Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 9,887 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are a couple in mid-30s, household income before taxes 450k, 2 kids under the age of 3. Currently living in MSP-St Paul area. We have loved SF area as visitors but housing expenses are terrible. We have an opportunity for a job change and a move to the East bay area, working in Fremont and living possibly in Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon.

We do like our current job in MN but the weather and lack of social activities is unfavorable. Husband has been offered a promotion in SF but same salary.

We are first generation Asian immigrants and the prospect of living in a more diverse place with many nearby things to do is exciting. But we are obviously concerned about housing expenses in the bay area. We wouldn't want to pay more than 800k-1.1M for a house. My searches have revealed 4 BR houses available in this range but its a small inventory especially in good school areas.

What does the forum think?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 12:48 AM

522 posts, read 737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percentage_plyr View Post
Hello everyone,

We are a couple in mid-30s, household income before taxes 450k, 2 kids under the age of 3. Currently living in MSP-St Paul area. We have loved SF area as visitors but housing expenses are terrible. We have an opportunity for a job change and a move to the East bay area, working in Fremont and living possibly in Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon.

We do like our current job in MN but the weather and lack of social activities is unfavorable. Husband has been offered a promotion in SF but same salary.

We are first generation Asian immigrants and the prospect of living in a more diverse place with many nearby things to do is exciting. But we are obviously concerned about housing expenses in the bay area. We wouldn't want to pay more than 800k-1.1M for a house. My searches have revealed 4 BR houses available in this range but its a small inventory especially in good school areas.

What does the forum think?

Thanks.
Look at the nice parts of Oakland, San Leandro, Hayward, Alameda, Berkeley. You can pretty much live anywhere with that budget fairly comfortably, with the exception of SF proper.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 AM

197 posts, read 271,391 times
I just moved out of East Bay but absolutely loved some parts of it.

If I could live anywhere in the East Bay, it would be Danville or Lafayette. Utopia towns. Lafayette has a BART station too.

If your husband has to work in San Francisco, id be all over living in Lafayette. Their downtown is great too.

Danville, Walnut Creek, Alamo, Lafayette would be my top picks since you have children. Just absolutely perfect towns.

I like Berkeley and Oakland, but I'd never live there with kids. It's so grungy. It's a place better suited for those without a family.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:18 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post

I like Berkeley and Oakland, but I'd never live there with kids. It's so grungy. It's a place better suited for those without a family.
You are writing off two cities which have plenty of areas that are great for kids. They can probably afford Piedmont, Montclair, and the Berkeley hills which are far from 'grungy'.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You are writing off two cities which have plenty of areas that are great for kids. They can probably afford Piedmont, Montclair, and the Berkeley hills which are far from 'grungy'.
Agree, AZ has no idea what he/she is talking about. Plenty of well off families in Berkeley/No Berkeley and Oakland. Pleasanton works best for commute since the job is in Fremont. So does San Ramon, Danville. If work is close to Fremont Bart, then Berkeley, Albany, Oakland works as well. I wouldn't want to have to drive from Berkeley to Fremont everyday, but Bart would be fine about 45 minute Bart ride. Just depends if the OP wants suburban or somewhat urban.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:56 AM

522 posts, read 737,754 times
I think Hayward is the best option. It's just north of Fremont, you get a lot for your money and you're a stones throw away from all the cultural amenities in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley. Also, when the new San Jose BART station opens, it would be fairly close to San Jose.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I think Hayward is the best option. It's just north of Fremont, you get a lot for your money and you're a stones throw away from all the cultural amenities in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley. Also, when the new San Jose BART station opens, it would be fairly close to San Jose.
Have you ever been to Hayward???

If they have a budget of $800k-$1.1 million, I can't imagine why they'd consider Hayward for even a second. The schools are poor and it's overall just a rundown, dumpy city with higher than average crime. Of course, people will say that the hills are nice and I do mostly agree. If you live in the hills though, you still have to go down the hill for shopping, etc. and your kids still have to go to the crappy schools.

If the job is in Fremont, I'm not sure why nobody is suggesting Fremont (which is leaps and bounds nicer than Hayward, BTW). Fremont probably offers most of what they seem to be asking for. Fremont has good schools, there's housing within their budget, the commute would be great, many other recent Asian immigrants live there, it's in a great central Bay Area location to other great places, it's got a BART station, it's overall very safe, it's got lots of shopping and dining options, etc.

It is somewhat boring suburbia and traffic is bad, but the same could also be said for many other Bay Area locations.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:54 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Why don't you move to Fremont so you won't have to commute as far?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
The commute on 880 South will be killer.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Um, not on a combined income of 400k+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland