Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:09 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Actually, Fremont is on the west side of Newark too. Newark doesn't completely extend into to the bay. The bay (apart from areas that fall under federal/regional park property) is under Fremont jurisdiction. For example, if you're heading east on the Dumbarton bridge, you'll pass a "Fremont City Limit" sign before you get into Newark. Also, if you enter into Don Edwards National Wildlife Refuge off Thornton Ave. you'll pass another "Fremont City Limit" sign as you're leaving Newark into the park. To the west of Newark is Don Edwards and also Coyote Hills Regional Park with hiking trails that lead up hills and also out to the bay- both parks are outside of Newark though.

Another useless fact : Fremont and San Jose also border each other at the west end of Dixon Landing Rd.
Another fact, but not a useless one:

Anyone 62 or older can buy an annual ($20) or Lifetime ($80) Senior Pass at Don Edwards N W..R. to access The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands. Military and 4th Graders can get free annual passes, as can volunteers For more information on passes, see the following National Parks Service website:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/pa...P_JUMP_5088578
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Another fact, but not a useless one:

Anyone 62 or older can buy an annual ($20) or Lifetime ($80) Senior Pass at Don Edwards N W..R. to access The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands. Military and 4th Graders can get free annual passes, as can volunteers For more information on passes, see the following National Parks Service website:

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/pa...P_JUMP_5088578

That IS good information! I'd also add that it's free to access the trails in both parks. I usually park in the lot near the visitor center at Don Edwards and that lot is free. It's an easy hike over the hill and down to the trails by the bay from there. If you'd also like to head over to Coyote Hills, there's a bridge over the Dumbarton toll plaza that connects the two parks.

It's easy to feel stuck in the Bay Area hustle and bustle, and then you head out to parks like these and you feel like your worlds away from it! I highly recommend a visit to either of these two parks if you're in/around Fremont or Newark. It's a good way to be reminded of what a special place the Bay Area still is.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
That IS good information! I'd also add that it's free to access the trails in both parks. I usually park in the lot near the visitor center at Don Edwards and that lot is free. It's an easy hike over the hill and down to the trails by the bay from there. If you'd also like to head over to Coyote Hills, there's a bridge over the Dumbarton toll plaza that connects the two parks.

It's easy to feel stuck in the Bay Area hustle and bustle, and then you head out to parks like these and you feel like your worlds away from it! I highly recommend a visit to either of these two parks if you're in/around Fremont or Newark. It's a good way to be reminded of what a special place the Bay Area still is.
Glad it helped you. Bonus is that they sell Wildlife Refuge sweatshirts/T-shirts in their small office.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:30 PM

124 posts, read 110,709 times
I like Fremont the way it is. It already has a lot of restaurants/places to eat, chain stores, parks, hills, etc. It is a family suburb and it would be nice if it stayed that way. Fremont is kind of like a hidden gem, most people living in the south bay and peninsula don't realize how nice Fremont is. If Fremont urbanized, that would cause more traffic and more people to move here .

Old 12-20-2020, 11:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
That's why I live in Mountain View: good for both singles and families. In some ways, downtown Mountain View is more vibrant than downtown San Jose but also a couple of blocks away from "suburbia." Fremont is too boring for a young single guy.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:05 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
I agree with you, OP - it is just sprawling suburbs of the five areas (not sure what they call them) . . . the city should be really focusing on building highrises and creating a real "downtown."

Old 12-21-2020, 03:03 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,466,933 times
Looking at Fremont from Google maps there are lots of parking lots and strip malls downtown that could be retrofitted. All of the Bay Area is very NIMBY and I'm not sure about the demands for high density with the remote work exodus but I could see more miss middle mid rise type developments.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I agree with you, OP - it is just sprawling suburbs of the five areas (not sure what they call them) . . . the city should be really focusing on building highrises and creating a real "downtown."
You want high-rises? Why not put them in Milpitas? Fremont is just not a high-rise kind of town.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:57 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,247 times
Quote:
You want high-rises? Why not put them in Milpitas? Fremont is just not a high-rise kind of town.
Some peopl want what they want and do not care what others want. Of course they must be right and the others wrong.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
I agree with this. I'm not understanding this desire for high-rises for the sake of high-rises. Besides which, building high-rises isn't the only way to create a downtown. Berkeley has always had a downtown, but no real high-rises. High-rises aren't necessary for there to be a "real" downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland