Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM

21 posts, read 51,275 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are supposed to travel to San Francisco area all next week for a vacation trip. Unfortunately, with the California fires, that trip is now up in the air. I'm not clear on the details of PG&E power blackouts and various issues with (air) travel in and out of the San Francisco area...

The issue is my wife suffers from asthma, and is very sensitive in that regard. I'm told the air quality (even in the Bay Area) changes from day to day and would likely be an issue with someone with breathing problems.

Any advice/insight on the impact of the fires with regards to air quality, power, logistics, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 11:22 AM

7,168 posts, read 4,567,553 times
We live in Nevada and when we have fires I have to stay inside because of my asthma.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:27 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Air quality is good to moderate now. The fire is 60% contained so as long as there aren't anymore wind events there shouldn't be anymore major fires or air quality issues. No more wind events means there shouldn't be anymore scheduled blackouts too. The city of SF itself isn't affected by those either.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:42 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,590,895 times
Air quality is good to moderate for Sf & areas north..northwest like Marin. Were you planning to be in Sf the whole time?

If she is unusually sensitive....it could be a problem....but usually people with respiratory illnesses are ok until it reaches unhealthy levels....some are more sensitive than others tho....

If you are worried about her......it wouldn’t hurt to postpone your trip....

Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,291,687 times
So far, the air quality hasn't been terrible. I was originally thinking it would be a repeat of how bad it got last November with the Paradise fires. It got so bad, I had to drive my family up to Reno for the weekend, so we could breathe fresh air for a couple days. It was making me sick breathing air indoors and we couldn't go outside at all.

I don't think it'll get that bad now. As another poster mentioned, the fire is 60% contained as of this morning and they're making good progress. The fire is no longer spreading rapidly and there are no major windstorms on the horizon. It might get a little worse, but I don't think it'll be to the same extent as last year. Now, I may avoid going to Sonoma/Napa wine country for the next week, but I think you'll be ok for the rest of the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland