Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 94,225 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm just starting my research on a trip that's in the works. But I don't know where to go. I'm hoping some advice could help me to better decide on the area in which we'll stay. We're planning on this trip in mid-late March of 2018.

I've been to San Fran and I enjoy it. Some of the other trip goers are winers(not babies, they like to drink wine a lot) and are hoping to stay in the valley. I'm just worried that we're going to go and be bored...I mean, how many wineries can you go to until it's just..boring?

Reading up on the Napa Valley and Sonoma only highlights their wineries, scenery, and hot air balloon rides. Is there more? How is the night life? The dining? Shopping? Even though half of us are winers...the other half aren't, so deciding on a happy medium for the group would be ideal.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post
Hey all. I'm just starting my research on a trip that's in the works. But I don't know where to go. I'm hoping some advice could help me to better decide on the area in which we'll stay. We're planning on this trip in mid-late March of 2018.

I've been to San Fran and I enjoy it. Some of the other trip goers are winers(not babies, they like to drink wine a lot) and are hoping to stay in the valley. I'm just worried that we're going to go and be bored...I mean, how many wineries can you go to until it's just..boring?

Reading up on the Napa Valley and Sonoma only highlights their wineries, scenery, and hot air balloon rides. Is there more? How is the night life? The dining? Shopping? Even though half of us are winers...the other half aren't, so deciding on a happy medium for the group would be ideal.

You could do both? It's not like they are worlds away from each other

Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoy View Post

Split up for the day? No there isn't much outside of the wineries and Wine Country is boring and overrated as hell imo. Some amazing restaurants though and "spa resorts" if that's your thing but the downtown's are small and can be covered pretty quickly imo. Stay in SF imo and do a day trip with your whino friends and if they want more let them go themselves again. I personally despise wine country and the only time I go is for weddings. It's nothing worth more than a day imo unless you want to rest and relax at a spa/resort for a weekend but in March you won't even have nice pool weather.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
The closest you'll have to any sort of city life would be downtown Napa, which is a pretty small City. There are clusters of shops, restaurants, live music, that sort of thing, but it's more equivalent to one neighborhood in a big city. But it might be a preferable jumping-off point so you can walk around, grab coffee, people watch, etcetera

Old 08-23-2017, 01:43 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Split up for the day? No there isn't much outside of the wineries and Wine Country is boring and overrated as hell imo. Some amazing restaurants though and "spa resorts" if that's your thing but the downtown's are small and can be covered pretty quickly imo. Stay in SF imo and do a day trip with your whino friends and if they want more let them go themselves again. I personally despise wine country and the only time I go is for weddings. It's nothing worth more than a day imo unless you want to rest and relax at a spa/resort for a weekend but in March you won't even have nice pool weather.
I'd agree, but I like the wine country, unlike sav858. Use SF as your base, then you can go to wine country or places like Muir Woods, drive along Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM

We're only going for a 4 day/3 night trip, so just trying to make the most of our time. But it seems like we could cover the area in a day or two. Thank you for your response.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Thank you. What you've described is what I feared. Thank you for sharing. A day trip to the valley it is!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
The closest you'll have to any sort of city life would be downtown Napa, which is a pretty small City. There are clusters of shops, restaurants, live music, that sort of thing, but it's more equivalent to one neighborhood in a big city. But it might be a preferable jumping-off point so you can walk around, grab coffee, people watch, etcetera
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
There are outlet malls in Napa and Sonoma, that are great for shopping. There are historic sites to see in Sonoma, if you're into that, but that would involve some driving around, of course. Sonoma also has some redwood forests. It all depends on what you're interested in. I can't help you re: nightlife, it's not my thing.
http://www.sonomacounty.com/articles...ornia-redwoods
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/napa

Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
Sonoma is so much more affordable and laid back. It's terrible what's happened to Napa. Downtown Sonoma is actually pretty nice, with plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland