Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Sorry that you need to move. I wonder if you have considered the LA area? I have two sisters down there and they are both in a fairly conservative church, not mainstream though. (Not technically LA, one is in Lake Elsinore, one in Menifee I think.)

Maybe you need to stay in the Bay area for family?
Those areas are really far from Los Angeles! And they are very conservative. If you were to move that far out of the Bay Area, you would be well into the Central Valley, and you could also live somewhere cheap and conservative.

The Tri-Valley area used to be very conservative when I was a kid in the 80s. In fact, the entire 680 Corridor was dubbed Orange County North because the majority of registered voters were Republican. That is not the case anymore. Demographics throughout California have changed considerably. I now live in San Diego in a suburb that used to be the same way, formerly conservative and now moderately left-leaning and Democrat. That's just how California is. But if you notice that there are a lot of churches even in Liberal urban areas and moderate Suburban areas, you'll realize that there is a place for everyone. Plenty of liberal people go to church as well, just not those modern non denominational types of churches. But the Tri-Valley area definitely has its share of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
There are Christians all over the Bay Area, honestly - and even Republicans, believe it or not! It just depends on HOW conservative-Christian you are, and whether you need people just like you nearby. For example, are you the type who would be offended by a gay-friendly church? Does your blood boil at the sight of a Hillary Clinton bumper sticker? Or are you more of a "live and let live" type, who needs a church and some like-minded friends, but doesn't care what other people around you believe/do?

If you fall under the latter category, I think you'd be fine in the tri-valley, as there are plenty of churches and enough conservatives to not feel alone. If I'm not mistaken, Livermore is particularly conservative-Christian by Bay Area standards. But given that I'm a liberal Jew, you might have to take my advice with a grain of salt.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There are Christians all over the Bay Area, honestly - and even Republicans, believe it or not!
They just have to keep quiet about their opinions and beliefs, and hear how awful they are on a daily basis (even if it's not directly aimed at them).

Honestly, this is a terrible place to raise kids. I would never let my kids be raised here when they're so impressionable.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
They just have to keep quiet about their opinions and beliefs, and hear how awful they are on a daily basis (even if it's not directly aimed at them).

Honestly, this is a terrible place to raise kids. I would never let my kids be raised here when they're so impressionable.
Why does anyone need to hear about ones religious beliefs in the first place? Religion is a very personal and spiritual issue and doesn't need to be expressed vocally outside of the religious institution or close friends/relatives. I don't need lectures or rants at the supermarket checkout.

BTW, my 4 children are very kind, charitable, independent, and successful kids. They aren't on drugs, bully others, cut school or tell people that their beliefs are nonsense. They're doing great and don't belong to an organized religion. So from my standpoint, the Bay Area is a great place to raise kids. They've also lived in a very Catholic country for a time and there was no issue with that either.

Do you actually have kids? I take the opinions of child free folk with a grain of salt when speaking about raising kids.

Frankly, I read over some of your nasty, negative, angry and rude posts, and they don't reflect any kindness or any of the values associated with Christian beliefs. I'd be more concerned with you raising children at all with that sort of vibe because, yes, kids can be impressionable when the PARENTS are not kind or accepting of others.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:

What are you afraid of? What values do you think they might pick up?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteens View Post
Maybe 20 years ago but those area's are Heavily East Asian now. Korean, Chinese etc typically do NOT have conservative christian view points. I would suggest Susanville.
Ethnic communities, including Asian communities, would be more tolerant of conservative Christians than liberal white communities would be.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
There are a LOT of Korean Christians in the US, especially in Oregon.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
There are a LOT of Korean Christians in the US, especially in Oregon.
South Korea has the second largest percentage of Christians of any Asian country next to the (90% Christian) Philippines ; they are a large minority, about one quarter of the population. The Korean American population is disproportionately Christian. Korean culture is pretty conservative anyways (even if Korean-Americans are generally Democrats)

Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:

I really don't know about that. The so-called Bible Belt states often have the nation's highest rate of teen pregnancies and divorces.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Ethnic communities, including Asian communities, would be more tolerant of conservative Christians than liberal white communities would be.
Well, as a member of a so-called "ethnic" community, we're just like anyone else. As long as you don't try to impose your religious views on us, we're fine with you. I believe that religion is a personal and private matter that you share with your deity or spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland