Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
That wasn’t the only cause of the fires, don’t kid yourself.
Yes, it was a perfect storm (lots of fuel from previous winter, dry vegetation, high winds). But, had the vegetation been properly maintained, there would not have been the nearby fuel when the power lines were toppled. You have to assign some blame to PG&E for inadequate maintenance here.

How do we know they're maintaining all of the high pressure gas lines appropriately since 2010? Just think about how much infrastructure that is to repair. I highly doubt that they've had a chance to upgrade all gas lines, or will this be done in the near future, given PG&E's track record. Choosing to live adjacent to one of these lines is akin to Russian roulette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, it was a perfect storm (lots of fuel from previous winter, dry vegetation, high winds). But, had the vegetation been properly maintained, there would not have been the nearby fuel when the power lines were toppled. You have to assign some blame to PG&E for inadequate maintenance here.

How do we know they're maintaining all of the high pressure gas lines appropriately since 2010? Just think about how much infrastructure that is to repair. I highly doubt that they've had a chance to upgrade all gas lines, or will this be done in the near future, given PG&E's track record. Choosing to live adjacent to one of these lines is akin to Russian roulette.
It's the creeping Third World-ization of the US; maintenance schedules are deferred, land formerly considered marginal/unbuildable or unsafe (near high-pressure mains) is approved for development, as long as the hazard is "disclosed" (really? Gee, thanks. Other civilized countries don't allow development at all in hazardous locations of various sorts, in order to avoid disasters), all that's missing is bribery of local officials to get projects approved.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:46 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:

Of course they haven’t upgraded/repaired ALL lines yet, that will take time, as they own thousands and thousands of gas services, gas mains, transmission lines, etc....But I can 100% guarantee it’s in progress

Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Of course they haven’t upgraded/repaired ALL lines yet, that will take time, as they own thousands and thousands of gas services, gas mains, transmission lines, etc....But I can 100% guarantee it’s in progress
Of course it is. Just like Caltrans upgrading of our roads is in progress (since gas tax was passed last summer), but the roads I drive on are still in terrible condition.

Just saying, I wouldn't take my chances. There's a reason why the "dream home" is affordable.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,125 times
Thanks for all the feedback! I spoke to the city today and they informed me that there are two high pressure gas lines on the main street i'm near. One is 6 inches in diameter which is on the other side of the street closer to a different community and one is 3 inches in diameter which is closer to the community I would live in. I also found out I am at least 60 feet away from the closest pipeline (I computed this by finding the lot size of the two houses that are closest to the street, I would be the 3rd house on the street).

However there's some confusion on whether it's a transmission line, distribution line, and the PSI. I've been calling the City and PG & E to try to get more information.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Ever hear about the gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno in 2010?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Br...line_explosion

This is a 100% NO!
That was a horrible tragedy, but the exception proves the rule. That's happened ONCE, and it was a terribile accident. The odds of that happening again are minute.

As others have said, gas mains run all over the place. The question is mostly how old they are and if they are maintained properly. I would definitely try to get more info but not rule it out.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc322 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I spoke to the city today and they informed me that there are two high pressure gas lines on the main street i'm near. One is 6 inches in diameter which is on the other side of the street closer to a different community and one is 3 inches in diameter which is closer to the community I would live in. I also found out I am at least 60 feet away from the closest pipeline (I computed this by finding the lot size of the two houses that are closest to the street, I would be the 3rd house on the street).

However there's some confusion on whether it's a transmission line, distribution line, and the PSI. I've been calling the City and PG & E to try to get more information.
A 6” line and 3” are small. Major transmission lines are huge and would be the troubling ones to worry about.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Of course it is. Just like Caltrans upgrading of our roads is in progress (since gas tax was passed last summer), but the roads I drive on are still in terrible condition.

Just saying, I wouldn't take my chances. There's a reason why the "dream home" is affordable.
If you want, I can easily send you dozens of current upgrade/new build distribution projects ongoing in NorCal that you personally can drive to see for yourself, or is that not “first hand” enough?

Old 04-12-2018, 02:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Ever hear about the gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno in 2010?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Br...line_explosion

This is a 100% NO!
Also Walnut Creek in 2004:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...#photo-2117676

Old 04-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If you want, I can easily send you dozens of current upgrade/new build distribution projects ongoing in NorCal that you personally can drive to see for yourself, or is that not “first hand” enough?
Look, I believe you in that they're "doing something". What I don't believe is that they've mitigated the issue across their entire infrastructure, nor that this will be done anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland