Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
WARNING: Don't forget about that Hayward earthquake fault that they expect to erupt at any time.
All of Alameda County is on that fault line. And all of the Bay Area is impacted by one fault or another. If you are in fear daily for the the big one, your should probably move.

The "big one" is out of your control, you don't know when it will happen or anything else.Just be prepared and have your emergency supplies ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:29 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
All of Alameda County is on that fault line. And all of the Bay Area is impacted by one fault or another. If you are in fear daily for the the big one, your should probably move.

The "big one" is out of your control, you don't know when it will happen or anything else.Just be prepared and have your emergency supplies ready.
Sir I concur 100% with you on this issue and yes I am outta here.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:03 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have other places to consider, with the top choices being Los Gatos Mtns (around Lexington Hills or Scotts Valley), Campbell or North SJ, and the northwest Peninsula between Millbrae and Daly City. I like cool weather and beach accessibility, so the latter would be my first pick!
If you have Campbell or North SJ I would take those in a heatbeat over Hayward. I grew up in Hayward and the Tennyson Area has always been rough for a very long time. Will it change finally? I don't know.
My cousin just inherited a house off of Tennyson and I visited it last November. It hadn't gotten any better since I was a kid a long time ago.
My 2nd choice for you would be northwest Peninsula.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
WARNING: Don't forget about that Hayward earthquake fault that they expect to erupt at any time.
Meh, that doesn't worry me... I've lived on or near the San Andreas fault for most of my life, and survived the '89 quake! If I worried about things like this, I'd be stressed out 24/7.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:33 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
If you have Campbell or North SJ I would take those in a heatbeat over Hayward. I grew up in Hayward and the Tennyson Area has always been rough for a very long time. Will it change finally? I don't know.
My cousin just inherited a house off of Tennyson and I visited it last November. It hadn't gotten any better since I was a kid a long time ago.
My 2nd choice for you would be northwest Peninsula.
Yeah, I'd much rather live in those other places mentioned - but trying to find anything within my budget would be a challenge! Matter of fact, I met with the broker yesterday, and it wasn't great news. He can only get me approved for like $450,000 (even with my estimated $100K deposit!), which basically does limit me to a condo in Fremont/Hayward/etc. He gave me a few suggestions for increasing that budget, so I'll reevaluate and decide if it's worth trying.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 PM

95 posts, read 107,972 times
Gizmo, for $450K, Hayward is the very few cities in the central Bay Area that still has RE listings at that price.

Nowadays the city is not as bad as some thought, and is being gentrified everyday. The house price of Hayward has been going up in the past couple years.

Last weekend, I was at a new home sales office, and most traffic were tech and asian families - a few were Google and Facebook employees looking for a new home at East Bay that has close commute to their work.

Few people realize how nice the bay-weather is at Hayward, it is always comfortable as not too hot or cold. Hayward also has some of the best water from Hetch-Hetchy / Yosemite.

Bang for the buck, the central location of Hayward is hard to beat, hence more people moved from other overpriced bay area cities to Hayward.

With all the new developments being constructed all over the city (see listed below,) it would be good for the Real Estate property value of the surrounding areas in the near future.

https://www.hayward-ca.gov/business/...pment-activity

Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Good memories at the tennyson skate park. Heh. Killer bowl there.

Still, no. Haywierd is just dull, drab, with nothing noteworthy.

You'll spend all your leisure time commuting to places you actually want to be.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 PM

522 posts, read 736,336 times
If you can handle EPA, Hayward will be a walk in the park for you.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:15 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, I'd much rather live in those other places mentioned - but trying to find anything within my budget would be a challenge! Matter of fact, I met with the broker yesterday, and it wasn't great news. He can only get me approved for like $450,000 (even with my estimated $100K deposit!), which basically does limit me to a condo in Fremont/Hayward/etc. He gave me a few suggestions for increasing that budget, so I'll reevaluate and decide if it's worth trying.
Based on where you've lived I think you'll be ok in Hayward. I thought you had found options in your price range in those areas already-I was surprised you did.
Still your first home isn't always the best, but you can use it as a stepping stone years later. Just check the crime reports in the areas you look and then drive there at night on Friday to really get a flavor of the area. A realtor found me a 5 unit apartment and told me it was a quiet area. I told him go by there on Friday after work. He did and told me he was totally wrong about it.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:22 AM

866 posts, read 319,612 times
I grew up in this area, graduated from Tennyson HS and lived nearby until 2009. It was not good in 1976 when I graduated HS and went downhill after that. Unless there has been some miracle in the past 9 years it's old a sketchy south of Mission Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland