Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

9 posts, read 9,657 times

Advertisements

Hi! Moving to SF due to husband's job. We have a toddler who will need to be in preschool. We are coming from Manhattan and housing prices are not a sticker shock for us. But we are clueless as to where to live. Hubs needs to be near financial district in SF and my toddler will need to be enrolled in a preschool. We want to rent and live in the city for a year or two before we buy. Our budget would be about $8k/month. Can you recommend some family friendly neighborhoods in the central area? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumparoo View Post
Hi! Moving to SF due to husband's job. We have a toddler who will need to be in preschool. We are coming from Manhattan and housing prices are not a sticker shock for us. But we are clueless as to where to live. Hubs needs to be near financial district in SF and my toddler will need to be enrolled in a preschool. We want to rent and live in the city for a year or two before we buy. Our budget would be about $8k/month. Can you recommend some family friendly neighborhoods in the central area? Thank you!
You posted this in the general California forum. You'll probably get more responses if you post it in the San Francisco/Bay Area forum. You can click on the little red triangle icon to ask the moderators to move it for you.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,954 times
With your budget you can live in any neighborhood. I would personally stay away from SOMA. It is a trendy area, but it is terrible for families. I would personally live in the Richmond Area. It is very family friendly, has a ton of restaurants, shops and grocery stores, and is extremely walkable.

It is far from the FiDi, but it has express buses that don't stop anywhere between Richmond and FiDi. Both my wife and I work in FiDi and she takes the bus when she goes to work at 8:30 am, while I drive as I go to work at 6 am.

And for that budget you will get a VERY nice place in the Richmond.

We would not live in any other area in SF.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
With your budget you can live in any neighborhood. I would personally stay away from SOMA. It is a trendy area, but it is terrible for families. I would personally live in the Richmond Area. It is very family friendly, has a ton of restaurants, shops and grocery stores, and is extremely walkable.

It is far from the FiDi, but it has express buses that don't stop anywhere between Richmond and FiDi. Both my wife and I work in FiDi and she takes the bus when she goes to work at 8:30 am, while I drive as I go to work at 6 am.

And for that budget you will get a VERY nice place in the Richmond.

We would not live in any other area in SF.
They want to be closer to his work, though. You can afford, and would love, Russian Hill, OP, and you'd have money left over. There are buildings with spectacular views, with maid service for an extra monthly fee. Great neighborhood of walkable grocers, restaurants, shops, etc.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-24-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 03:38 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Good budget. Investigate Potrero Hill, though you are on a hill, i.e. not kid-friendly. Maybe Noe is best. Easy light rail commute, has some parks, lots of kids, active parents community. You could get a very very nice place with a view (you pay for that, but you're up a hill) or without in that range.

You could also look at Cole Valley or the hills of Upper Haight. Good enough commute, access to parks, etc.

Of course, there's Pacific Heights. You might want to say more about what you want culturally. What is family friendly in your terms?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:37 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
San Francisco is the most beautiful city in America, hands down.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM

136 posts, read 196,937 times
Kid-friendly neighborhoods: Noe Valley, Glen Park, Bernal Heights. You'll meet lots of young marrieds with children in those neighborhoods. Public transportation to downtown from these neighborhoods is easy.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 9,657 times
Do they have good schools in Noe? My son's schooling is a priority and my husband'is commute second. We are looking to spend most of our time at parks, playgrounds nearby, and make new friends for him. I'm a youngish (32 year old) stay at home so I would love to connect with others in a similar boat.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Do they have good schools in Noe? My son's schooling is a priority and my husband'is commute second. We are looking to spend most of our time at parks, playgrounds nearby, and make new friends for him. I'm a youngish (32 year old) stay at home so I would love to connect with others in a similar boat.
SF schools are a lottery and you may not get the neighborhood school.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 PM

136 posts, read 196,937 times
Quote:
Schools in SF are a crapshoot. The local school, Alvarado Elementary, is excellent but hard to get into. There are two great playgrounds in Noe Valley that are also social circles for parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland