Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 PM

48 posts, read 47,658 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I just moved to Santa Rosa from St. Petersburg Florida. We are in a hotel being paid for by my new employer. The new job seems good. I've had my share over the years and some that seemed great at first have sucked and vice versa but it seems legit so far. However, the area is... ruff! There are homeless people fighting everywhere!!! My wife or I can't go outside to smoke without at least one homeless or unsavory person asking for a cigarette... and that's in the back of the hotel On the property! Is it like this everywhere here? It's kind of scary. I lived in a ruff part of FL before and never saw this kind of stuff in 2 years! Also because of the strict gun laws in CA I gave up my guns before I left and I just had to have my pitbull put down so I feel pretty defenseless. Please tell me that there are nicer parts or places to live here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 PM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVImports View Post
So my wife and I just moved to Santa Rosa from St. Petersburg Florida. We are in a hotel being paid for by my new employer. The new job seems good. I've had my share over the years and some that seemed great at first have sucked and vice versa but it seems legit so far. However, the area is... ruff! There are homeless people fighting everywhere!!! My wife or I can't go outside to smoke without at least one homeless or unsavory person asking for a cigarette... and that's in the back of the hotel On the property! Is it like this everywhere here? It's kind of scary. I lived in a ruff part of FL before and never saw this kind of stuff in 2 years! Also because of the strict gun laws in CA I gave up my guns before I left and I just had to have my pitbull put down so I feel pretty defenseless. Please tell me that there are nicer parts or places to live here!

You can still have guns and pitbulls here...

Old 06-14-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
You can still have guns and pitbulls here...
Seems like a HUGE pain in the ass to get a ccw. Also, I'm taking a break from pets for a while...
Anyways, the point was is it like this everywhere here or am I just in a bad area? I've seen 2 nasty street fights in 3 days! Guns or not I don't really want to be around this stuff and I want my wife to be safe when I'm not around...

Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Santa Rosa is large. There are good and bad areas, same as nearly any other city of comparable size.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 AM

Ok, good to know. I just have to get use to the area I guess. I am at the Extended Stay North and work about 10 minutes away. I guess it's just the initial shock. I checked the crime ratings for Santa Rosa online and it was a 34 out of 100. St Pete got an 86 out of 100! I would never walk around certain areas of St Pete but most places felt 90% safe. Delray beach Florida had it's areas to. I can't wait to get to know this place a bit better and find a nice place to live... I'm sure that comes with a price! 🙄

Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Santa Rosa overall is actually a pretty nice & safe area. Being at an Extended Stay isn't a great first impression, most Extemded Stays tend to be in "rougher" areas, which leads to more of what you're seeing.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Quote:
Seems like a HUGE pain in the ass to get a ccw. Also, I'm taking a break from pets for a while...
Anyways, the point was is it like this everywhere here or am I just in a bad area? I've seen 2 nasty street fights in 3 days! Guns or not I don't really want to be around this stuff and I want my wife to be safe when I'm not around...

I didn't say anything about a concealed license, which i agree is almost impossible.

That's why i carry a knife. Which has deterred more than a couple potential confrontations. But that's in SF, where things are a bit more iffy in certain areas than Santa Rosa.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Look for something in the EAST part of SR,. Fountaingrove area is good.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:34 AM

126 posts, read 123,706 times
and out of reach price wise. Further east is Rincon Valley....... also southeast SR off Summerfield is nice. There's plenty of nice areas of the city but generally east of 101 is fine but there's also good neighborhoods west of 101 as well..................you chose the the wrong Extended Stay, the other one is in Fountain Grove area. You'd have zero worries if you chose that one

Old 06-18-2017, 03:36 PM

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider21 View Post
and out of reach price wise. Further east is Rincon Valley....... also southeast SR off Summerfield is nice. There's plenty of nice areas of the city but generally east of 101 is fine but there's also good neighborhoods west of 101 as well..................you chose the the wrong Extended Stay, the other one is in Fountain Grove area. You'd have zero worries if you chose that one
We are at the Fountiangrove one! Lol Thanks for the advise everyone. I'm looking. Any good websites to look at for rentals besides CL or Zillow, realtor? We are looking for cheaper, quiet, smaller.. maybe an in-law type studio/1 bed. My wife and I are minimalist's. We live well together in smaller places and sold almost everything we owned when we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: