Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:45 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't know how it will affect tourism as it will be hard to tell whether its pandemic or crime/QOL related but SF has had a fair amount of bad press with regards to conventions cancelling and tourists not feeling safe before the pandemic.

VIRAL SKATEBOARDER 'DOGGFACE' RENTAL CAR BREAK-IN IN SAN FRANCISCO... Goes to L.A. in Fear

Eventually stuff like this can catch up to a destination.
It's so pitiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:22 AM

85 posts, read 70,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It's so pitiful.
oh well. people of San Trashisco voted for this and I have zero sympathy. I'm just enjoying the popcorn hahaha.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:20 PM

8,672 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
That depends on how you define "super star", you seem to be using a different definition than me. I was thinking more of economic might than tourist appeal. I don't agree either that tourism necessarily attracts white collar jobs too as their are cities that are popular with tourists that don't have a large share of well paid, white collar jobs. San Diego for example, attracts a lot of people who visit and in turn want to live there but don't or end up leaving after a while because the lack of high paying jobs.
Part of economic might is a $10B tourism industry (pre-pandemic) as is a region's natural beauty, recreational opportunities/livability and top universities in the world i.e. Stanford, UC Berkeley and UCSF. In other words, many will have more of a say/interest in where they live (beyond employment) relative to restructuring/technology and (more-permanent) WFH scenarios, if desired (unlike your past example re: San Diego).

That said, 'super star status', as written, is (meaningless) fluff. :-)

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-14-2021 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 10:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Part of economic might is a $10B tourism industry (pre-pandemic) as is a region's natural beauty, recreational opportunities/livability and top universities in the world i.e. Stanford, UC Berkeley and UCSF. In other words, many will have more of a say/interest in where they live (beyond employment) relative to restructuring/technology and (more-permanent) WFH scenarios, if desired (unlike your past example re: San Diego).

That said, 'super star status', as written, is (meaningless) fluff. :-)
Sure but not by itself or if it was the one of the dominant industries in the region. Not sure what natural beauty and recreation activities have anything to do with “economic might” either.

I don’t really get what you’re saying in your second sentence. The way you write makes it difficult to understand.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Sure but not by itself or if it was the one of the dominant industries in the region. Not sure what natural beauty and recreation activities have anything to do with “economic might” either.
How can you not understand how a $10B industry plays a part in the economy, or a well-educated population, for that matter? It speaks to the desirability of living in the region, by comparison, in light of extensive corporate restructuring and technology (even pre-pandemic) in which the location of one's company will (continue to) play a smaller role in one's decision on where to live.

Quote:
I don’t really get what you’re saying in your second sentence. The way you write makes it difficult to understand.
Fluff (per Oxford English) meaning, 'entertainment or writing perceived as trivial or superficial' i.e. lacking depth/measurable fact.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How can you not understand how a $10B industry plays a part in the economy, or a well-educated population, for that matter? It speaks to the desirability of living in the region, by comparison, in light of extensive corporate restructuring and technology (even pre-pandemic) in which the location of one's company will (continue to) play a smaller role in one's decision on where to live.
I understand the part it plays, I'm just saying you don't really want it to be the dominant industry for reasons I think are obvious. I don't think being a popular tourist destination automatically equates to being a desirable region for people to live in. Do you really think places like New Orleans or Las Vegas are desirable places to live because they are popular tourist destinations?

Quote:
Fluff (per Oxford English) meaning, 'entertainment or writing perceived as trivial or superficial' i.e. lacking depth/measurable fact.
I was referring to your second sentence, not your list. This: "In other words, many will have more of a say/interest in where they live (beyond employment) relative to restructuring/technology and (more-permanent) WFH scenarios, if desired (unlike your past example re: San Diego)."

I don't really get what you meant there.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times
Quote:
I understand the part it plays, I'm just saying you don't really want it to be the dominant industry for reasons I think are obvious. I don't think being a popular tourist destination automatically equates to being a desirable region for people to live in. Do you really think places like New Orleans or Las Vegas are desirable places to live because they are popular tourist destinations?

I was referring to your second sentence, not your list. This: "In other words, many will have more of a say/interest in where they live (beyond employment) relative to restructuring/technology and (more-permanent) WFH scenarios, if desired (unlike your past example re: San Diego)."

I don't really get what you meant there.
Tourism is not the dominant industry. Nobody is saying that. The beauty of the bay area is that it is a highly diversified economy. And $10 bn tourism is an important prt of that diversification.

We are seeing it right now. Dropbox’s HQ got sold for a record price and it is converting to life sciences building because demand for biotech space in the bay area is scorching hot. We also obviously have tech, medical, finance, legal etc.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
There's also tech, finance/banking, medical science, biotech, manufacturing, (leading-edge) education, aerospace and so on (particularly relative to the Bay Area). That said, there's obviously a distinction between a desirable region to live (weather, education, recreational opportunity, ocean, the Bay, and a diverse economy) vs. 'tourist trap/gambling/one-trick pony' i.e. New Orleans or Las Vegas. So to answer your question, no - I don't think New Orleans or LV are desirable places to live (and never said they were). That's my point relative to technology/corporate restructuring post-pandemic i.e. many (more) will look beyond a daily place of employment as the primary reason to live in a region.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Not surprised. It's just continuing a trend that was going on for the past few years pre-COVID.

With Tech driving up COL, S.F.ers (and other Bay Area natives) move to SoCal (L.A./O.C.) for better QOL and COL ratio--if they stay in California.

L.A. has never looked better, until now, as the pre-eminent Western primate city with all the optimism around. Not surprised either as S.F. slowly ceded its pre-eminence to L.A. after the earthquake a century ago.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Tourism is not the dominant industry. Nobody is saying that. The beauty of the bay area is that it is a highly diversified economy. And $10 bn tourism is an important prt of that diversification.

We are seeing it right now. Dropbox’s HQ got sold for a record price and it is converting to life sciences building because demand for biotech space in the bay area is scorching hot. We also obviously have tech, medical, finance, legal etc.
I never suggested anyone was saying that. I was simply saying that’s not an industry we as a region should be ok falling back on if other more lucrative white collar industries start to exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland