Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 02:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with this. I'm not understanding this desire for high-rises for the sake of high-rises. Besides which, building high-rises isn't the only way to create a downtown. Berkeley has always had a downtown, but no real high-rises. High-rises aren't necessary for there to be a "real" downtown.
There's a lot more that can be built out near the BART stations to promote smart development. This doesn't need to be pushed down to Milpitas (or whatever other city) due to NIMBYism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 06:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree with this. I'm not understanding this desire for high-rises for the sake of high-rises. Besides which, building high-rises isn't the only way to create a downtown. Berkeley has always had a downtown, but no real high-rises. High-rises aren't necessary for there to be a "real" downtown.
They think it will drop costs and ... if having been to a University away from home, they spent a lot of time in bars, restaurants, etc and want to keep doing that.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:03 AM

106 posts, read 235,776 times
Agree that we should be encouraging more density around Bart stations, and Central Fremont hasn't historically done that. There are currently plans to replace some of the dead malls (Fremont Hub, Town Square plaza) with mid-rise building (4-6 stories). Also in central Fremont most of the empty lots are being replaced with buildings of similar scale, and first floor retail. Right now, the retail on the completed strips is empty since no one is really investing in retail at the moment, but over time, hopefully this area will become more vibrant.

I do think that Fremont would benefit from having a stronger community balance between family / non-families, and the central part of Fremont has a lot of potential to be a great walkable, mixed-use community for singles (and seniors) to balance the historically narrow focus on single family housing.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:01 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
There's a lot more that can be built out near the BART stations to promote smart development. This doesn't need to be pushed down to Milpitas (or whatever other city) due to NIMBYism.
So where exactly do you propose where mid-to-high rises are not close to earthquake faults or liquefaction risks, will have no negative environmental impact whatsoever, and will not disturb shopping for current residents, nor cause more traffic, nor block light or sunshine for current residents and will not be built on old steel sites or where there will be strain on water or other resources?

Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM

23 posts, read 11,201 times
I'm a bit divided on this. On one hand, as a single guy in his 20's, Fremont is a pretty boring place. On the other hand, it's a decent place to live for people working in the Silicon Valley, who have families. It's meant to be a commuter suburban town, for settled-down family types. Nothing wrong with that. I just feel like that's just the nature of the beast of Fremont.

Personally, I am looking to move, maybe sometime in the next year. Granted it all depends on how long the pandemic lasts. Even with the vaccines, it could be a while before things completely open up. It also depends on my money saving.

That being said, Fremont does look like it's in need of a major face lift. It's worn-out, run-down, and quite frankly pretty "ghetto". I think there needs to be something done about affordable housing for lower-income people. Granted I don't plan settling down and starting a family, but if I did have one, Fremont would not be my first choice. And is it me, or does this area seem, hostile? Everyone just seems on edge.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:59 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Fremont has a really fun improv show. https://madeuptheatre.com/upcoming-shows/

We used to go watch it when we lived int he Bay Area & had an Indian meal beforehand. It seems like a nice family town.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:07 AM

124 posts, read 110,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGuy1993 View Post
I'm a bit divided on this. On one hand, as a single guy in his 20's, Fremont is a pretty boring place. On the other hand, it's a decent place to live for people working in the Silicon Valley, who have families. It's meant to be a commuter suburban town, for settled-down family types. Nothing wrong with that. I just feel like that's just the nature of the beast of Fremont.

Personally, I am looking to move, maybe sometime in the next year. Granted it all depends on how long the pandemic lasts. Even with the vaccines, it could be a while before things completely open up. It also depends on my money saving.

That being said, Fremont does look like it's in need of a major face lift. It's worn-out, run-down, and quite frankly pretty "ghetto". I think there needs to be something done about affordable housing for lower-income people. Granted I don't plan settling down and starting a family, but if I did have one, Fremont would not be my first choice. And is it me, or does this area seem, hostile? Everyone just seems on edge.
If you think Fremont is run down and old, Take a look at Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley and Oakland, it will make you appreciate how nice Fremont really is. There are actually a lot of things to do in Fremont, especially being that it is a family oriented suburb. But yeah, if you want more fun, you may have to move to SF or the south bay.

Where are you meeting hostile people in Fremont??? lol. Everytime I am in Fremont most people I run across are friendly and say hello. Not sure where you are going?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:29 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
I am guessing OP prefers living in the city urban SF setting, but can't afford it.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:45 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,463 times
New Park Mall has a billion dollar revitalization planned.
https://www.facebook.com/NewarkResid...39088197960491

Old 02-09-2021, 03:38 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
New Park Mall has a billion dollar revitalization planned.
https://www.facebook.com/NewarkResid...39088197960491

Plans for developing NewPark Mall have been ongoing for years. Who knows what will ever actually become of it. Not to be too nit-picky, but NewPark is actually in Newark, not Fremont. it's part of Newark's general development plan so really doesn't have anything to do with how Fremont chooses to develop.

As for Fremont's downtown plans, those also have been in the planning stages for years. It's anybody's guess as to when that will actually materialize. Development in the area where downtown has been planned has been VERY slow going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland