Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
sav858: "Oakland is a high growth city."

sav858: "Concord has ONLY slightly higher growth than Oakland since 2000."

save858: "Concord isn't a high growth city."

WTF?
Facts and statistics confuse you apparently. The only thing you've said that is correct is that Dublin is a high growth city and building a lot. At least you got one thing right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 PM

20 posts, read 35,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
I have to agree with everything the OP says, the worst part is that people from the Bay have the audacity to act like they're somehow living better than other people in the country when really they're just paying for an overpriced version of St. Louis, I hope people stop being fooled into thinking it's a good idea to live there, they're being robbed of their money really.
I'm glad that you get it. What bothers me the most is how ignorant many Bay Area people are when they believe that they live in such a great place and everything else in the county is backwards. SF people always comparing themselves with NYC and they think that they live in a much better city. The BS they use in arguments is laughable. "NYC is way too cold, SF has perfect "mild" weather", "NYC is full of rude people","Rent here (SF) is higher than NYC because we are a better place to live" etc.

People also hate on LA and SoCal for being materialist and superficial is also laughable. San Franciscans (especially the new tech transplants) are the biggest hypocrites.

I am leaving the filthy city by next month and can't wait! The so called "mild" weather in SF is also terrible. No real summer in the city!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 PM

197 posts, read 271,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
I'm glad that you get it. What bothers me the most is how ignorant many Bay Area people are when they believe that they live in such a great place and everything else in the county is backwards. SF people always comparing themselves with NYC and they think that they live in a much better city. The BS they use in arguments is laughable. "NYC is way too cold, SF has perfect "mild" weather", "NYC is full of rude people","Rent here (SF) is higher than NYC because we are a better place to live" etc.

People also hate on LA and SoCal for being materialist and superficial is also laughable. San Franciscans (especially the new tech transplants) are the biggest hypocrites.

I am leaving the filthy city by next month and can't wait! The so called "mild" weather in SF is also terrible. No real summer in the city!
This.

Don't get me wrong, SF is amazing. But it royally sucks to live there as a middle class person.

I am living (financially) a million times better in Scottsdale, Arizona. It's a 2 hour flight to SFO or OAK.
I used to spend 2 hours in traffic in the Bay.

Unless you are a millionaire, SF is just a great place to visit and awful
Place to live.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
I have to agree with everything the OP says, the worst part is that people from the Bay have the audacity to act like they're somehow living better than other people in the country when really they're just paying for an overpriced version of St. Louis, I hope people stop being fooled into thinking it's a good idea to live there, they're being robbed of their money really.
If you think SF is an overpriced St. Louis, I don't know what to say. St. Louis has extreme crime, poverty, and a declining population and diversity is black and white. It is more preferable to be in the rich suburbs west of town than in the city. Also, it's hot and humid in the summer and very cold and snowy in St. Louis in the winter.

SF features a low crime, diverse environment that is an economic powerhouse. The city is more expensive and preferable to the suburbs. It is mild year round.

There could be nothing more opposite SF than St. Louis.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
Are you going to move and then come back to this forum to bash SF like so many others before you? Sounds like SF is not the place for you. Move on dude. You are such a whiny b!

Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
The most dangerous cities in America

#1 St Louis

Old 01-15-2017, 11:54 AM

20 posts, read 35,142 times
San Francisco has the highest per capita property crime rate in US!!! Almost every single person I know that lives in SF with a car has had their car broken in. It even happened to me and it hasn't even been a year since I moved to this toilet .

A lot of cities that have high violent crimes are also geographically segregated where crime only happens in certain neighborhoods and that easily be avoided. For example in Chicago most violent crime happens in limited areas of southside and westside, while majority of the northside and loop are pretty safe. All of SF to me feels much more dangerous! Also the very high homeless population all over SF is disturbing. Just go down Market Street and you will see what I mean. Its a toilet!

Source:SF Now Has Highest Per Capita Property Crime Rate In The US: SFist
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/25/u...rsen.html?_r=0

Old 01-21-2017, 11:58 AM

92 posts, read 87,254 times
According to an article I've read recently, because of high housing pricing residents moving to another cities and generally engineers want to live in SF because there are so much advantages for IT industry.

You should read that article before move to SF:

Bay Area Experience

Old 01-21-2017, 01:00 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I loved San Francisco we lived there for 30 years, but in retirement, we felt it prudent to move somewhere cheaper. Of course the City is not for everyone, no city or county can be. I wish OP all the best in his new home, where are you moving to?

Old 09-02-2018, 12:36 PM

653 posts, read 464,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
The parking situation throughout most of SF is enough to make me not want to live there. And obviously, the rents are unbelievable, especially for what you get. Much of the housing stock is old and unkept looking, with dingy exterior colors and frayed facades; and you are lucky to get a private parking spot and even a little greenery in your 'yard'; most front yards are simply concrete, with maybe a few shrubs and maybe a tree somewhere close by. And yet you still have to pay a premium to live in such areas. It's rather depressing. And when you see all the bars on the windows and heavy security doors at the entrances of most buildings, it gives off the feeling of living in a prison. Those tenement-style buildings emit a sort of rundown ghetto vibe. So many of the entrances to many of the apartments are so drab and rundown looking and dark-- it's sort of depressing to think people are paying so much to live in such dank buildings. Not all mind you, but a large portion of SF housing stock looks down right crappy and ugly, yet it costs a premium to live in those places.

And even the nice, upscale areas are congested, have parking and traffic issues, and are always a stone's throw away of some crime-ridden area.
I agree that the parking situation is crazy here. I'm pretty new to SF and have a garage in my building. I'm honestly thinking of giving up my car for good, though, as I can easily get anywhere at any time by public transportation. It's really quite easy here.

My building of 12 really large apartments isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it has a large, well maintained private garden and we are a couple of blocks away from 3 large city parks that are also very nicely kept and are popular on sunny days with locals and tourists. There are also parrots living in the big palm trees in the park! Big lavender bushes too.

My building is a Mediterranean style place and there are many Victorian and French-looking places on adjacent blocks. It's beautiful and in the evenings people are always out walking around. It's a quiet neighborhood, but there are many lively streets of restaurants and bars just a few blocks away in any direction.

I walk around at all hours and don't feel unsafe at all. Coming from Houston, where we didn't go outside about 6-7 months a year, I love walking places and the weather is sooo nice here. Totally worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland