larmorinda people? Oh well. It just rained where I live, which is a rare event, so I'm going to go out and enjoy the fresh post-rain air.

Enjoy your weekend.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, only a fraction of Peet's customers are the 'Peet's people' I illustrated in my previous post. I do prefer Starbucks coffee and their stores, however I have found Peet's baristas are usually better able to be on top of keeping the condiment bar stocked. Peet's also has one item that Starbucks does not (I have to limit myself to maybe 1-2 per week max when in California )....their salted chocolate chip cookies.
Peet's is also a tea shop, which is what attracted me to it originally. Their shops also seem to have a certain warmth and coziness that S'bux lacks, but maybe that's just me. Besides, Peet's started out as a Berkeley or Bay Area company, so some of us like to root for the home team.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 AM

884 posts, read 1,172,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Depends on which part of CA. I grew up in a small town on the Central Coast, where saying hi was very common. My wife (girlfriend at the time) used to tell me I was weird for trying to say hi to people while we were hiking and getting irritated when they'd ignore me. Slowly, but surely, living in the Bay Area for over a decade has hardened me and I think that is not necessarily for the better.
I felt that way about the time I spent in CA too. i am still re-learning how not to be a biatch all the time to everyone lol...actually say hi and wave and say how are you and mean it. Funny how that works. I didn't even live in the bay area but visited semi-frequently.

On another note I love Peet's but I think the sbux vs peet's distinction in socal is apparently quite different in that people aren't loyal to one or the other but just go to whichever is convenient. I definitely prefer Peet's coffee and wish it was more available here.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:45 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your explanation tells me nothing about what the OP is getting at, though, in dividing California between Starbux vs. Peet's customers. I still don't know what it's supposed to imply about personalities, or personal politics, or whatever he's trying to say.
That's because I haven't a clue about the personalities or personal politics of coffee, nor could I care less what it says or does not say about me or anybody else.

I just buy and drink what I like to drink. I'm glad that my choice supports a local business.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,951 times
Quote:
Ramesh,

You will find the Peets on Stockton street does not always have a fully stocked condiment bar. So unAmerican in many ways. I went to look for some ketchup for my Peets cheese burger and there was none at all.

I wish I was new to the place like yourself. The memory of my first fruit and oat bar at Peets will always stay with me.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
I noticed this too when I moved from the South to S.F., and that was back in the 80's! But then I moved to San Diego, and wow, those were some of the unfriendliest people I had ever seen (until a move to Portland and a visit to Maine, LOL). There's a LOT of people in S.F. now that are from places that just don't have a friendly vibe or culture, so that's a part of it. It wasn't so bad in the past though. I actually met a couple of good friends just hanging out and waiting on the bus. Can't imagine that happening now. The stress level on the streets is far different than in the past too. Too many crazies, too many transplants, too much of everything.

The comment about the different cultures not mixing is spot on. The Japanese live in Japan Town, the Chinese in the Avenues, Blacks in the Fillmore, Vietnamese in the Tenderloin, Latinos in the Mission....guess that will change now that S.F. is becoming such a yuppie place for white people from somewhere else. I mean, just the fact that people are debating Peet's vs Starbucks is laughable. Those aren't even coffee houses, they're yuppie networking places. There's hardly any coffee houses left in the tradition of the Cafe La Boheme or the old Cafe Macondo in the Mission. Welcome to Ohio West.

Last edited by smarino; 04-14-2016 at 04:13 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,940 times
This is an interesting thread. I didn't read the whole thing, but interesting nonetheless. I moved to San Francisco from NYC back in 1999, and lived in the Bay Area until 2006. When I moved there, I was actually unnerved, because people were saying hello to me (and smiling). I thought I was gonna get mugged, because that has never happened to me in NYC (people saying hello). So on a whole, I find Californian's in general to be a more friendly group as opposed to New Yorkers.

That being said, the stereotype of the rude New Yorker is so wildly untrue. They may look unapproachable, but in time of need, for instance, if you are lost in NYC, 99.99% of the people will be glad to help. It's just that New Yorkers have a very hurried personality, so they look like they don't wanna be bothered. NYC is a very intense/frenzied/crazy fast place. I actually was bit overwhelmed when I moved back in 2006. And I was born and raised in NYC, was 36 when I moved to California.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Good points.

I find Walnut Creek to be pretty friendly.

Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda on the other hard is different. It really feels like I'm living in a city full of oddballs that are from another planet. The social norms around here are very hard to understand.
I agree on the Walnut Creek part, lived there from 1999-2006, and found the people there to be very nice, very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland