Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:18 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The data seems off from FBI stats but maybe it was compiled by the state? I don't have time to look but this article evaluated all cities with a population of over 100k in California and named Vallejo as #4 and Oakland as #6 for having the highest violent crime rate (2015 data)

Most Dangerous Cities in California - Graham Donath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 PM

522 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The data seems off from FBI stats but maybe it was compiled by the state? I don't have time to look but this article evaluated all cities with a population of over 100k in California and named Vallejo as #4 and Oakland as #6 for having the highest violent crime rate (2015 data)

That data is off. Vallejo has never surpassed Oakland. Richmond has, but not Vallejo.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 PM

From what I've heard around town, the crime here is mostly drug/gang related. If you're not involved it is very unlikely you're going to have any issues. Oakland is similar in that sense. That's why you always see people on here defending Oakland. Oakland isn't that bad if you mind your business, and stay away from certain areas.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:

It's from City-Data, which I believe get their data from the FBI Uniform Crime Report.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
It's from City-Data, which I believe get their data from the FBI Uniform Crime Report.
Just looked at the report. It ranked Oakland as first in crime, the thing is, it also takes into account other factors.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
From what I've heard around town, the crime here is mostly drug/gang related. If you're not involved it is very unlikely you're going to have any issues. Oakland is similar in that sense. That's why you always see people on here defending Oakland. Oakland isn't that bad if you mind your business, and stay away from certain areas.
Not true, but I wish is was all drug/gang related because those crimes don't usually impact people not involved in those activities. What is disturbing about crime in Vallejo (and in Oakland) is the large amount of stranger violence. It doesn't make Vallejo a place where you shouldn't live but it makes Vallejo a place where you need to be aware of your surroundings at all time and don't ever get lulled into thinking it's a safe place to go for nighttime walks alone, bring a friend or a dog. If you shop at night park in a well lighted area and keep your eyes open for anyone who might be following you.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
That data is off. Vallejo has never surpassed Oakland. Richmond has, but not Vallejo.
Ok, if you say so.. there should be better stats released soon which will give us a better idea.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Not true, but I wish is was all drug/gang related because those crimes don't usually impact people not involved in those activities. What is disturbing about crime in Vallejo (and in Oakland) is the large amount of stranger violence. It doesn't make Vallejo a place where you shouldn't live but it makes Vallejo a place where you need to be aware of your surroundings at all time and don't ever get lulled into thinking it's a safe place to go for nighttime walks alone, bring a friend or a dog. If you shop at night park in a well lighted area and keep your eyes open for anyone who might be following you.
I see... Thanks for the heads up! Do you live in Vallejo?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
The stats don't back up these kinds of precautions. It is less safe than other cities, but still safer than Chicago, Atlanta, Oakland... yet I don't take these precautions in those cities. Well, I'm talking about not being able to get groceries at night without scanning all angles as you walk into the store.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The stats don't back up these kinds of precautions. It is less safe than other cities, but still safer than Chicago, Atlanta, Oakland... yet I don't take these precautions in those cities. Well, I'm talking about not being able to get groceries at night without scanning all angles as you walk into the store.
My knowledge of crime in Vallejo goes beyond copying and pasting data from this forums crime statistics page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland