Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 PM

6,089 posts, read 5,005,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Do the math again or re-read my post...

If the average price is $1 million and the market goes up 30% the average price will be $1.3 million and then if the housing crashes the average house will be around $650,000
Uh, you said:

Quote:
I'm saying we will at some point see around a 50% drop, whether home prices appreciate another 30% who knows.
So you made a claim that we will see a 50% drop, then maybe some offhand comment about "who knows" how much it will go from here. Sorry, but that wasn't very clear to me.

But since you seem to have made a firmer stance on your prediction, you think that homes will appreciate another 30%, and then drop 50%. Okay let's work with that.

You think 2 bedroom homes in the Inner Richmond will be $650,000 in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Right on the money, CaliRestoration with your posts. I have mirrored your comments in many threads. You will have tomatoes thrown at you by the class envy people (which is all this is when you get down to the meat and potatoes of it).
I'm used to it.

I don't think many people like to think about things using actual logic or facts on most message boards, they would rather vent based on emotion and how they feel.

That's how you get people who think Inner Richmond 2 bedroom homes will be $650k in the near future.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 903,761 times
Quote:

If the average price is $1 million and the market goes up 30% the average price will be $1.3 million and then if the housing crashes the average house will be around $650,000
There still is no basis for that reasoning. Even if the average price is $1.3 million, why would they drop 50%? They didn't drop 50% after 2008 from their high (at least not homes in the SF metro region). Our home in Daly City peaked at about $780 in 2006 (had it appraised at the time) and never went below $500K. Homes did not drop that much and lending standards are tighter now with no liar loans (so complete income verification), and many cash buyers that have plenty of equity. Anyone can scream the sky is falling, but how about trying to justify why the next recession would be worse than the last one. I don't think you can.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'm used to it.

I don't think many people like to think about things using actual logic or facts on most message boards, they would rather vent based on emotion and how they feel.

That's how you get people who think Inner Richmond 2 bedroom homes will be $650k in the near future.
Yep

Old 06-15-2016, 12:45 PM

25 posts, read 19,506 times
Quote:

Math can be hard for some people

He's still trying to attach a dollar amount to your prediction which is quite amusing since it's quite obvious you only mentioned percentages.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MoneyPenny View Post
Math can be hard for some people

He's still trying to attach a dollar amount to your prediction which is quite amusing since it's quite obvious you only mentioned percentages.

Registered: June 2016 (just started posting within the past couple of hours)

Now he's creating his own sock puppet accounts to support his own dubious predictions.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Now he's creating his own sock puppet accounts to support his own dubious predictions.
Hilarious!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM

677 posts, read 836,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you don't escape paying property tax, interest and insurance when you rent. Renters may not get a tax bill in the mail, or see the interest and insurance charges on a mortgage statement, but oh are they paying it...

Signed: A rental property owner.
Hate to break it to you, but you can only charge in rent what the market will bear. You cannot charge way more than the market rate regardless of what your total expenses are.

For example, if the market rent for a 2BR/2BA unit in your area is $2,000/month but your total monthly expenses (i.e., mortgage (interest + principle), property taxes, maintenance, insurance, HOA, etc.) for that unit is $3,000/month, too bad for you. You cannot charge $3,000/month to cover your expenses because no one would rent it. And you will rent it for the market rate of $2,000/month and take the $1,000/month loss because a $1,000/month loss is still better than a $3,000/month loss if it sits vacant.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:54 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,040,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you can only charge in rent what the market will bear. You cannot charge way more than the market rate regardless of what your total expenses are.
I never said you could.

See my follow up post though. If the total for principal, interest, and property tax is LESS than what the market rate is for rent, then you bet your ass the landlord is not paying it.

Quote:
For example, if the market rent for a 2BR/2BA unit in your area is $2,000/month but your total monthly expenses (i.e., mortgage (interest + principle), property taxes, maintenance, insurance, HOA, etc.) for that unit is $3,000/month, too bad for you.
That's the thing though, rent is seldom less than a mortgage. One more time, don't take my word for it - see for yourself. Go to a real estate website and get some estimates. Then compare them with rents for similar properties in that same area.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, but if I have heard renters laugh about not paying taxes and insurance once I've heard it 100 times. That simply is not the case though.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 989,798 times
Quote:

BMW obviously has too much time on his hands. Funny how people really waste their time on the Internet. They are the ones with the most posts and the ones that complain the most about not owning a home. Hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland