Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 03:34 PM

197 posts, read 271,391 times

Advertisements

I can't take anything that Neutrino guy says seriously 😂 he's single, no kids and lives with roommates at almost 40. That is completely unacceptable to 99.9% of the adult US population.

I'm here for experience and bouncing out as soon as I can. Middle class may be $100k a year, ok. Fine.

But middle class in America also means you should be able to have a decent home in a decent, safe area and send your kids to good schools. The middle class across America can do that. Not here.

The reality is you need $250k+ income or more just to break even and do the same things that every other middle class person can do elsewhere on $50k salaries. We have doctors, lawyers, here in the Bay that struggle to do that. That is messed up.

Los Angeles and other major CA cities now are "cheap" options compared to here.

The Bay Area is amazing, don't get me wrong. But it's not worth it for long term plans with a family unless you make $250k+.

So why work so hard, why deal with that....when you can live elsewhere on easy street? Just vacation here.

I can't wait to leave the Bay and get back to Arizona where life is a friggin cakewalk. It's $120/round trip flight to the Bay to visit.

I'll take a 3,000 sq ft custom home with a negative edge pool, in a gated neighborhood and with A rated schools, all day every day over a 1 bedroom condo in the ghetto for the same price here in California. Oh yeah, and afford to save for rainy days and retirement...something the middle class can't do in the Bay Area. Literally everyone I've met since moving here is broke as fvck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
I can't take anything that Neutrino guy says seriously 😂 he's single, no kids and lives with roommates at almost 40. That is completely unacceptable to 99.9% of the adult US population.

I'm here for experience and bouncing out as soon as I can. Middle class may be $100k a year, ok. Fine.

But middle class in America also means you should be able to have a decent home in a decent, safe area and send your kids to good schools. The middle class across America can do that. Not here.

The reality is you need $250k+ income or more just to break even and do the same things that every other middle class person can do elsewhere on $50k salaries. We have doctors, lawyers, here in the Bay that struggle to do that. That is messed up.

Los Angeles and other major CA cities now are "cheap" options compared to here.

The Bay Area is amazing, don't get me wrong. But it's not worth it for long term plans with a family unless you make $250k+.

So why work so hard, why deal with that....when you can live elsewhere on easy street? Just vacation here.

I can't wait to leave the Bay and get back to Arizona where life is a friggin cakewalk. It's $120/round trip flight to the Bay to visit.

I'll take a 3,000 sq ft custom home with a negative edge pool, in a gated neighborhood and with A rated schools, all day every day over a 1 bedroom condo in the ghetto for the same price here in California. Oh yeah, and afford to save for rainy days and retirement...something the middle class can't do in the Bay Area. Literally everyone I've met since moving here is broke as fvck.
I'm trapped here only because I have to take care of my family and the fact that I would die if exposed to the hot weather in the other parts of the country. I NEED eureka-like weather to survive

Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
San Jose was a small town back then. So yes I would expect that a middle class person could buy a single family home in a small town.
In 1980, San Jose was the 4th largest city in California and the 17th largest city in the U.S.

Biggest US Cities by Population in 1980, California - Historical Census Data

Quote:
You could go buy five acres of empty land in Nevada for $1000 or whatever and build a house there.
Where exactly is that? FEDGOV owns 84.9% of the land in Nevada, a greater percentage than in any other state by far.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf

Old 06-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I'm trapped here only because I have to take care of my family and the fact that I would die if exposed to the hot weather in the other parts of the country. I NEED eureka-like weather to survive
This reply to AZJD = the subject of AZJD's post = you. It wasn't. It was neutrino.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
This reply to AZJD = the subject of AZJD's post = you. It wasn't. It was neutrino.
I know it wasn't me. I'm just giving my grain of salt of why I'm trapped here.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Not in your opinion. Obviously those of us who live here don't agree with you on that.
Really? How many other people in San Jose think San Jose is at the same level as London, NYC and Hong Kong? Do you realize that cities across the world are ranked by Alpha, Beta, Gamma, etc., and plus or minus within each group? San Jose is ranked well below London, NYC, and Hong Kong.

Quote:
Your conception of San Jose seems to be stuck in 1950, when it was a small town south of San Francisco. A lot has changed since then.
You're moving the goalposts. First it was 1980, now 1950.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
Outside of major cities, that's probably true. It wouldn't be true in Los Angeles, New York or San Jose.

The single and no kids part has nothing to do with where I live. It is looks and personality (my personality is compatible with being friends with a woman, but apparently not with being their boyfriend).

Quote:
I'm here for experience and bouncing out as soon as I can.
Well, you see, I'm not a transplant. I grew up here.

Quote:
I agree, if by "decent home" you mean "single family home with a big yard in which you own the land underneath". If that is what you mean, then yes, you are absolutely right.

On the other hand, the middle class can and does live here. Just not in SFHs. They rent apartments, they rent and/or buy small condos. Yes, people do raise families in condos.

Think about it, people: if it were really true that no family can live here because they can't buy a SFH unless they have a huge income, how could the population of San Jose be one million people? OBVIOUSLY, there are many people who don't mind living here in a condo. We don't have enough SFHs in Silicon Valley for the population to be what it is if everyone is in a SFH.

Quote:
Not really. Doctors and lawyers struggle to own a SFH in London, Paris, New York and all the other major cities. Why would they not struggle to do so here?

Quote:
Because this is where everything happens. I would much rather live in an apartment in Silicon Valley than live in a SFH in the middle of nowhere. I want to live in Silicon Valley, not [expletive] Arizona, not [expletive] Nevada, not [expletive] Texas.

Quote:
I'll take a 3,000 sq ft custom home with a negative edge pool, in a gated neighborhood and with A rated schools, all day every day over a 1 bedroom condo in the ghetto for the same price here in California. Oh yeah, and afford to save for rainy days and retirement...something the middle class can't do in the Bay Area.
You can get a one bedroom condo in downtown San Jose, which is definitely NOT "the ghetto" -- a penthouse condo sold there for 2.2 million dollars a couple years ago -- on a middle class salary. You can get everything you're talking about except the SFH.

Quote:
Literally everyone I've met since moving here is broke as fvck.
Well, if someone makes 100k and somehow sees themselves as broke, they're doing something wrong, because I make 1/5th of that and I can pay rent, 1/3 of my income. Why can't they?

Old 06-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Outside of major cities, that's probably true. It wouldn't be true in Los Angeles, New York or San Jose.

The single and no kids part has nothing to do with where I live. It is looks and personality (my personality is compatible with being friends with a woman, but apparently not with being their boyfriend).

Well, you see, I'm not a transplant. I grew up here.

I agree, if by "decent home" you mean "single family home with a big yard in which you own the land underneath". If that is what you mean, then yes, you are absolutely right.

On the other hand, the middle class can and does live here. Just not in SFHs. They rent apartments, they rent and/or buy small condos. Yes, people do raise families in condos.

Think about it, people: if it were really true that no family can live here because they can't buy a SFH unless they have a huge income, how could the population of San Jose be one million people? OBVIOUSLY, there are many people who don't mind living here in a condo. We don't have enough SFHs in Silicon Valley for the population to be what it is if everyone is in a SFH.

Not really. Doctors and lawyers struggle to own a SFH in London, Paris, New York and all the other major cities. Why would they not struggle to do so here?

Because this is where everything happens. I would much rather live in an apartment in Silicon Valley than live in a SFH in the middle of nowhere. I want to live in Silicon Valley, not [expletive] Arizona, not [expletive] Nevada, not [expletive] Texas.

You can get a one bedroom condo in downtown San Jose, which is definitely NOT "the ghetto" -- a penthouse condo sold there for 2.2 million dollars a couple years ago -- on a middle class salary. You can get everything you're talking about except the SFH.

Well, if someone makes 100k and somehow sees themselves as broke, they're doing something wrong, because I make 1/5th of that and I can pay rent, 1/3 of my income. Why can't they?

You just called downtown San Jose not the ghetto? The tiny amount of credibility you have is gone now. I wouldn't walk down the street there after 10

Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In 1980, San Jose was the 4th largest city in California and the 17th largest city in the U.S.

Biggest US Cities by Population in 1980, California - Historical Census Data
Dude...the population was 50% of what it is now. Read that web page again.

The current population of San Jose is approximately one million. In 2016, it is the 10th largest city in the USA, not the 17th.

Not to mention, the industry was just barely getting started in 1980. Apple was a startup. Apple is now the most successful company in the history of the world.

Quote:
Where exactly is that? FEDGOV owns 84.9% of the land in Nevada
For example, here is 20 acres of land in Nevada for 35k, and no, I did not forget a zero:

Elko, Elko County, Nevada land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

But like I said...if you do that, you have to live out in the middle of nowhere. If that is what you want, more power to you. I want to live in Silicon Valley.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Dude...the population was 50% of what it is now. Read that web page again.

The current population of San Jose is approximately one million.

Not to mention, the industry was just barely getting started in 1980. Apple was a startup. Apple is now the most successful company in the history of the world.

For example, here is 20 acres of land in Nevada for 35k, and no, I did not forget a zero:

Elko, Elko County, Nevada land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

But like I said...if you do that you have to live out in the middle of nowhere. If that is what you want, more power to you. I want to live in Silicon Valley.
You haven't seen the stock performance of apple recently. Successful my keister. Also your Nevada land example is such a straw man that I saw it skip off into the distance with Dorothy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland