Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 PM

62 posts, read 310,868 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of very good condo deals in the San Rafael canal area right now. I know this is a lower income, primarily Latino community, but is there any actual, significant crime activity in the area, or have the Caucasian yuppies in Marin given the area a stigma because the Canal residents have a different skin color and speak Spanish as a first language? I checked the crime map and the stats are slightly higher than the rest of San Rafael, but can anyone who lives there tell me if it's really that bad? Is it like Marin City where there are actual (recent) murders and frequent drug deals, or is the stigma against the Canal just racist hype? It seems like a nice area, with family barbecues and well-kept lawns and nice kids riding their bikes... what's the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Keep in mind, Marin is the wealthiest county in the nation. There is a definite bias against people who work in service or construction, which the majority of male workers do in that area. I wouldn't worry about crime in the area. I don't know about condos in lower-income areas, though. Pack your patience for sure if you want to go that route.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
I also don't know anything about condos in the Canal. The crime rate there, as I understand it, is slightly higher than most areas in Marin, but it shouldn't be considered to be a high crime area. It is densely populated, mostly minority, and a fairly low income area, but the community is pretty family oriented. The crimes I hear of are petty thefts and such. There is some gang activity, but not murders. There is a nice community center, the neighborhood primary school is newly re-built and a good school, and the County has medical and social services close by. And there are some pricey houses right along the edge of it, by the canal. Of course, you should check out crime rates with the police dept, and get other, more authoritative information about the area before buying. I'm just giving my impression.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 28,519 times
THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY MURDERS THERE! READ THE MARIN IJ!
It didn't use to be that way. It was an area where young people, couples, divorced, etc. could afford to live. I use to work in that area 25 years ago. Now, I wouldn't walk down a street in that area. It is not safe. The City should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get that way. They could have stopped it long ago, simply by enforcing zoning laws, allowing Homeland Security to do their job, etc. Instead they cater to the community.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,198 times
Default Curb your bias please,

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
There are a lot of very good condo deals in the San Rafael canal area right now. I know this is a lower income, primarily Latino community, but is there any actual, significant crime activity in the area, or have the Caucasian yuppies in Marin given the area a stigma because the Canal residents have a different skin color and speak Spanish as a first language? I checked the crime map and the stats are slightly higher than the rest of San Rafael, but can anyone who lives there tell me if it's really that bad? Is it like Marin City where there are actual (recent) murders and frequent drug deals, or is the stigma against the Canal just racist hype? It seems like a nice area, with family barbecues and well-kept lawns and nice kids riding their bikes... what's the story?
Here's the deal from a Native Marinite. I resent your attitude about caucasian yuppies. It implies apriori assumptions on your part similar to the one you assume white "yuppies" have. There are kids in the canal that have gone to private Branson high school because of the generous "Yuppies" that have funded a scholarship program at that school - not something racists are either inclined to do or allow. I am not a racist yet have been called one many times, have been told "Go home white Honky! All of California belongs to Mexico!" and with that had two beer bottles hurled at me. I was born and raised in this town, I was home. They were from Mexico (they told me so). Here's another: "F***ing white people!" etc. I was calling them on their behavior, public drinking, very loud music, peeling out, driving too fast and general lack of respect for their neighbors etc. never once mentioned their ethic makeup, country of orgin or legal status.

At any rate, the areas that have the lawns east of Kerner are managed by hands on Home Owners Associations not landlords of large, hard to handle apartment complexes. Families move there because it is safer than west of Kerner. All three murders in the last couple of years occured west of Kerner and were gang related. West of Kerner is where you are likely to find most of the drug and prostitution problems and is the area that I was told by my mother that she ever caught me hanging out down there she would kill me herself.

In reality the demographic that mostly causes all the turbluence is the same that you would think. The 15 to 25 year old unsupervised or unattached males that hang around with nuthin to do that start drinking, getting loud, peeing in their carports, blocking driveways etc.

On the east side of Kerner we have all of the nuisance quality of life issues that many communities deal with and and a slightly elevated car burglary rate and gang tagging. The City works to clean this up fast as do the HOA's. Most of the people that live here on the east side are decent people that want the best they can get for their kids. We have a mix of most
Latino states/nations as well as Vietnamese, Black, Cambodian and White. I have been living here 10+ years.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsa View Post
The Canal neighborhood isn't very nice, much like Marin City but with a different vibe. Marin City is housing projects and a mostly black community and San Rafael's Canal neighborhood is mostly Latino (Mexican with significant Salvadorian and Guatemalan (and Peruvian) populations), as well as some black. The Canal feels very much like a housing project with its high density apartments and the whistles of people that echo throught the streets at night.

I don't recall any drug/gang related murders in Marin City for a few years (07' I think), but there may have been some domestic dispute homicides. Marin City seldomly has murders and is mostly an open-air drug market and has a LOT of armed robberies.

With that said, I think the Canal has more violent crime than any other place in Marin. There is a lot of drugs, prostitution, and gangs. There have been 2 or 3 murders there this year alone and a crime spillover into other areas of SR. Usually there are a couple 1-2 murders a year along with multiple stabbings and people being beaten with tire irons. I had a friend who grew up on Novato street and he said he saw his fair share of crime out there, including a guy who was shot to death right outside his window and another man who was stabbed to death around the corner from his doorstep.

Crime in Marin seems to be on the rise, especially in San Rafael and Novato. I don't have an explanation for the increase in San Rafael really. I know the Canal has strong ties with Richmond, but that isnt new or anything. As for Novato it is the cheapest city in Marin and has seen an influx in low-income housing and has more proposed to go up and with police lay-offs things can only be expected to rise.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 14,097 times
I live in Marin and am white, so obviously I don't believe the whole "white marin" stereotype. However, I do believe that there are huge generalizations made about Canal.
I was talking with some of the guys who live in Canal that I play soccer eith, and they said that Canal has a bit of the same problems as any city like drug dealers and gangs, that sort of thing. But there is so much less of that sort of stuff than many other places in the country. Many people who were born and raised in Marin, though, have not been exposed much to that stuff, so it seems really serious to them. In response to the question, as long as you have any life experience in pretty much anywhere but kentfield, Ross, or greenbrae, no, canal is not as bad as some mariners say it is.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 AM

29 posts, read 51,647 times
The Canal area is dangerous!! It is a barrio with most of the people being illegal aliens from south of the border. They have very low income. The canal area is the same as the Mission District of SF or East LA. The gangs control the area, namely MS-13. Google it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 AM

78 posts, read 208,042 times
Well as someone who has travelled all around the good old U.S.A. as well as hails from a very well to do area of Miami, lived in some very nice places such as Breckenridge, CO and some not so nice places such as New Orleans, Lousiana.. I would have to say that San Rafael, Ca is not only very charming and picturesque but also encapsulates the word "Safe" to me. I don't care how many "Non-Whites" live there, if that's any real measure of safety, but it seems like an almost idealistic, white picket fenced, quaint, quiet, Molly Ringwald sort of place to me. Any hispanic or otherwise non-caucasian presence just makes the place that much more interesting and welcoming. I come from a place where Spanish is spoken in all levels of society and is not associated with some underclass like it is in California. I find it a little offensive actualy as a part Hispanic. Its' a shame because Hispanics are, along with Native Americans, the first True Californians giving most of it's cities their name and colorful architecture. Here in Colorado, Hispanics are very much associated with the local culture, history, etc. But If they do resort to crime it is because they are certainly marginalized from this increasingly overbearing mainsteam American culture. A truely successful culture does not have great divisions between the rich and the poor because they value the quality of life that economic, educational and etnic equality can offer a society. Classist or Racist mentalities, even amongst it's richest and most "educated" to me represent backwardness. Quite frankly our culture is in serious decline and not because of Mexicans or Asians in my eyes since they usually desire strongly to integrate into American Culture rather than plunder it it like some "Other" races we all know about and watch on TV destroying our language and our values, ehem. Anyways, back to San Rafael.. I couldn't help but be amazed at some of the comments being left by what seems to me like misinformed, over wary suburban hill dwellers blacklisting an amazingly beautiful and leafy, not to mention historic little community that lies just minutes away from Urbania. Lord knows what these people would say about Denver or Salt lake City!!! (lol)

Last edited by MontyEX; 03-06-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM

37 posts, read 64,737 times
People on this forum can be so freaking ridiculous.

The Canal is not THAT bad, but I wouldn't choose to live there myself. It's really dirty and I would not have much in common with the majority of residents there. My usual auto shop is in the Canal and I have walked around while getting my car fixed. I didn't feel unsafe at all and I'm a white female in my 20s. It's really industrial and not very picturesque at all but I don't know about completely unlivable. I've even been there late evenings after work meetings in the area so this is not just a daytime perspective.

Again, this is in MARIN COUNTY, so higher crime rates than the rest of the surrounding area doesn't really mean anything. Just go visit and you be the judge, all this terror over the Canal is pretty silly IMO but it may be different for you. And, no, it's not the same as East LA. LOL, that's just crazy talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland