Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

He will be commuting to the Financial District. Wouldn't want to deal with too much crime if possible. Willing to commute to an hour or more if he has too. Roommates okay, but doesn't have any lined up and living with strangers might be dicy? Don't know.

Heard Alameda is a good place, but the commute may be tough. Can he even live in San Fransisco with such a budget? I suspect not.

Any ideas welcome. He will have a car, but that might actually be a liability and I heard car break ins are often? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
He will be commuting to the Financial District. Wouldn't want to deal with too much crime if possible. Willing to commute to an hour or more if he has too. Roommates okay, but doesn't have any lined up and living with strangers might be dicy? Don't know.

Heard Alameda is a good place, but the commute may be tough. Can he even live in San Fransisco with such a budget? I suspect not.

Any ideas welcome. He will have a car, but that might actually be a liability and I heard car break ins are often? Thanks for any help.

Craigslist is his friend. Look for rentals there. $2,000 should be enough for a studio (and possibly bigger depending on neighborhood) somewhere in San Francisco or outside of it.

If he wants to live by himself. his options are:

1. Live in a studio close to the Financial District, but parking usually cost extra or not available at all. The upside is he can bike/walk to work. Neighborhoods: SOMA, Union Square, Nob Hill.

2. Live in a studio (or one bedroom) in a more parking friendly but hip SF residential neighborhood that is a bit further from the Financial District. Will have to take public transportation to work. Neighborhoods: Hayes Valley, Castro, Potrero Hill, Richmond District, Sunset District, and too many to list them all.

3. Live in the southern part of SF where rent is generally much cheaper and the area is working-class and not hip at all. Commute by bus only and they are slow. Neighborhoods: Excelsior, Portola, Crocker Amazon, Visitation Valley, (Avoid Bayview).

4. Live in a bigger space (or cheaper rent) just outside of SF with access to BART or ferry, he should have no problem with parking in these areas. I suggest the following places: Alameda (take ferry), Oakland (neighborhood: Temescal, Lake Merritt, North Oakland, etc), Berkeley, Emeryville, Daly City, Colma.

5. If he really likes the suburbs and doesn't mind 1 hour (or longer) commute, live here (the rent is surprisingly affordable compared to SF): East Bay: Walnut Creek, Moraga, Orinda, Lafayette, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Castro Valley. Peninsula: San Bruno, San Mateo, Brisbane.

If he wants to live with roommates:

6. Just browse craigslist. Naturally, it's a hit or miss; but having roommates can be a great way to know people in a new city.

I'd say #2 and #6 are the most common for newcomers.

Last edited by beb0p; 12-02-2018 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Craigslist is his friend. Look for rentals there. $2,000 should be enough for a studio (and possibly bigger depending on neighborhood) somewhere in San Francisco or outside of it.

If he wants to live by himself. his options are:

1. Live in a studio close to the Financial District, but parking usually cost extra or not available at all. The upside is he can bike/walk to work. Neighborhoods: SOMA, Union Square, Nob Hill.

2. Live in a studio (or one bedroom) in a more parking friendly but hip SF residential neighborhood that is a bit further from the Financial District. Will have to take public transportation to work. Neighborhoods: Hayes Valley, Castro, Potrero Hill, Richmond District, Sunset District, and too many to list them all.

3. Live in the southern part of SF where rent is generally much cheaper and the area is working-class and not hip at all. Commute by bus only and they are slow. Neighborhoods: Excelsior, Portola, Crocker Amazon, Visitation Valley, (Avoid Bayview).

4. Live in a bigger space (or cheaper rent) just outside of SF with access to BART or ferry, he should have no problem with parking in these areas. I suggest the following places: Alameda (take ferry), Oakland (neighborhood: Temescal, Lake Merritt, North Oakland, etc), Berkeley, Emeryville, Daly City, Colma.

5. If he really likes the suburbs and doesn't mind 1 hour (or longer) commute, live here (the rent is surprisingly affordable compared to SF): East Bay: Walnut Creek, Moraga, Orinda, Lafayette, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Castro Valley. Peninsula: San Bruno, San Mateo, Brisbane.

If he wants to live with roommates:

6. Just browse craigslist. Naturally, it's a hit or miss; but having roommates can be a great way to know people in a new city.

I'd say #2 and #6 are the most common for newcomers.

Wow, thank you so much for your response. I just did a search on CL and it looks very promising, but hope they ads are real and okay. I guess you meet a person at the place and go from there. There are rooms for rent right there. Seems sort of too good to be true. $1500 or even less for a room? Sounds good.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:53 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,409 times
IDK who "he" is, but roommates to start out is a good idea until he can get a better idea of where he might want to live longer term.

Alameda is nice, more for young families with kids imo, but he will need to drive and park to get to the ferry as it's off in a secluded part of the island (it's also not cheap and doesn't offer a lot of departure times). He'd be better off taking a transbay bus.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
IDK who "he" is, but roommates to start out is a good idea until he can get a better idea of where he might want to live longer term.

Alameda is nice, more for young families with kids imo, but he will need to drive and park to get to the ferry as it's off in a secluded part of the island (it's also not cheap and doesn't offer a lot of departure times). He'd be better off taking a transbay bus.
Thanks. Just trying to help a family member in his mid 20's. Maybe Alameda isn't a good idea.

I am hoping now to get a shared room near the Financial District if possible or at least in SF proper somewhere. Thanks for all the help. Just needs a nice sized room and a parking place if possible. Will be working a lot and a very quiet person. Sharing might be the best option.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 PM

830 posts, read 487,184 times
I'd say get rid of the car and look for a nice roommate situation north of market street near (or in) the financial district. He ca take Uber or Lyft, public transportation or walk where he needs to go, and then rent a car if he wants to take a road trip to Yosemite, Tahoe, or Wine Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland